Edward Sexton

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

spoonern

Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:36 pm

Following the Pitti Imagine savile row London Cut exhibition in Florence Edward Sexton appears to be becoming the grandfather of Savile Row. He was treated as a real legend by the Row while he was there. I see that he has a new website at www.edwardsexton.co.uk and as he does not feature very much here I thought that members might like to know more. I was at the exhibtion in Florence so mail me if you would like some photos.
Mark Seitelman

Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Yes, photos! :D
Jackson

Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:15 pm

I'm not that familiar with Sexton's work. I know he did work for Nutter and then worked for Stella McCartney. Photos would be great. Is his stuff bespoke?
spoonern

Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:55 am

Hi, yes edward sexton founded Nutters with tommy and was the technical genius behind the work. He then went on to help stella establish herself, creating all the tailoring blocks for her first catwalk shows at chloe in Paris. He is now based in Beauchampl Place knightsbridge producing only bespoke work, including shirts and ties. His trade mark is his attention to detail, see how the pinstripes match in the coat in the picture, and is regarded by the savile row establishment as one of the last great craftsmen around.
[/img]
sam

Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:14 pm

What is Sexton's house style? Does he make US trips? Price? Does he still do the cutting himself?
spoonern

Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:07 am

I spoke to Edward Sexton. He tells me that he is currently plannning his next US trip and will then post dates on his site. He tells me that in the meantime examples of his work are available at Jon Green in New York.
Mark Seitelman

Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:35 pm

Bruce Cameron Clark, who has his own "bespoke" shop on Lexington Avenue, used to work at Nutters with Edward Sexton and company.
smoothjazzone

Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:38 pm

Does Sexton make for Jon? Jon claimed to do all the work in house -- though I doubt it. Jon is a nice guy and the work is neat -- but I did not feel that the prices he charges are remotely justified. Starting prices for a two-piece were upwards of $7k and a typican suit was more like $9-10k. You can get better garments for considerably less.

spoonern wrote:I spoke to Edward Sexton. He tells me that he is currently plannning his next US trip and will then post dates on his site. He tells me that in the meantime examples of his work are available at Jon Green in New York.
bry2000

Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:48 pm

I thought Jon Green was more a clothier in the mold of Bruce Clark -- as opposed to being a cutter and tailor himself.
smoothjazzone

Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:04 pm

True
bry2000 wrote:I thought Jon Green was more a clothier in the mold of Bruce Clark -- as opposed to being a cutter and tailor himself.
Mark Seitelman

Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:34 pm

Jon Green will be at the Bespoke Exposition.

Based on my conversations wth Jon, he is a clothier/stylist, and his clothes are made locally by various bespoke tailors and shirtmakers.

At last year's exposition I saw some of his work which was excellent. Some of it was the best work that I have seen. E.g., he showed walking shorts which were totally handmade.

I am guessing that Jon offers his premises to Sexton so as to give another option to his customers. The best bet is to ask Jon at the exposition.
  • Information