An Illustrated History of Formal Checkered Trousers

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Sator

Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:01 pm

I always like to imagine what sort of swatches one might find in a 19th century tailor’s shop. I imagine that there would be books dedicated to fabrics specifically for waistcoats - full of much colourful material - for that was where a gentleman was allowed to display his individuality. Alongside that I always imagine to myself that there would be books dedicated to trousers alone. There would a large choice of different striped trousers but of greatest interest to us today, alongside them would be many checks. Of all of these the hardest to find today is fabric that comes close to the sort of variety one finds amongst the checkered fabrics one finds on display in illustrations from the 19th to early 20th century. The variety seems exhaustive and quite unlike anything one would ever encounter in contemporary books.

Whereas striped trousers have kept a place in the canon of modern daytime formal dress, checkered formal trousers have become a rather rare bird. Perhaps they fell out of favour for looking too formal on the one hand for daily wear yet too informal to wear with morning dress. Yet I really do feel that one could yet wear them today as part of an ensemble for everyday dress - as something that alludes to the eloquent formality of morning dress - and indeed could well be worn with a morning coat - but which still would look informal enough for the workplace matched with a charcoal lounge coat (perhaps even SB single button with peaked lapels). I doubt that virtually anybody today would recognise the combination of checkered formal trousers and lounge suit coat as being in any way akin to morning dress any way.

Outrageous? Perhaps.

Before passing judgement too quickly I would like to invite you to look at how elegantly dandyish the look can be.

Checkered trousers first start to appear in fashion illustrations around the 1830s and remained a fixture of men’s dress for the remainder of the century and right into the twentieth century. Rather than start at the beginning I shall start later with the early 20th century with an illustration dated November 1902. In this illustration you see what is basically a lounge suit coat worn with checkered trousers. It is clearly not quite a stroller, not quite proper morning dress but a step down from that level. In view of a lack of text one can only imagine that by this time it would have been a step up in formality from the lounge suit but a considerable step down in formality from a morning coat. By this time dark colours dominated men's dress sufficiently that the classic pattern of a very sombre formal checkered trousering had become well established:

Going back in time to 1872 here is a striking example of a formal check. I really like way the checkered trousers on the gentleman on the left manage to be both bold and understated all at the one time. Although the plates are black and white, by this period dark colours dominated by the increasingly ubiquitous black, demanded that formal trousers worn with a frock coat as shown here would have needed to be in austere dark colours. It would seem that that tendency to drabness is being offset by the particulary bold checkered pattern of the trousers.

Next is an illustration from Il Gionale dei Sarti from August, 1853. The gentleman on the left in the frock coat wears trousers with a very understated and tasteful formal check. In contrast the trousers of the gentleman in the frock coat on the right are strikingly bold. Notice the scale of the checks and unusual change in pattern towards the hems. I particularly like the contrast between the scale of the checks on the trousers and the facings of the lapels. Again by this time darker colours were increasingly become the norm for formal checkered trousers and his trousers were likely to be in shades of grey and black:

Here is another example of understated checkered trousers from the Gazette of Fashion, 1850. You have to look a little bit carefully to see the check. It is clear that patterns of a scale such as this could only have been made with trousers in mind. Once again you can see how formal dark coloured checks have become standard:

The following example from Il Gionale dei Sarti September 1850 leaves no doubt in the mind that whoever made these fabrics would have done so specifically with checkered trousers in mind. Look at the very tall, thin rectangular pattern designed to make the legs look longer:

The next example is an illustration from 1847. The gentleman wears trousers with a light base - but more on this later. Notice the threefold lines which constitute the lines in the check. Again, this design was meant specifically for trousers:

By way of variation the next couple of examples from the Gazette of Fashion and Cutting-Room Companion are of some more unusual checkered patterns. The gentleman in the middle is wearing a rather exuberant tartan check pattern, which may have even been in a variety of colours. This illustration is dated October, 1853:

Here is a similar pair of trousers dating from 1860 in a full colour illustration which shows the bold colours in the check. As in the previous diagram the type of coat and colourful trousers identify that this would have been considered acceptable only as half-dress at the time:

And here are a couple of checks which appear either only at the bottom of the trousers (left) or exclusively on the top and bottom (right). This illustration is dated May, 1853:

Image]

Another type of checkered trousers popular around the mid-century had a white or cream coloured base with a bold overcheck. Their appearance in conjuction with a dress coat suggest these were acceptable with more formal daytime dress:

Here is another example with a rather striking diamond shaped overcheck (probably from the 1850s):

Here is a rare illustration of an example dating from the 1840s in Imperial Russia:

Well, I sincerely hope those of you who enjoy Etutees wonderful essays based around illustrations from the 1920-30s enjoyed this even a small fraction as much. Far from having merely subjected you to so much baroque bizarreness I hope to have opened your eyes to a lost world: the tailors of those times really new what they were doing.

