Perfumes

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
E. Tage Larsen

Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:56 pm

"Mr Larsen, did you manage to visit Aedes?" - Prince Barry

Dear Barry,

Thank you, no i have not yet paid a visit to Aedes. I'm still fairly stocked with Irish Tweed but will need to address it in the coming months. I would also like to look into the other blend you mentioned. Most of my time in Manhattan is spent north of the 57th street parallel, which makes anything downtown exotic and monumental.

Most sincerely,

Eric
couch

Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:28 pm

I ran across this interesting "Genealogy of masculine fragrances" poster which groups by dominant note and year of introduction. I don't know how reliable it is. Some but not all of the "classic scents" mentioned in this thread appear:

http://www.leffingwell.com/h&rfragrance ... sculin.pdf

In years past I have enjoyed Vetiver de Puig for summer. I haven't tried Guerlain's Vetiver--can someone suggest how they compare?

Also, does anyone have opinions on an odd scent by Schiaparellli with the silly name of Arrogance? It seems to work well on me for cool weather/evening, especially after the volatile top notes settle down. My SO dotes on it.

I like Penhaligon's Quercus for summer and sometimes wear their Endymion for winter evenings, though it's a bit narcotic. I'll look forward to trying more of the names mentioned here.

Finally I'll confess a nostalgic fondness for Puig's Agua Brava for summer, since it instantly evokes sunbaked beaches from my late-'70s residence in Spain. But I hardly wear it any more, fearing that it became so common as to be Europe's marketing equivalent of Brut. Maybe it's been long enough that it would be fresh. Any other closet fans?
Jones

Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:59 pm

Myself, I prefer to use mine with my attire for the day.

I have been doing the same routine for years, and i do not deviate. Cologne is one of the last thigns that I put on before leaving the house. With a suit, I prefer L'Eau D'Issey, by Issey Miyake. If I am going on a date, I will oftentimes wear Issey, but I like Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male as a subsitute. Others I like are Eau d'Orange by Hèrmes for a rare occasion when I feel like a change-up, and another occassional Charvet Cuvée Royale by Charvet. If I am in the Bhamas, I stick to a cheaper cologne, but still a good fragrance, called "Reggae". It has sweet and subtle undertones, and I like it for a hot sporty summer's day. For it is more lovely, and more temperate.

Up Spirits,

Dr. Jones
Prince Barry

Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:27 pm

Couch, the H&R geneology chart is extremely accurate.

I can't really comment on the similarity between Puig's Vetiver and Guerlain's Vetiver because it's such a long time since I smelled the Puig. I seem to recall that it is a very classic dry vetiver scent whereas the Guerlain one has quite distinct citrus undertones. Unfortunatly, the Guerlain makes me sneeze. The nicest vetiver that I have smelled recently is Vetiver 46 made by the new perfumery in New York called Le Labo.

http://www.lelabofragrances.com

Eric, keep spraying the GIT and then you will have an excuse to buy a new scent. The trouble with me is that I don't wait until a bottle is empty, I am always buying new ones...variety is the spice of life. My latest purchase was a bottle of Bond No.9 New Haarlem. If you like coffee, you will love this one. Now that the weather is warming up, I will most likely be buying a bottle of Philosykos by Diptyque, an amzing fig based scent.
If you ever do manage to get 'Downtown' pay a visit to Le Labo that I have linked above. very unique scents.
Herbert

Sun May 07, 2006 3:26 pm

So now i read about scents i never heard of.
But the most interesting descriptions are:

Eau d'Orange by Hèrmes
Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligon's

Is there any way to get s small sample of those.Before buy them i will give them a try first.
Thank you in advance for your help

Herbert K.
dprof

Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:12 am

Gentlemen, this is my first post here on LL. There are great suggestions here. I will be in NYC in early August, are there any other suggestions for shops that may customize or offer interesting perfumes that would be a must stop?

Also is anyone familiar with Jo Malone? in particular Fig / Casis and Pomegranite Noir?
(These work well together)

some others I also use:
Bond / Riverside Drive, (long lasting and smells great on shirts the next day as well.)
Creed Green Irish Tweed
and today I'm wearing Erolfa

also fond on Blenheim Boquet

Much appreciated for any tips,
dprof
pagean

Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:08 pm

Gentlemen:

I stumbled across this old thread and was surprised to see no mention of Antaeus by Chanel.

Very highly considered on the basenotes website at:

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120105.html

I've been using it for many years. Can't recommend it highly enough. The reviews on the link speak for themselves and do the product far more justice than I could.
Scot

Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:46 pm

Aqua di Parma

Creed - Green Irish Tweed

Floris - JF
BirdofSydney

Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:20 am

I have developed a passionate affinity for Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford (the 'fashion' house). Lazily described as evoking gentlemen's clubs in assorted press releases, I feel it has an almost gourmand quality.

It's far too much for the day-to-day, which is probably for the best, as I find that I quickly lose my taste for anything worn too frequently...
Cufflink79

Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:44 pm

Just picked up a bottle of Truefitt & Hill Trafalgar scent the other day.

Now to pick the right attire now. :wink:

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
Maxomoto

Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:14 pm

Friends of Blenheims Bouquet might give Cartier's Declaration a try. Besides that I enjoy Acqua di Parma, Terre d'Hermes.

I also love my Pitralon AS (from Switzerland).

Regards,

Max
couch

Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:13 pm

I can now report that Ormonde Jayne's new Zizan is the most complex, elegant, and persistent--not insistent--of all the vetiver-based scents I've sampled. Anyone who is drawn to the vetivers should try it. This review is largely on the money although it suggests Zizan to be more assertive than I find it to be. It's very well made and its dry-down is classic, correct, and lingering. The hint of it on recently worn clothes never seems to disappoint, as that of some scents does.

Linda Pilkington seems to have taken everything that's good from the old Puig vetiver, concentrated it, and given it a more subtle and interesting Eau Sauvage-esque opening. A talented artist at the top of her game, who with this fragrance has shown she understands the tastes of serious adult men. Well done.
Will

Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:45 pm

Herbert wrote: Eau d'Orange by Hèrmes
Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligon's
Both are gone in an hour unfortunately. I've given up on them.
Costi

Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:01 pm

I am not sure I understand this recurrent theme of persistance in colognes (perfumes are more concentrated and always persistant). After all, we use cologne mainly for our own pleasure and the main purpose of a splash of good cologne is to refresh and invigorate the senses when applied. It then settles down to more temperate tones, leaving a pleasant scent that makes itself present on and off throughout the day, depending on skin chemistry and temperature. I like a cologne that evolves throughout the day, both in terms of fragrance and intensity. I like it to "get tired" at the end of the day, like I do... but without going sour (like many synthetic fragrances do). Of course, this usually requires a cologne based on natural ingredients, but those don't wear out, they just fade into a subtle skin scent that is only noticed by whomever comes into close contact with us. I consider this a virtue of a good cologne, not a defect.
culverwood

Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:02 pm

I have been wearing Zizan since Christmas and would confirm its elegance and persistence. I am not particularly drawn to velvetier scents but I will no doubt finish the bottle before returning to the nerolis which I prefer. I do agree about its ability to linger pleasingly on clothes though.

LP certainly seems to be the top perfume designer in London these days.
  • Information