My shaving problem

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

BirdofSydney

Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:04 am

I am wondering whether the Loungers might be able to assist me with a problem that is becoming an increasing nuisance while shaving.

Rather than the traditional complaint which seems to be that a gentlemen's beard hair is too tough to easily cut through - I have no real problem there - I am experiencing the converse. That is, my facial hair is quite soft, but so is my face itself.

As a result, the more I facilitate a close and smooth shave - showering beforehand, softening the hair with creams or oils, using a nice sharp blade - the more efficiently I also deliver the flashing blade into my own skin. This has nothing to do with technique, it's just that the tinest bump or imperfection in my skin tends to explode into a spray of blood with an even reasonably sharp blade, no matter how careful I am. And softening my beard invariably only exacerbated the problem.

When I was younger, and my beard grew much more slowly, it was enough to shave late in the evening, to allow nicks to heal somewhat overnight. This is no longer workable, and if I want a clean face I am forced also to put up with uncomfortable and unsighly cuts. The need to shave every day means that I will often reopen them before they've fully healed.

The only way I can minimise the damage is by shaving with quite a dull blade. Notwithstanding the fact that they obviously don't come this way, so there is at least a time before I can achieve this with each blade, it also makes it quite a drawn-out process, difficult to work into the schedule every morning. It is more akin to hacking away at a piece of wood with an axe than applying a precision instrument.

So tell me, does anyone else have this problem? Can anyone suggest a solution? I've tried more and less product, cheaper and more expensive, and still am yet to find a satisfactory outcome.

Thankyou all,

Eden
BenedictSpinola

Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:32 am

Go to Gowings and buy some Taylor's (of Old Bond Street) shaving cream - Gowings were selling the stuff last time I visited Sydney. If this doesn't do the trick by itself, use olive oil - enough to give you a good coverage of the beard area - under the shaving cream. Use a sharp razor, and don't be surprised if the oil makes you go through razors more rapidly. If all else fails, go electric.
ccox

Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:13 pm

Dear Eden,
Given the intense razor burn I sport this morning, I can empathize with your plight.

You might try one of the wet/dry electrics on the market. Although I know that it doesn't satisfy aesthetically.

I, too, prefer to shave everyday. The best I've done is with the Mach III Power razor, shaving oil, a good brush and cream . I prefer the mug (my Father-in-law sports a beautiful mustache and goatee and gave me his silver shaving mug -- I treasure it) and soap route, but the cream really saves my neck (pun intended.) Then it's the alum block, splash of water to clear the residue, moisturizer and after shave balm. And no guarantees.

I once got very good advice from a barber at Trumper's in London. If there is a reputable barber in your area, perhaps you should swing by and let him palpitate your mug and offer his professional prescription?

Good luck and there's Mr. Alden's gardening route... .

CCox[/i]
Cliff

Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:27 pm

ccox wrote: I once got very good advice from a barber at Trumper's in London. If there is a reputable barber in your area, perhaps you should swing by and let him palpitate your mug and offer his professional prescription? CCox

Good advice, see a professional barber and see if there are any tips that can help you with your problems. If not, as mentioned before there is always electric.
King Arthur

Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:11 pm

I myself have a similiar problem with shaving.
My skin is very soft and knicks easily while shaving.
I found that shaving oils and creams containing similiar oils make more problems.
If it sounds like we have something in common try using gels that have no oil.
Something lighter on your skin may prevent any imperfection that you could catch in a blade.
I would steer clear from oils and try another method of softeninig.
A hot shower (but not burning hot) will soften your hair.
(another way is to soak a face towel in hot water and put it on your beard/mustache
area leaving a nose hole open for air. Do not cover your eye area.)
Experiment with dispsable shaving blades for some blades are made sharper than others.
As an aftershave get another face towel and soak it in cool water to shut your pores
and to deal with some of the knicks you may encounter.
A light moisturizer without any harsh ingredients will help keep the skin looking good
and help keep skin prepped for a good shave.
Phil

Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:32 pm

I also have a problem with cutting myself while shaving, although nowhere near as bad as what you describe. Here is what I recommend.

Schick makes a razor called the "protector" that has thin wires wrapping the blades to prevent you from cutting too close. I've used this razor myself in the past and found it definately reduced nicks. It also give a good shave in its own right.

As other have mentioned, go with a wet shave. I'm a Taylors fan myself because I find it moistens best.

Finish off with a product from Anthony called "razor burn repair." I find this closes down any cuts I do get and soothes the face better than anything else I've tried. It's available at Sephora and other good cosmetics shops that tailor to the ladies but have a mens' section as a concession.
JamesT1

Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:19 pm

Try buying an exfoliating creme and using that before you shave. I used to have the same problem. This seems, combined with hot water and shaving creme (Neutrogena), to be the best way to fight this problem. Good luck
James
NAV

Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:00 pm

I had similar problems that I solved using straight razors and not shaving against grain.
BirdofSydney

Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:15 am

I am grateful for the multitude of advice, gentlemen, and encouraged to know that I am not alone.

I've actually come ahead in leaps and bounds since the time I made this post. In brief, my routine:

1. Hot towel (that is, actually soaked in hot water and then wrung out) twice.
2. Lather with a brush and sandalwood-scented cream.
3. Shave down my cheeks, and *upward* on my throat. Yes, against the grain. I use the Mach 3, which nicks me only seldom.
4. Another hot towelling to clean things right up, before splashing with cold water.
5. A little moisturiser if there are any cuts or scrapes.

By and large, this has succeeded for me. What's more, I can do it in 10-12 minutes, not ideal for shaving in the morning, but feasible. Generally, I do it before going to bed, so that any cuts can heal overnight.

