Your Top 5 Colognes

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
Swann

Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:11 pm

A year or so ago rumours said that Guerlain plans to reformulate some of its classic fragrances, omitting certain ingredients that are listed as allergens by the International Fragrance Association (IFRA) - including such difficult to replicate materials as coumarin, birch tar and oakmoos.
Judging from what I have read, the accepted practice is that only new fragrances need to be totally IFRA compliant, the old ones can stay as they are, which causes some trouble.

As far as I know, Guerlain put their plans on hold and nothing has been done yet.

So a „safe“ EdT or EdP - according to Luca Turin suggestion - is one without or replaced raw materials which can cause allergic reactions, whereas the parfums stay the same.

Best regards.
uppercase

Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:12 pm

Swann, thanks for that explanation.

So, if I understand correctly, Guerlain has still not reformulated.

But if they do, they will not change the parfum; they will only change the EdT and EdP

So, for example, the Habit Rouge, and others, that we love are the same, untouched formula as originally made?

BTW, do you know which juice contains the coumarin, birch tar and oakmoos that you mention? Just curious....
Swann

Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:49 pm

Yes, until now the fragrances are still the same as originally made.
But if they do, they will not change the parfum; they will only change the EdT and EdP
As far as I know, this is just an idea of Dr. Turin.
aama19147

Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:57 pm

my colognes and their popularity with ladies...

1. J Peterman's "1903"
2. Sandlewood oil from the Body Shop
3. Grey Flannel
4. Herrera For Men
5. Drakkar Noir

I'm sort of in the Euromerican Trash "Kiss the ladies when you greet them" crowd, so they get plenty of chance to smell the cologne. #1 and 2 have got lots of compliments. One columnist (GQ perhaps...) wrote a decade or two ago that "Ladies like the smell of wood on a man" and that's when I started with the Sandlewood oil, and it has been very true. They also like 1903 a lot.

My only general comment is that the fruitier or daintier the scent, the less manly it is for a women. They like a like dose of a manly scent in my experience.

a.
Leyburn

Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:22 pm

Day: Hermès Eau d'Orange Verte.

A scent I never tire of. Have tried Concentré d'Orange Verte but found it less focused and a bit bland.

Evening: Hermès Hermessence Collection Poivre Samarcande.

Just switched to this at Christmas (from Creed Vintage Tabarome). A Jean Claude Ellena creation, it's fantastically peppery and quite unusual. Has also been getting alot of positive remarks from the fairer sex. Hermès really are onto something!
Newsman

Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:14 am

Floris JF
Marabunta

Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:38 am

Signoricci is my favorite, and my signature fragrance. These are some of the other scents, that I wear:
For winter: Memoire D'Homme, by Nina Ricci
Zanzibar, from Van Cleef and Arpel
Nu edu de parfum: YSL

Spring / Summer
Eau Fraiche, Dior
Jules, Dior
Ricci Club: Nina Ricci
marden

Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:07 pm

Ahh, easy question this one:

Floris - No. 89
Czech and Speake - Neroli

Dior's Eau Sauvage whilst not of the same quality isn't a bad number.
Marabunta

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:07 pm

marden, I wore Eau Sauvage from the ages of 18-40, as a signature. After I couldn't 'appreciate' it any longer, I switched to Signoricci. What about Dunhill Edition? I've read some glowing commentary, concerning this fragrance.
Aristide

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:36 pm

Marabunta wrote:marden, I wore Eau Sauvage from the ages of 18-40, as a signature. After I couldn't 'appreciate' it any longer, I switched to Signoricci. What about Dunhill Edition? I've read some glowing commentary, concerning this fragrance.
Dunhill Edition was my Fall/Winter choice for many years. I, and many of those in near proximity to me, enjoyed it very much. You may wish to check www.basenotes.com for further comments and review.
Marabunta

Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:52 pm

Thank you. A gentleman I know, of high style and impeccable taste, favors this fragrance. SCENTIMENTS has a great deal, on it. Not always an easy one to procure.
Mr JRM

Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:21 am

I just tried Terre d'Hermes - loved it, bought it.
Last edited by Mr JRM on Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mr JRM

Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:26 am

Has anyone tried fragrances from Bulgari and therefore able to offer comment?
Last edited by Mr JRM on Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Swann

Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:40 pm

I have a bottle of Bulgaris Black. It is a "massive", woody and smokey scent, with notes of tea and rubber.
I use it seldom, because it smells rather odd on my skin.
East Anglian

Thu May 03, 2007 7:58 pm

Creed's Neroli Sauvage is surely the perfect summer light fragrance.

Otherwise... Le Dandy and Terre d'Hermes, with the second being the more versatile - which probably means more conventional.

I tried to buy Signoricci in Selfridges (London) a fortnight ago but was told it had been discontinued. All they had was half a bottle of tester. It's probably still there if anyone wants it.
  • Information