Patek Phillipe

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
MaestroUK

Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:47 am

I have decided to invest this year in one. Question is which model and where to get best price and finance package to buy one?

I want a bigg (ish) case as i am a big guy and the gondolo white gold seemed ideal.

Any suggestions or advice?
stultus77

Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:58 pm

...by giving us a little more information about your tastes, resources, etc. Since new Pateks at retail go for anywhere from $8,000 to $500,000, just saying "I want a big Patek" doesn't give us much information about what may be a good watch for you.

Personally, I would forget about "investing" in any Patek, since the hot models like the Gondolos and 5970 are already marked up with huge premiums (even at most of the authorized dealers). Unless you are a long-time customer, places that sell without a premium (e.g., the Geneva boutique) won't even put you on the waiting list for if you are a first time buyer.

For me, watches have become such a frustrating hobby with all of the speculators and brand building that I decided that bespoke shoes and suits (at least the right ones) embody more of the ideals of traditional craftsmanship.
MaestroUK

Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:40 pm

I am looking at max of 18,000 dollars.

I liek the gondolo 5110 and i know where i cna get one new at retail, plus a small discount.

I just wnat to ensure i am getting the right model.
storeynicholas

Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:02 am

Considered Breguet? Less known but older house and everyone who was anyone, from Marie-Antoinette to well, Napoleon and Churchill had them. However, there is something to be said for not having a watch at all. In Brazil and probably any latin or asian country, it is totally TOTALLY pointless..........
best,
NJS.
DD MacDonald

Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:20 pm

I've no experience with this dealer, but he has many good referrals. Put in a couple of extra bucks, negotiate a bit and buy this:

http://www.pduggan.com/cart/proddetail.php?prod=M18129
HappyStroller

Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:05 pm

Are you sure it's a Gondolo (i.e., not round) and not the round World Time model, e.g., follow this link http://www.timemerchants.com/patek_PP5.htm ?
MaestroUK wrote:I am looking at max of 18,000 dollars.

I liek the gondolo 5110 and i know where i cna get one new at retail, plus a small discount.

I just wnat to ensure i am getting the right model.
RWS

Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:24 pm

I'd second Nicholas's commendation of Breguet, which allow one "to hold the mind of a genius in his hand." And the graceful beauty of the best of their watches is incomparable. Had I not been given a PP, and had I unlimited funds . . . .

I would urge a shopper to consider, too, the simpler watches. I am more than content with an automatic that has but three hands. The complications of sounds and additional hands (day, month, moonphase, who-knows-what-else) I find distracting, even disquieting. For me, at least, wearing such a watch would impede living elegantly!
lancepryor

Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:39 pm

As an owner of simple styles of both manufacturers (PP and Breguet), I would say that PP is a far better investment. While both of my watches work well, my wife's Breguet has literally spent 1/2 of its life at Breguet being repaired (4 separate visits over 5 years), and I am appalled that Breguet has refused to simply replace the watch. As to the brand image of Breguet, A. L. Breguet was definitely one of, if not THE, greatest horological minds in history, but a.) he's been dead for over 150 years, b.) the brand was virtually dormant for many years 'til being revived in the '80's and until recently did not have its own movement manufacturing, and c.) the brand is now part of the SWATCH group, which IMO undermines the connection of the company to its historic roots.

If you are going to go with Breguet, pick one up second hand, since as with cars I think you will take big hit on value when you drive it off the lot.

If I weren't going to go with one of these houses, I'd go with Lange, Audemars, or Jaeger LeCoultre.
tazmaniac

Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:54 am

BTW, the name is Patek Philippe, with 2 "p" and 1 "l". Just thought it would be worthwile to know before purchasing such a timepiece.
Aristide

Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:38 pm

While I am generally impressed by the mechanics and aesthetics of the PP Calatrava, I find the Vacheron Constantine Patrimony's styling a bit more understated and more to my liking. While it is conceded that PP's mechanicals are top notch, how does the VC movement compare?
RWS

Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:55 pm

I'm no longer certain. Before the Saudi purchase, movements for V&C were as fine as could be (and a joy for this amateur horologist to examine); perhaps they still are.
SJX

Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:05 pm

If you like a larger watch you can look at the ref. 5196, essentially an extra-large version of the classic ref. 96 Calatrava which many regard as the quintessential Patek simple dress watch.

As some other posters have suggested, you can look at Breguet, Vacheron Constantin and Lange for watches of similar quality and price point. Another suggestion is the Chopard LUC range, the models containing movements with the Geneva Seal are on par with Patek in terms of finishing. Quality of all those brands are more or less on par, but the look offered by each brand is very different. Vacheron is probably the most similar to Patek in terms of design, but I still give Patek a slight edge for its more coherent aesthetics.

But as someone else already mentioned, Patek has the highest resale value of all the brands mentioned. That is not to say you will make a profit on a Patek (though that is possible with certain sought after models that cost $50k and above), but the hit if you ever resell it is the least painful.

- SJX
  • Information