Slim-fit RTW shirts

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

blakewho

Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:24 pm

Gentlemen,

I would appreciate your advice on the subject of ready-to-wear shirts. Being of youthful and slim physique I prefer a more fitted shirt. I find Charles Tyrwhitt's slim-fit shirts quite good in this regard, the collars do feel a bit cheap however and I would prefer to give my custom to a shirtmaker who does not outsource production to the third world.

I have also tried Lewin - their standard fitting shirts are not too tent-like but the collars are rather tight.

I suspect I will need to move up to someone like Harvie & Hudson, but do not wish to end up in someting I could wrap around my upper body like a toga. Do any of the other Jermyn St firms make slim-fit RTW shirts? And what are their standard fittings like in your experience?
BenedictSpinola

Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:04 pm

Harvie and Hudson shirts aren't any better than the standard fare on Jermyn St., and in fact I think that they're worse than most. Why not go to Italy or Hong Kong? You could get bespoke at the same price as Thomas Pink RTW.
Last edited by BenedictSpinola on Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DonB

Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:13 pm

blakewho wrote:Gentlemen,

I would appreciate your advice on the subject of ready-to-wear shirts. Being of youthful and slim physique I prefer a more fitted shirt. I find Charles Tyrwhitt's slim-fit shirts quite good in this regard, the collars do feel a bit cheap however and I would prefer to give my custom to a shirtmaker who does not outsource production to the third world.

I have also tried Lewin - their standard fitting shirts are not too tent-like but the collars are rather tight.

I suspect I will need to move up to someone like Harvie & Hudson, but do not wish to end up in someting I could wrap around my upper body like a toga. Do any of the other Jermyn St firms make slim-fit RTW shirts? And what are their standard fittings like in your experience?
Hello blakewho,

I have struggled with the same subject, perhaps this topic might be of interest to you.

Kind regards,
DonB
kirsch

Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:15 pm

blakewho,

I know you are talking of RTW, but for the same price you could pay a visit to http://www.mytailor.com, and check out what they have. You have lots of freedom to chose the shirt style (including making it a slim fit, etc.). In fact, you create the shirt yourself, really--starting with choosing the fabric.

These are MTM, but made for you...so, for the same price, it's a step above many RTW. I think their fabrics start around 59 USD for cotton/poly blends, and go up to 175 USD for the best of the best. You can see for yourself at the site.

The shirts are made in Hong Kong.

I have asked several people about "mytailor" and all responses have been positive.

--chris
Alderbaran

Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:24 pm

blakewho,

Thomas Pink do sell slim fit shirts, they are priced at £45 or £85.

I cannot give any comments in regards to the fit or quality of these shirts as I have never purchased a Thomas Pink shirt.

Alderbaran
marks

Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:12 am

Try Emma Willis. They only have one fit, and it is slim fit with high arm holes. Also, if you wear french cuffs, they tend to make a fairly tight cuff which is most welcome. They go on sale at the store on Jermyn St. every once in a while and their shirts will be between £50-100 during that period.

TM Lewin is ok, mine needs darts to fit a little better around the torso. The quality is good as well. My main concern with TM Lewin is the sleeves. Armholes too big. Cuffs too loose. I didn't think the Pink shirts were particularly exciting when I tried them. I'm still a fan of Spencer Hart shirts despite the price.
  • Information