Nice sport watches

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
Cantabrigian

Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:36 pm

We have had some great threads on dress watches (largely thanks to P "LangeMeister" Chong)

What do LLers like in terms of sport / casual watches?
Andre Yew

Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:24 pm

There's always Rolex. :twisted:

I like my IWC Fliegerchronograph (ref. 3706) on bracelet, and the JLC Reverso Duo for more casual, sporty watches. The IWC is very tough --- I don't want to think about how many times I've dropped it, but is a bit thick due to its excessive magnetic shielding. The bracelet is one of the best in terms of comfort, ease-of-adjustment, and engineering. And good deals can generally be found for it.

The Reverso is more elegant, but still sporty due ot its somewhat chunky lines and dimensions.

I also like the Seiko Monster (in orange). It's cheap, tough, and doesn't look half bad for what it is. Mine is on one of those carbon-look straps. It does feel pretty cheap though.

--Andre
Cantabrigian

Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:33 pm

Great choices all around.

I realy didn't like that IWC bracelet until I tried one on. I still don't think I'd ever get one but the bracelet is probably the most comfortable out there.

My go-to weekend watches have been a Big Pilot and Planet Ocean but I'm thinking of adding a Panerai and getting rid of the BP.
pchong

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:21 am

yes, IWC is great. I like the Doppelchronograph with the old bracelet. The Pilot watch is a little large for my tastes.

Other possible options would be:

1. Patek Philippe Nautilus. Now celebrating its 30th year.
2. AP Royal Oak. In particular the Royal Oak Offshore series. Nearly indestructable.
3. JLC Extreme series - their Extreme Chronograph has quite a following
4. Richard Mille - the entire range is pretty much very sporty watches. Even the tourbillons are real tough. Jean Todt wears one constantly...and so does Michelle Yeoh now...Filipe Massa wears one even when racing.
5. Of course Rolex remains a choice - the Sea Dweller is particularly attractive
6. And James' choice..."is that a Rolex?", asks Vesper..."no, Omega", replies Bond. The SeaMaster is a good place to start. And cheaper than Rolex.
7. Even cheaper would be Oris. Several models to choose from.
8. And for the slightly more unusual tastes, consider Ulysse Nardin. Very innovative company even has a tourbillon and a perpetual calendar which is ruggedized for sports. The Freak is a unique, leisure-lifestyle piece which also doubles up a conversation in a cocktail.
alden

Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:28 pm

Peter

I was a relatively early adopter of the Nautilus and have enjoyed mine for over 20 years. I would not call it a sports watch as it is fragile. When I finally decided on a real sports watch I looked at many of the choices you detail above before I decided on the Ultimate sports machine for my wrist..a Casio.

Cheers
iammatt

Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:34 pm

I believe that Peter is not a big fan of my favorite sports watch, but everybody gets to be wrong once.

Out of all of the high end sport watched, by far I prefer the new Vacheron Overseas Chronograph.

Here is a nice write-up of the non-chrono model.

http://www.thepurists.net/Patrons/membe ... rseas.html
bry2000

Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:43 pm

alden wrote:Peter

I was a relatively early adopter of the Nautilus and have enjoyed mine for over 20 years. I would not call it a sports watch as it is fragile. When I finally decided on a real sports watch I looked at many of the choices you detail above before I decided on the Ultimate sports machine for my wrist..a Casio.

Cheers
When are we going to see a sample of the London Lounge limited edition Casio sports watch?
pchong

Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:19 am

Casio Grand Complication...:-) unlikely they will do any limited edition...by the way, a Japanese company of that size and production might will consider a production run of 200,000 pieces a limited edition...while even the larger Swiss houses struggle to make half of that in total production in a year.

If we are looking at a LL Limited Edition, one of the smaller manufacturers will be better...depending on price point, perhaps Peter Speake-Marin or the like would be a possible choice.

Vacheron Overseas, ok...nice stuff...but not dis-similar to the Patek Nautilus...fine piece but a little more fragile and more suitable for gentlemanly sports like sailing or leisurely swims rather than extreme action.
zjpj

Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:08 pm

I have a Girard Richeville that I like a lot. More formal than a true sports watch, but it's too thick to wear with a suit, etc.

Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:31 pm

Just curious: why did you right that the Royal Oak is "indestructable" while others have commented here and elsewhere that sportwatches from the "Big Three" are rather delicate (add Breguet into the mix why don't you)? Which is true?
mikepara

Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:27 pm

I have a great watch I'd highly recommend. Not cheap by high street standards really, but compared to all the Rolex or other famous brands it is virtually free. I wear a Seiko kinetic 200m divers. It works brilliantly, I think it looks good and its tough.

It always seems to come down to money.
Of course if expense is the only gauge of style...then its rubbish.
dopey

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:33 pm

Omega 125.
My wife, whose design sensibilities were formed in the 70s remarked that it looks like the watch James Bond would wear windsurfing. I suppose she could have chosen John Kerry, so I kept my mouth shut.
norcaltransplant

Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:55 am

At different price points...
1) Ball Hydrocarbon - Tritium bars are easy to read in the night. Most comfortable bracelet and secure crown guard for a watch under 1.5k.
2) Seiko Samurai - Automatic beater. Tons of watch for around $250-300 on the gray market.
4) Panerai - They all look the same to me. Many models use a simple, reworked Unitas 6497/6498 manual wind movement. Very popular, and strong following with their near infinite number of strap variations.
5) Omega Bond Seamaster Professional - I'm not much one for the styling, but its a classic like the Rolex Sub.
6) Chopard Pro One - underrated movement due to Chopard's "jewelry" status. The LUC movements might not be as robust as other "sport" movements, but the watch is beautiful.
7) Blancpain Aqualung: See above. Even prettier with a more comfy bracelet.
Sebastian Tombs

Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:52 am

I am a proud owner of an Omega Planet Ocean:

http://dinokhoe.com/wordpress/wp-conten ... abond1.jpg

with stitched band and white dials, and find myself very very happy.
Arrows

Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:35 pm

That's a very nice watch Carlo. I debated it myself but decided upon the Seamaster professional instead. the only drawback for me is that Bond wears the same one, that almost put me off!
  • Information