Formality

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

stephen

Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:32 pm

In our times many of the old distinctions have been blurred. What are your thoughts on appropriate dress for various occasions, locales and times of day? For example, are striped suitings or brown shoes appropriate for city evenings? And, what is the city; what the country? Where are the dividing lines?
Last edited by stephen on Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chris Rimby

Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:46 pm

I think more in terms of dark and light versions of colors rather than the colors themselves. Dark brown shoes at night looks good to my eyes. Light brown/tan would not. Black can be used day or night depending on the situation. I wouldn't go to the park in black shoes but I would attend a business meeting in black shoes.

This is how I see it at least.
HappyStroller

Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:56 pm

To me, the most important factor is temperature. For example, a wool worsted isn[t appropriate for a indoor temperature above 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Instead, I would seriously consider wearing only linen or pure cotton clothes.

If the indoor temperature can be below 80 degrees, but the outdoor temperature is above 80 degrees, an air-conditioned car is a must as a means of transport.

If the temperature is below 80 degrees, I do not mind wearing a woolen worsted suit, even when I'm touring outdoors.

The degree of formality is either ruled by the social surroundings, such as an executive meeting, perhaps a 3-piece suit; a formal social occasion, e.g., a Morning Dress when paying Her Majesty E II R a visit at Buckingham Palace, a stroller when attending an American wedding; or, the dress of lady companions (vice versa!), e.g., when the lady wears a long gown, I would want to be dressed appropriately, Tuxedo for Black Tie, or a full dress for White Tie.
yachtie

Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:25 am

I tend to go by season as well as time of day. Summer moves me, like many others I believe, to lighter colors- tan, light grey,"petrol "blue etc. as well as correspondingly lighter colored shoes. Here in the Midwest US, the old prohibition agains brown shoes for business is quite dead.

Fall and Winter bring out the navies and charcoals for business mostly due to the heavier cloths as well as the colors. I personally would not wear a bold tweed for business wear, although it's quite acceptable for city streetwear here.

For social occasions, as well as the seasonal component, the situation and the time of day determine the level of formality for me. I find that this has worked out well.

That being said, I'm fine with bending "the Rules"on occasion if the situation warrants it. I believe that other parts of the world are less flexible than Chicago when it comes to the appropriateness of certain clothing for business or evening
Teacher

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:36 am

And I'll add yet another take. For me, temperature, season, and time of day have nothing to do with it. Rather, I go simply by the formality of the situation. If I've been wearing tan shoes all day and I'm going to a relaxed dinner with a couple of friends, I'll keep them on and feel great about it. If, on the other hand, I were to attend a more serious dinner for, say, the provost of my university, I'd change shoes (and probably outfits) to something equally serious. Season be damned!
  • Information