Wedding bands and men's style

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Sammyo77

Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:32 pm

This is a great question. My father has never worn a ring and I had no intention of wearing one either if and when I marry.

However, persuading women that this is a reasonable standpoint has never been as easy as I had hoped. I would be very interested in further discussion of this topic.
marden

Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:12 pm

It has never been traditional for a man in the UK to wear a wedding ring. The CoE marriage rites only changed to add the giving of rings (plural) in the 1960s/70s to make it standard. The uptake of two rings started some time after 1930 in the US and spread to the UK after that.

I don't wear one, neither does my father or my father in law.
JLibourel

Thu May 10, 2007 12:50 am

marden wrote:A chap shouldn't have a wedding ring at all - although this flies in the face of convention in the US and parts of Europe.
This "convention" in the USA is of comparatively recent origin. It is largely a European import. I think it only became firmly established after World War II. It was promoted heavily by the jewelry trade for obvious reasons. My grandfather never wore a wedding ring. I did during my first two marriages and found them unpleasant annoyances. I have not worn a wedding ring during my present marriage. I find the practice rather un-manly and un-American.
JLibourel

Thu May 10, 2007 12:52 am

Sammyo77 wrote:This is a great question. My father has never worn a ring and I had no intention of wearing one either if and when I marry.

However, persuading women that this is a reasonable standpoint has never been as easy as I had hoped. I would be very interested in further discussion of this topic.
Simple, tell the woman that your forgoing the ring will allow you to spend more on HER ring. That should surely do the trick!
Topper

Thu May 10, 2007 2:44 am

marden wrote:It has never been traditional for a man in the UK to wear a wedding ring. The CoE marriage rites only changed to add the giving of rings (plural) in the 1960s/70s to make it standard. The uptake of two rings started some time after 1930 in the US and spread to the UK after that..
Would be happy to agree with this, though Chaps, one must be realistic, despite what we may know to be correct, it is she who is the bride-to-be, that will make the final decision! :lol:
  • Information