Gin

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
luk-cha

Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:36 am

for gin based cocktails i think that gordons is best and make the most fregrent complements to post juices try it as a sour (double shot gin 20ml fresh lemon juice and 25ml of simple syrup, shank hard for 10 sec and strain and serve on the rocks) but for martini's Tanqueray no. 10 is the best also try it with ice wine insted of vermouth! and always stir!
Master G

Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:53 pm

On Sunday past, I was reprezenting the loungerati at an event where some of the leading bartenders on the planet (together with 'brand ambassadors' from the likes of Beefeater, Blackwood's, Bombay, Citadelle [Link], Hendrick's, Miller's, Plymouth, and Tanqueray) tried -- and spectacularly succeeded -- to have me sniff, swirl, taste, gulp, and eh, pronounce that their particular poisons were "the druthers".

Glassy-eyed, goosy-tailed, and hale of health, I then submitted to be shepherded onto something that could only be referred to as a "Gin Safari", whereupon I received a second set of drinks (Read: juniper stings), but this time in a glass with other things, and in a different place for each drink. Yessuh, that's right, EIGHT of the multiverse's finest drinking establishments were on the itin-itin-itinerary, and, rather amazingly, I made it through SEVEN of them. This madness started around four-thirty in the afternoon, and, were you to stick a mirror on the moon, you would have seen me boozing until close-on midnight.
I did almost die...

But, in the end, my favorites remain Plymouth Navy, Hendrick's, and always Tanqueray 10. Just don't ask why.
Western

Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:55 pm

Plymouth is a great gin because:

1)- it's not the gin that everyone else drinks, and any gentleman will not simply drink the swill that everyone else drinks. . .
2)- it was the gin that made martinis for Ian Fleming, the author of the James Bond novels
3)- it was the gin that made FDR's martinis.

If it's good enough for them, it's good enough to try. Cheers!
Jackson

Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:22 am

Marden, Bombay and Bombay Sapphire are both products of Bacardi. They're simply sold at different price points. I find both to be overpriced and neither to be very good. BS relies on a lot of, well, BS and marketing.

I'm quite a gin lover and for me it's Tanqueray and Tanqueray 10, Hendrick's (though it might not be the best choice for someone who's new to the gin drinking world), Miller's, and Plymouth Navy. Also, I have a cousin in Philadelphia who sent me a bottle of Bluecoat American Dry Gin and it's quite appealing. Makes a fantastic martini. I'm looking forward to receiving a second bottle to see how it plays in a few other drinks.

http://www.bluecoatgin.com/index.htm

To the OP, when you get a bit more familiar with the different gins be sure to check out Jenever from the low countries. I had to travel to the Netherland's quite regularly when I was working on a project a couple of years ago and got hooked on it. Of course it's also a nice change from the typical Dutch drinking options of coffee, beer, coffee, or coffee.
jasstoltz

Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:19 pm

Western wrote: 3)- it was the gin that made FDR's martinis.
I do like Plymouth, but I've read that FDR made terrible martinis.
Master G

Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:16 am

Modern Lovers of Miller's Gin should nip into Gintime to enter a competition to win two tickets for the launch of The Negroni Club, at Ronnie Scott's, next Thursday.
zhhooper

Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:54 pm

A committed martini man, I spent many years in thrall to BS. Somewhat older and wiser, hese days I would have to vouch for Plymouth, Brokers and Boodles for my regular tipple.

When I was first introduced to Hendrick's, I was cautioned against its use in a martini. However, I've discovered the mix of Hendrick's with a splash of Nya vermouth to be a most delightful (if acquired) taste.
zhhooper

Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:17 pm

zhhooper wrote:
When I was first introduced to Hendrick's, I was cautioned against its use in a martini. However, I've discovered the mix of Hendrick's with a splash of Nya vermouth to be a most delightful (if acquired) taste.
apologies for the typo-that's Vya....
JCM Greville

Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:37 pm

Having grown up in the post-prohibition Good Ole US of A I must say we have rather lost the art of drinking, so I applaud your desire to experiment with spirit. I lived in jolly old Blighty for a few years and must confess I returned to the US a gin convert. There is no finer drink on a hot afternoon than a strong gin and tonic. And for this there is only one possible gin: Gordon's. It may not be the most expensive, nor indeed have the cache of a trendy 'name' brand, but for this noblest of cocktails there is none better. I bid you a cheery 'skin off your nose'!
wegimental

Wed May 16, 2007 11:48 pm

I vote for Bombay Saphire. If you feel adventurous of a Sunday afternoon, mix a shot of it with 2 shots Pimm's #1 Cup and about 3 shots of Coke-Cola and about 3 ice cubes. Go to the hammock with your wisk, recline and enjoy.
Connemara

Thu May 17, 2007 10:17 pm

The best I've had is probably Tanqueray. If you're on a budget and must go for American gins, Fleischmann's and Seagram's are the two primary choices. Unfortunately, they're only about 80 proof each. When you compare them with something like Plymouth Navy Strength (57% alc., I think), the difference in taste is certainly noticeable.

Gin & tonic is probably my favorite beverage. After a bit of cleaning tonight, I may have to make a few...
couch

Fri May 18, 2007 10:10 pm

I recently did my own little Plymouth - Bluecoat taste-off at the Continental in Philadelphia. I was new to both, and found both excellent. I'm an up-with-olives (shaken) fan, and for that martini I preferred Plymouth--cleaner than Sapphire or Tanquery, the botanical balance clearly favoring the juniper with less of the Bombay balsam. Quintessence of gin, I thought. The Bluecoat appealed to me less in my martini, but straight it has very pure and seductive citrus aromatics--complex but not subtle. If you like your martini with a twist I'd expect it to be superb. Likewise in a G & T with lime, but I find the tonic largely overwhelms the nuances of top-shelf gins, so I usually make them with plain Bombay.
BirdofSydney

Sun May 27, 2007 6:37 am

Sapphire is too tart for my liking, especially for martinis (not that I didn't drink a whole bottle's worth of same at each of my last two birthdays...)

Having tried No. 10 it's delicious, very sweet however. The pricing here is exorbitant, but I believe less so elsewhere. Ordinary Tankers is good too.

My two favourites are South, which is distilled in New Zealand, and is an absolutely beautiful all purpose drink, and Imagin, which is Swedish and reminiscent of No. 10, but without the pricetag.

Ideally I would have four bottles of gin on my mantle - the two abovementioned, plus No. 10 or Blackwoods (something a bit special), and a litre of Gordons (for visitors I don't especially care for).
jekarwoski

Tue May 29, 2007 8:10 pm

I've enjoyed Plymouth, but for some reason, I've not been able to find it all that often. I just tried Bluecoat (American Dry Gin, distilled in Philadelphia), and thought the citrusy notes to be a refreshing addition to juniper.
Last edited by jekarwoski on Tue May 29, 2007 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Master G

Tue May 29, 2007 8:19 pm

I believe on Sunday, there is a Hendrick's Game of Croquet.
  • Information