Benedict - I found Taylors a little pricey for my purposes. I'm sure it's magnificent, but I've found a local supplier of a similar formula for about a third of the price.

Finally, I should comment that the Mach 3 is not the very closest shave possible. If I had a quicker growing beard, it might be unsatisfactory.

Kind regards,

Eden
aus_md

Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:31 am

BenedictSpinola wrote:Go to Gowings and buy some Taylor's (of Old Bond Street) shaving cream - Gowings were selling the stuff last time I visited Sydney. If this doesn't do the trick by itself, use olive oil - enough to give you a good coverage of the beard area - under the shaving cream. Use a sharp razor, and don't be surprised if the oil makes you go through razors more rapidly. If all else fails, go electric.
Alas, Gowings is no more.

aus_md
BirdofSydney

Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:11 am

aus_md wrote:
BenedictSpinola wrote:Go to Gowings and buy some Taylor's (of Old Bond Street) shaving cream - Gowings were selling the stuff last time I visited Sydney. If this doesn't do the trick by itself, use olive oil - enough to give you a good coverage of the beard area - under the shaving cream. Use a sharp razor, and don't be surprised if the oil makes you go through razors more rapidly. If all else fails, go electric.
Alas, Gowings is no more.

aus_md
I'm quite certain that Henry Buck's sells Taylors...and, for my money, Gowing's lost its je ne sais quoi a long, long time ago...turned into little more than a Target with the odd treat...
BirdofSydney

Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:23 am

Another great leap forward. I've been using Crabtree & Evelyn's shaving cream in a jar rather than shaving soap. Still lathers with a brush but irritates yet less and glides nicer.

I believe C&E have Royal Warrants for some of the fragrances that scent the shaving products (though none appears on the cream itself).

The one I'm using is Sweet Almond Oil and it's sensational!!
Herbert

Fri May 05, 2006 3:07 pm

A little bit late i know :wink:
If you already have shave a spot or something else bloody.
There is a special mineral stone called alaun
I used it very often and it is very helpful.
Here a description from wikipedia:

Shaving alum is a powdered form of alum used as an astringent to prevent bleeding from small shaving cuts. The styptic pencils sold for this purpose contain aluminium sulfate or potassium aluminium sulfate. Similar products are also used on animals to prevent bleeding after nail-clipping.

Crystal deodorant: Alum was used in the past as a natural underarm deodorant in Mexico, Thailand, and the Far East and in the Philippines where it is called Tawas. It is now commercially sold for this purpose in many countries, often in a plastic case that protects the crystal and makes it resemble other non-liquid deodorants.

Alum powder, found amongst spices at most grocery stores, is used in pickling recipes as a preservative, to maintain crispness, and as an ingredient in some play dough recipes. It is also commonly cited as a home remedy or pain relief for canker sores.

Water treatment: Alum (aluminium sulfate) is used in water treatment. The addition of alum to raw water causes small particles and colloids to stick together form heavier particles (floc) which will settle in water. This process is called coagulation. And many more.
I use a crytal alun stone. In Agypt you can buy it everywhere.

Herbert K.
BirdofSydney

Sat May 06, 2006 12:44 am

Danke Herbert,

I am familiar with the alum block, but I never really knew how it worked until now.

As for being too late, it never is, but rather one constant learning curve...

Cheers,

Eden
DieselPope

Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:17 pm

Heya Lads,
I've been lurking around for quite some time now, but only recently decided to pursue admittance. Now, I must admit, in comparison to some of the gents on this forum, there is little I can say that said gents cannot say in much more detail.

On the other hand, I do have something constructive to say in regards to this thread.

Now, I am a clothier, and one of the kitsch items that we employ to set ourselves apart is by keeping a barber shop on premesis (and it is seperated from the clothing, and is also in adherence to all the rules, regulations, and practices set forth by the Minnesota Board of Barber Examiners), with a talented Master Barber on staff.

I, for the benefit of the board, spoke with Moustache Jim (in reference to his large handlebar moustache) for a spell in regards to the original post, even showing it to him so as he can peruse and allow me to add some items that might be helpful.

1) By softening the beard by shaving after the shower is correct, and should be continued.

2) Also, add hot towels to the mix prior to shaving, just as an addition.

3)Use a (preferably hypoallergenic) pre-shave oil, to help moisturize the skin, and soften the beard (which for you, it seems, is unecessary).

4) Use a glycerine based lather, rather then even the bar soaps. This means avoid anything out of an aeresol can.

5) Use a brush whenever possible.

6) Avoid the newfangled razors with too many blades. Yes, we are always trying to achieve a close shave, but there is such things as too close. I have been afflicted with the more common ailment of having a hideously tough beard and sensitive skin. A multiple blade razor is just too close, causing in-grown hairs, and awful razor burn. This also means, in terms of closeness, that a straight razor (i.e. a hot shave at a reputable barber) may not exactly be the best thing for you either.

I have hence switched to the more old fashioned double-sided safty razor (a la Merkur). I would much rather shave more often then have to skip days to allow my neck to heal in my frenzy to get the closest shave possible.

7) Keeping this in mind, always shave with the grain of your beard. Shaving against the grain of your beard will get you a closer shave, but please look at #6 for more of an explenation in regards to closeness vs. quality.

8) Switch to an aftershave balm rather then splash. Alcohol (which is the majority of a splash aftershave) has been known to cause skin irritation.

9) After all is said and done, try using cold towels to close up the pores (Just get the water as cold as possible out of the faucet, soak the towel and wrap it around your neck and face.

I hope that is in some way helpful, if I reiterated anything anyone said previous to my posting, I apologize. It's always a pleasure to be part of this great site.

Duncan
  • Information