A Gentleman's Distress

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Phil

Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:35 pm

My trips to my tailor are supposed to be enjoyable. Often, they’re the highlight of what are more often than not trying weeks keeping body, soul, and family together – plus making sure the kids have done their homework.

So, imagine my chagrin when this week I found myself with dueling tailors.

This requires some background. When I first moved to Toronto, I had a tailor make me a couple of jackets, with which I was generally happy, and then commissioned three suits. I paid a hefty deposit and shortly after the tailor became very ill. There was, of course, no business continuity plan in place. His cutter ran for work with another shop and there was no way of obtaining a refund. The shop was locked with the goods inside. After two months, I contacted the man’s son, and after a further four months of negotiation (six months invested) reached a settlement whereby I would be given the cloth (some of which had been cut) in lieu of the deposit money, so that I could have the suits finished elsewhere. The son had no cash to refund me and the father’s books were in total disarray.

The good news is the tailor I found to finish the suits has become a favourite – both for his skills and because he is generally a lovely person. All seemed right with the world. Then, about a year ago, I got a phone call from the old tailor telling me he’s back at work. His son had never communicated the agreement we’d reached and the tailor appeared under the impression that only a month or two has passed since he’d gotten sick, when in reality he’d been away a year. With my brightest smile, and best gentlemanly armor, I went to the man’s shop to explain the agreement. All that worked out well, but then he started trying to sell me on commissioning some new suits. After waiting a year to get a refund, I was reluctant and frankly quite relieved when two months later the shop closed for good and a For Lease sign went up. I thought the old man had at last decided to retire, and based on his physical condition when I saw him, I considered that a blessing.

So, imagine my horror when I went to my current tailor for a jacket fitting and my original tailor walks in the door (with his underage wife) and commences to argue with my now trusted current tailor about how the jacket should be fit. My current tailor did some job work (mostly pant making and pocket work) for tailor number 1, and was coming to check on the status of some work.

As if that wasn’t enough, my old tailor and his wife then start to aggressively try to sell me on coming to their new shop right in front of my current tailor. This pitch, of course, included assurances that they would do everything better and more “high end” than what I was getting. I found the whole exchange to be deplorably ill-mannered and am at a total loss for what to say to my dear friend and trusted provider of well-fit clothes.
Concordia

Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:45 pm

I'd imagine that the new tailor knows the score. If you've moved your business to him, what needs there to be said except to remind him of this?
Costi

Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:46 pm

What a charming character this no. 1 tailor of yours! It must have been your guardian angel that got you rid of him :)
Phil wrote:am at a total loss for what to say to my dear friend and trusted provider of well-fit clothes.
I tend to think that, if your dear friend and trusted current tailor did not throw him out of his store then and there, he certainly understood everyhing there was to understand both about you and your former tailor and any explanation would be superfluous. I doubt he will ever bring it up, so there is no reason why you should - and that seems the right attitude, because any comment would mean giving importance to such a mean matter.
What a nerve!...
Phil

Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:14 pm

Excellent thoughts and good advice as always.
Mark Seitelman

Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:28 pm

You need make no apology to tailor # 2. If I were # 2 I would apologize that you were subjected to this confrontation even though # 2 had no to little control over the situation.

# 2 who is junior to # 1 probably stood by as a matter of respect to the older man.

I feel sorry for # 1, but I wouldn't patronize him again.
edhayes

Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:15 pm

I agree with Mark.
tteplitzmd

Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:22 pm

I mean no disrespect, but taioring is not a "learned profession." I have written elsewhere in this Forum, that I believe bespoke tailoring is ultimately a commercial "transaction" (isn't everything?). That said, I would wager that most members enjoy the process. When things go sour, the enjoyment becomes a distant memory. A common thread in the sorry tale described is that the customer, client, whatever you call us, comes out with less cash on hand. I have owned several magnificently made, magnificently fitted, bespoke suits which bear no resemblance to anything I wanted or would want to be seen in. This was without the added barrier of dueling tailors. At this point, all you can do is move on, and spread the word to whomever asks your opinion. I believe that the great sage of clothing, Sy Syms has it right with regard to the importance of being an "educated consumer." Ultimately you are a customer, no matter how you characterize your relationship with your current or erstwhile tailor.
tteplitzmd

Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:24 pm

I mean no disrespect, but tailoring is not a "learned profession." I have written elsewhere in this Forum, that I believe bespoke tailoring is ultimately a commercial "transaction" (isn't everything?). That said, I would wager that most members enjoy the process. When things go sour, the enjoyment becomes a distant memory. A common thread in the sorry tale described is that the customer, client, whatever you call us, comes out with less cash on hand. I have owned several magnificently made, magnificently fitted, bespoke suits which bear no resemblance to anything I wanted or would want to be seen in. This was without the added barrier of dueling tailors. At this point, all you can do is move on, and spread the word to whomever asks your opinion. I believe that the great sage of clothing, Sy Syms has it right with regard to the importance of being an "educated consumer." Ultimately you are a customer, no matter how you characterize your relationship with your current or erstwhile tailor.
su misura

Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:25 pm

Being from Toronto, I know whats it like dealing with our tailors. You see I own my own tailor shop/menstore in the Yorkville area. If you ever have a problem with your second tailor please let me assist you. I hope everything works out for you.
Costi

Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:15 am

:) I have Abba in my ears: "If you change your mind..."
Hmm... Toronto! - do you always get more than you bargain for?
(no offense, mauro - I am sure your shop and your tailors are wonderful - I just couldn't help noticing that Phil seems to be overwhelmed by more suitors than a beautiful young lady)
the tailor

Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:15 pm

Phil,
You have no need to explain anything to your new tailor, it is nothing he has done.
In the circumstances that have arisen, you compromised with tailor #1, you are now happy with tailor#2 and better for it by the sound.
It is now nothing to do with the first tailor, tell him that.
  • Information