Connock and Lockie

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

mdrake97

Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:07 pm

I was strolling along Lambs Conduit in Bloomsbury over the weekend and noticed a tailor's shop for Connock and Lockie.

Upon enquiry, it seems the cutter trained at Huntsman.

Full bespoke, completely handsewn, according to the man I spoke with at the shop.

Has anyone encountered this firm before? Experiences?

Kind regards,

M
couch

Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:23 pm

I have a friend who owns a flat in Lambs Conduit and I have walked past the shop (at least I think it's the same one) on several occasions. No idea it was a bespoke tailor. I'd also be curious to hear of experiences.
andreyb

Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:55 am

There is a thread on Connock & Lockie on AskAndy forum: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/foru ... p?p=654216

Andrey
Alderbaran

Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:16 am

and on the opposite side of the street:

Alderbaran
Grossgrain Silk

Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:18 pm

Sorry to be late.

Connock and Lockie have made me a suit which fits like a dream. I showed it to a MTM tailor to ask if he could copy the style - he opened the jacket up and told me that he'd never seen such detailed canvassing and that it couldn't be replicated. So I got a respectable grey pin-head from him and went back to C & L.

They already have my pattern, which is helpful because, sadly, the cutter died last year. His father (previously retired) is currently doing the cutting with a very nice Japanese assistant doing the tailoring.

But they really know what they are doing and they are nice people as well. My Heild cloth SB 3 button with 2 pairs of lined trousers (one with plain seams and one with overlapped seams), with a lining which contains a second colour piped all the way around is around £1700 all in, which I regard as perfectly reasonable.
storeynicholas

Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:53 pm

C&L are slow, deliberate - painstaking - and perfect: the shop, the attendance and the cutting full of Roast Beef for Old England charm - as Raymond Chasndler said of F Scott Fitzgerald: 'Charm, as Keats would have understood it.' They have dash and flair - without ostentation - and their clothes would go down well anywhere from Charleston to London, to Paris to Rio de Janeiro, to Colombo to Melbourne, to Cape Town and to Casablanca. Very sorry to hear of their bereavement.
Nicholas.
mdrake97

Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:27 pm

Glad to hear of some positive experiences, but sad that their former cutter is no longer with us.

Many thanks to all,

M
  • Information