Cufflinks

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

massimo

Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:57 am

I am making a trip to London at Christmas time. Where would you go to find classic cufflinks? I am trying to find a gold cufflink maker who can do my initials.

Thanks for the help

Massimo
Concordia

Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:06 pm

The obvious (and therefore overpriced) options are Longmire and Asprey.

If all you want is a nice pair of gold ovals engraved properly, there are doubtless more modest establishments who could do as well or better for less. Perhaps the silver vaults on Bond Street would turn up something.
whittaker

Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:49 pm

There are outlets in the Burlington Arcade that would be delighted to take care of you. My favourite at the moment is Richard Ogden, reliable and trustworthy.
Manself

Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:53 pm

I got a great pair from Hamilton & Inches, a jeweller and watch seller on Beauchamp Place in Knightsbridge. The cufflinks were a gift so I don't know who's idea it was to only have my monogram engraved on one side of each cufflink, but I always fear it makes me look rather cheap. One day I must get Hamilton & Inches to engrave the blank sides.
RWS

Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:35 pm

Manself wrote:. . . . to only have my monogram engraved on one side of each cufflink . . .makes me look rather cheap. . . .
I don't think that it does. Were I you, and if the single engraving bothered me, I'd have my crest (or, perhaps, arms) engraved on the other side. Had I no arms, I'd keep the other side plain, perhaps wearing the plain side outward.
  • Information