Church's sales?

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Britaly

Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:18 pm

Evening Gents,

I was wondering whether Church's have a Christmas/New Year sale in their UK (or European) shops. Could anyone advise? If so, what are the typical discounts?

Thank you.
rjman

Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:50 pm

Britaly wrote:Evening Gents,

I was wondering whether Church's have a Christmas/New Year sale in their UK (or European) shops. Could anyone advise? If so, what are the typical discounts?

Thank you.
Not sure, but they are usually on permanent sale at their shop in Washington DC, which given that the dollar has become El Peso del Norte, would probably make it the cheapest way to get Church's. Church's in Europe are exorbitant.
chelsea

Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:34 pm

Yes, Church's do have sales in their UK shops. Traditionally the sale starts immediately after Christmas - this year the sales may start earlier.

The discount is usually some 30-35% but one Church factory employee assured me that inferior leather was used on the soles of 'sale' shoes.
HappyStroller

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:50 am

I wonder how their quality compare with G&G, say.

And they have special words like Black Polished Binder and Black Appalorse Polished, which leaves me wondering what kind of leather those are.

Their prices are quite competive, vis-a-vis Brooks Brothers, e.g. 280 British Pounds, including V.A.T., or US$493 w/o the 17 1/2 per cent V.A.T., for a pair of Correspondent (a.k.a., Spectator) shoes. (See http://www.solelyshoes.com/acatalog/Churchs.html)
Last edited by HappyStroller on Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChriO

Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:46 pm

HappyStroller wrote:I wonder how their quality compare with G&G, say.
The comparison isn't fair: G&G's start at GBP 525, that's another price category. Leather quality, styling and finish of G&G's are clearly superior to Church's. I have a pair of G&G's on order, I was never tempted to buy Church's.

In the price range of Church's I prefer Crockett & Jones.

And they have special words like Black Polished Binder and Black Appalorse Polished, which leaves me wondering what kind of leather those are.
Special names for poor quality. "Polished" is Church's term for corrected grain leather. In my opinion it looks artificial, more like plastic than leather. My advice is not to order shoes made of corrected grain if you have never consciously seen this material.
C&J use corrected grain as well for some models, calling it "cavalry calf".
Other companies in this price range and of course below it have corrected grain in their product ranges as well, with different names for their corrected grain again.
Britaly

Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:19 pm

...between the Church's Shannon and the C&J Grasmere in cordovan. Price in Sterling is close, but I can't decide which to go with.. Any advice one over the other? :?
Algernon

Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:04 pm

Go with C&G. Their shoes are of better quality than Chruch's ever since the latter were bought up by Prada - I don't know who owns them now. My feeling is that you'd have difficulty finding a member who'd be inclined to recommend Church's these days.
Edward

Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:46 pm

It is my first post so I hope that it may be of some use. I am inclined to agree about the quality of Church's shoes but I have had some which have lasted for ever- I think they are probably rather hit and miss.

They are to be found very cheaply at Bicester Village (outlet shopping place) which, generally, is not an especially nice place but might be worth popping into if you are passing. I have been a couple of times but I would suggest calling them first to see if they have what you want in your size, otherwise you may have a wasted trip.
  • Information