Have I made a terrible mistake?

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

mdb

Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:13 am

When I was young, I had a ordered a made-to-measure suit from the outlet of a local high end retailer. It was to be my wedding suit. I knew little about what makes a stylish garment (probably not much better now) and when asked about the venting, decided on ventless. I have since read that this is a serious faux-pas. I would be interested in others' opinions.

Interestingly, I believe that Cary Grant wears a ventless suit in "North by Northwest," which is referred to elsewhere on this site (but I could be wrong).

Thank you,

Matt

Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:56 am

l don't see why it is a serious faux-pas. Oxxford puts out some jackets without any vents. lt's just a different style, that's all. l wouldn't be so worried about it if l were you. But, if it does bother you, just buy another suit. lt's not really worth stressing about. The most important thing is that the jacket fits well.

l.D.D
Mr JRM

Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:26 am

i think ventless is great to differentiate a non-business suit from a business suit (if you wear a double vent for business like me that is). I don't want to look and feel like I am work when I am out and sure as hell not I while I got married. bugger that! i think the simple lines of ventless are quite stylish and accenuate the lighter shades of solid plains (ie. greys) to great effect. less is more.
Sator

Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:49 am

mdb wrote: I have since read that this is a serious faux-pas. t
Who on earth told you such utter nonsense????? :shock:

Some people like their coats without vents because it results in a cleaner line - and stops you from putting your hands in your pockets in a sloughenly fashion. If anything it makes a coat a tad dressier as a result. Vents are for comfort and convenience, though I also like the way it gives the skirt a tad more flare.

http://www.cutterandtailor.com/forum
Last edited by Sator on Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
HappyStroller

Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:35 pm

Whatever; just consider that you may be the only guy in the World still thinking about that matter. So relax, old chap.
Mark Seitelman

Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:22 pm

mdb wrote:
Interestingly, I believe that Cary Grant wears a ventless suit in "North by Northwest," which is referred to elsewhere on this site (but I could be wrong).

Thank you,

Matt

I would say that almost all suits from movies in the golden age (1930's to 1960) had ventless coats. Menjou, Cooper, Grant, and others wore ventless coats. It is a slimmer look. Simiarly, almost all DB coats from that era had no pocket flaps for the same reason.

Therefore, the ventless coat is a classic.

Cheers.
mdb

Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:50 pm

Thanks to everyone who responded. I will confess that I read about this in an American issue of GQ magazine. I believe they referred to the look as being "stuck in 1986" - I don't get it.

Anyway, you have helped me avoid having to ask whether vents can be added to a ventless jacket.

Matt
kirsch

Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:49 pm

Yeah...that's because GQ is garbage.
mdb

Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:02 pm

kirsch wrote:Yeah...that's because GQ is garbage.
Hmm. What men's magazine would you recommend, if any? I have looked at Men's Vogue but find it pretentious and out of touch with the world I live in.

Thanks,
M.
Sator

Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:46 pm

kirsch wrote:Yeah...that's because GQ is garbage.
1+

You'll find nearly all of us concur with that sad indictment.

The only magazine that will get a nod of approval here will be the new Classic Style, courtesy of the folks from the Fedora Lounge:

http://www.classicstylemag.com/

I must confess that I have yet to receive my copy but knowing who the editors are and given the glowing reception on AAAC, I am quite confident it will be a worthy read.

http://www.cutterandtailor.com/forum
Last edited by Sator on Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
kirsch

Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:29 pm

Well, I'm certainly no pro when it comes to this stuff, but...

I don't really find any of the magazines to be that great. I do, however, find this online forum to be outstanding. So I have pretty much stopped paying attention to Esquire, Men's Vogue, GQ, etc.

Plus, with a forum, you can ask any question you want...AND get differing opinions. Can't do that with a mag.

There are, however, some books members of this forum have written that would do the trick. Have to ask around about that--I can't remember who did them.

--Chris
mspen

Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:56 pm

As a new member, I still have the reflexive hope that the month's GQ or Details or Men's Vogue may have something inspiring, but that hope is routinely dashed. I'm afraid that the first Classic Style didn't wow me either -- the concept is right but the clothes depicted were not. Apologies to LL members who are involved, and certainly the magazine deserves a much longer shot than just its first issue. Menswear (Quarterly, is it? -- I'm forgetting precise title) also has some promise, and has been around for a couple of years. LL would certainly fill the void IF more photos were posted. I would (desperately) like to see examples of excellent tailors' work with critical commentary and pointers. For example, the article on ways in which different types of shoulders are sewn -- that was a revelation. How about photos differentiating with as much clarity as possible an Anderson & Sheppard suit with a comparable one from Huntsman? That would be great.
mdb

Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:19 am

I think we've moved onto a new subject! :wink: Perhaps this needs a new thread.

M
edhayes

Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:25 am

as to the issue of vents vs no vents-when my waist was 32, I was no vents all the way.
now-well, now is different
HappyStroller

Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:36 am

Just give Classic Style more time, and they should be able to carry it off. Perhaps they need more contributors from LL.

I find it strange some of those Fedora Lounge people seem to think LL is not for many of them. There's even someone there that posts with the funny phrase "If there be Loungers, ..." or something like that. Hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes here.
mspen wrote:As a new member, I still have the reflexive hope that the month's GQ or Details or Men's Vogue may have something inspiring, but that hope is routinely dashed. I'm afraid that the first Classic Style didn't wow me either -- the concept is right but the clothes depicted were not. Apologies to LL members who are involved, and certainly the magazine deserves a much longer shot than just its first issue. Menswear (Quarterly, is it? -- I'm forgetting precise title) also has some promise, and has been around for a couple of years. LL would certainly fill the void IF more photos were posted. I would (desperately) like to see examples of excellent tailors' work with critical commentary and pointers. For example, the article on ways in which different types of shoulders are sewn -- that was a revelation. How about photos differentiating with as much clarity as possible an Anderson & Sheppard suit with a comparable one from Huntsman? That would be great.
  • Information