Churchill's Zipper Captoes

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Gruto

Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:05 pm

I bumped into to this picture when reading a book on Churchill. A zipper, really? I seems so!

whyescalar

Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:39 pm

Maybe not. One possible explanation is some sort of paddock boot. Churchill was an avid polo player up until his forties, despite his girth. Like most aging equestrians, maybe he kept the dress alive (think hacking jackets). Those look to me like something similar to the Kroop jodphur, or "turfman" boots.
storeynicholas

Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:53 pm

They were zips. He was old and rather rotund and it was the easiest option - same with his zipper siren suits. He went to Lobb's and Niklaus Tuczek and maybe others.
RWS

Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:59 pm

storeynicholas wrote:. . . . He went to Lobb's and Niklaus Tuczek and maybe others.
Cleverley's, I've heard.
rjman

Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:28 am

and Wildsmith and probably every other bespoke shoemaker in London, the same as he did with tailors as he used up credit at one and went to another.
storeynicholas

Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:57 pm

RWS wrote:
storeynicholas wrote:. . . . He went to Lobb's and Niklaus Tuczek and maybe others.
Cleverley's, I've heard.
I am not sure whether he went to Cleverley's as such (maybe) but George Cleverely was apprenticed at and later ran Tuzcek before he set up on his own.
storeynicholas

Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:00 pm

rjman wrote:and Wildsmith and probably every other bespoke shoemaker in London, the same as he did with tailors as he used up credit at one and went to another.
Yes, but they are all very proud of the remaining paperwork and records - just as someone cherishes a bounced cheque from John Lennon - and I daresay that the firms are prouder of having dressed WSC than they could ever be for dressing some modern 'celebrities', including some of the gangsters who call themselves 'businessmen'.
Leftbanker

Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:47 pm

For gents, more pictures from my bookshelf.
I've been interested in this unique " wartime style" for years.

Last edited by Leftbanker on Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
storeynicholas

Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:06 pm

I don't think that many people would say that either the siren suit or the zipper boots are very beautiful - but they were immensely practical for a man, who (however much credit he ran up), needed to save time so that he could do more than any other to save our freedom - although, sadly, look at what we have done with it.
bengal-stripe

Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:14 pm

rjman wrote:and Wildsmith and probably every other bespoke shoemaker in London, the same as he did with tailors as he used up credit at one and went to another.
There is a letter in the Churchill archives (although I cannot find it on the net again) where Churchill writes to the shoemaker Peal & Co, to complain, the firm had used the wrong leather for his new shoes, as they “drew his feet” (make them sweat, I presume).

I know nothing about the outcome of that particular case, if Peal accept or rejected the complaint. Maybe Churchill just wanted Peal to give him a large discount (he was a notoriously bad payer).
Leftbanker

Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:18 pm

storeynicholas wrote:I don't think that many people would say that either the siren suit or the zipper boots are very beautiful - but they were immensely practical for a man, who (however much credit he ran up), needed to save time so that he could do more than any other to save our freedom - although, sadly, look at what we have done with it.
I find two photos taken in 1930's- not in 60's !

Maybe, zippin'up was quite " cool " in that era, also for sir Winston himself.
Concordia

Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:57 pm

Leftbanker wrote:
storeynicholas wrote:
Paging Roderick Spode!
Leftbanker

Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:49 pm

Concordia wrote: Paging Roderick Spode!
Jeeves said " No zipper for true gentleman, sir ! "
Concordia

Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:50 pm

And what was his opinion of Sir Roderick?
Leftbanker

Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:59 am

Concordia wrote:And what was his opinion of Sir Roderick?
Sir Roderick must be inspired to design a zip- up foundation for fashionable women....Jeeves never knows.
  • Information