Epilogue:

I should rather apologise for the confusion I appear to have created regarding formal checkered trousers. In retrospect it seems natural to think that the modern reader would have wondered what the fuss is about. After all checks such as the Prince of Wales check are quite commonplace in the modern wardrobe. So it would seem akin to claiming to have rediscovered the wheel to proclaim the classical formal check to be somewhat forgotten.

The thing is that these classical formal checks which has been handed down to us from late Victorian times are a different beast to their modern informal bretheren, just as formal striped trousers differ from the ubiquitous stripes on modern suitings.

By way of illustration here are a couple of examples of modern formal striped trousering out of my own wardrobe:

As you can see in both examples, the colours are sombre and muted, in shades of black, charcoal and lighter greys. So just as the pinstripes in your wardrobe are quite different to those found on formal trousers, formal checks are a completely different beast to those more casual checks lurking in your wardrobe. Browns, pinks, blues, reds, or yellows may all feature on your Prince of Wales check but during course of the 19th, the waistcoat eventually became the only place a man was allowed to show colour. The colour for neckwear, coats and trousers became very muted by comparison.

Of course this was not always the case, as earlier on in the 19th century colours were much more vibrant. Nonetheless the balance found in the latter 19th century between the boldness of the checks on the one hand and the sombreness of their colours reached a pinnacle of dandyfied refinement.
Last edited by Sator on Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:06 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Mark Seitelman

Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:02 pm

Excellent post.

It's very interesting that amidst the birth of the drab, Victorian black suit there were were splashes of color and pattern.
Sator

Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:23 pm

Mark Seitelman wrote:Excellent post.

It's very interesting that amidst the birth of the drab, Victorian black suit there were were splashes of color and pattern.
Thank you for your kind words. I am thoroughly delighted that you enjoyed the post.

Popular literature has done much to perpetuate the myth of the Victorian gentleman forever dressed in sinister black from head to toe. However fashion illustrations from that time often tell quite a different story. Waistcoats, as already mentioned were made of brilliant colours - so much so that they are unwearable today. In fact, at times I think that the modern man dressed in his charcoal grey or navy lounge suit has fewer flashes of indivduality to show for himself than the Victorian dandy.

I think the following photograph of the shirt and waistcoat of a gentleman embroidered with "J. White 1854" tells a very different story of Victorian men's dress:

The waistcoat is of tartan cut velvet worn with shirt studs decorated with portraits of ladies mounted on glass coloured metal surrounds. On the waistcoat is a 'fob chain' with various fobs.

Let me assure you this is subtle compared to some of the more gaudy examples I could show you!
Last edited by Sator on Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dopey

Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:45 pm

Sator wrote:. . . checkered trousers have become a rather rare bird. Perhaps they fell out of favour for looking too formal on the one hand for daily wear yet too informal to wear with morning dress. Yet I really do feel that one could yet wear them today as part of an ensemble for everyday dress - as something that alludes to the eloquent formality of morning dress - and indeed could well be worn with a morning coat - but which still would look informal enough for the workplace matched with a charcoal lounge coat (perhaps even SB single button with peaked lapels). I doubt that virtually anybody today would recognise the combination of checkered formal trousers and lounge suit coat as being in any way akin to morning dress any way. . .
By coincidence, I am wearing today a pair of checked trousers. The trousers are tweed with a tiny check pattern of browns and beiges with a small vertical rectangular overplaid (~2x3cm) in rust. My sportcoat is SB peak lapel in cashmere or very soft lambswool in a just-lighter-than-bottle green (solid beige shirt and brown tie with small woven pink squares scattered) woven small. Whatever allusions it might make, I don't think the effect is particularly formal.
Jackson

Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:55 pm

Excellent post Sator! I am always astonished by the breadth and level of sartorial knowledge found here in the LL.
Sator

Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:10 pm

dopey wrote: By coincidence, I am wearing today a pair of checked trousers. The trousers are tweed with a tiny check pattern of browns and beiges with a small vertical rectangular overplaid (~2x3cm) in rust. My sportcoat is SB peak lapel in cashmere or very soft lambswool in a just-lighter-than-bottle green (solid beige shirt and brown tie with small woven pink squares scattered) woven small. Whatever allusions it might make, I don't think the effect is particularly formal.
I agree that tweedie looking weaves with even a hint of brown, red, pink or POW checks really won't pass muster as formal trousering at all. I have looked through a lot of different patterns and checks and those in modern books really are of a different character altogether - much too casual. Classic formal checks are monochromatic ie black/charcoal/grey which imparts a character at once sombre yet lively - all at one and the same time.
Sator

Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:25 pm

Jackson wrote:Excellent post Sator! I am always astonished by the breadth and level of sartorial knowledge found here in the LL.
Thank you kindly. I am most glad to find gentlemen with whom one can share a passion for such things.
Tampan

Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:19 pm

What fun! Thanks Sator for these cross-legged spreads, it's a great article.

An ex-colleague from Perth office often wore banana and brown tartan pants to the office. His choices were clearly far more informed than anyone (particularly his management) ever imagined.
Sator

Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:52 pm

I seem to have created terrible confusion by wrongly assuming that the modern reader was familiar with the notion of the formal check. Of course, I must take full responsibilty for this error as it is only natural to wonder what I am on about, when we all already have checks and plaids in our wardrobe. Formal checks are strikingly different in character and to better convey this fact I have added a little epilog to my original post. In addition many of the original scans of period illustrations have been rescaned and touched up to improve image clarity.

So apologies once again for the lack of clarity in my text and I hope you enjoy my updated mini-essay.
Sator

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:33 am

You may also be interested in this earlier related thread I started:

http://thelondonlounge.net/gl/forum/vie ... php?t=6474

It is a testimony to the rarity of the checkered beast that Manton thought he might have caught a fleeting glimpse of the creature in one book or other. However, Lessers have told me they carry nothing of the sort. Other books I have access to have similarly dissappointed.
Sator

Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:12 pm

I am constantly learning new things.

I have to eat my words a little bit about 19th century formal checks always been dark and austere in their colour. I have discovered that at times throught the mid-19th century the colour tone of formal checks changed quite a bit. Mid-century one of the more popular colour schemes seems to be a cream coloured pair of trousers with a checkered pattern a dark colour. You can tell it is formal daytime dress because it is worn in combination with dress coat (or a frock coat which was gradually being accepted as daytime full dress and eventualy relegated the dress coat to evening dress).

However, more colourful checks were worn as part of undress.

I have changed my main post to incorporate my improved understanding of 19th century dress history.
Last edited by Sator on Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gruto

Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:44 pm

Great post, Sator.

A couple of days ago I found this daguerreotype from 1845 (The Royal Library, CPH), which depicts Scandinavian artists in Rome.

(It's a little difficult to see on this copy but the person with glasses in the middle wears checked trousers as well)
HappyStroller

Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:07 am

What, I'm still figuring out formal striped trousers and now there are checkered trousers to consider.

Yes, congratulations on another great post by a sartorial grandmaster.

Thank you for increasing our sartorial knowledge, Sator.
Sator

Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:40 am

Here are another couple of pictures which I think you will find interesting especially given the interest in semi-formal attire generated by Manton's excellent post on wedding attire.

The last picture dates from 1914 taken at the races. Notice the way he is wearing an unusual combination of a top hat, lounge/ stroller coat with a bow tie. Admittedly they did use to wear bow ties with morning coats and frock coats. Clemenceau wore a bow tie with his frock coat for the signing of the Treaty of Versaille.
Prof. Pennybags

Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:48 pm

Personally I love striped and checked trousers, in fact, I blame the disolution of my first marriage on them. I had an extensive collection of vintage striped and checked trousers, the louder the better!

Now I find myself getting back into them by making historical reproductions for clients, hence my post looking for worsted morning trouser material on another thread. I had to take a moment and show you this wonderful wool I have that I will be using to make a pair of pegtops with.

Here is a closer view.

• Information