Weight fluctuation and fittings

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
Edward Bainbridge

Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:21 pm

During the last year or so, I wasn't able to exercise much (for outward and health reasons) and promptly gained some 15 pounds, mainly on the belly. Now that isn't tragic as such, but I'm realistically planning to resume exercise, and that could very well mean I lose those pounds again after something like half a year or a bit more.

I'm soon going to have a suit made - would I have to give it to Oxfam next spring? My question is mainly whether taking a coat and trousers in is possible without compromising the overall fit and look.
Costi

Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:42 pm

It is possible, but there are limits. 15 pounds usually means at least 7 cms at the waist, which is not so little. Any more than that and taking a coat in can spoil the line, particularly if it is cut close to the body. More ample cuts are more forgiving. Trousers can be taken in even more than that, without spoiling the line, provided they are taken in along the inside of the leg, too.
I have a similar issue, I have lost almost 8 kgs over the past 6 months. Most of my trousers have been taken in a couple of times already, with excellent results, but after a couple of months I am yet again struggling to keep my beltless trousers up :) A couple of coats were successfully altered, too. I am waiting to make sure my weight has stabilized before altering everything.
After all, this is one of the advantages of bespoke - and particularly of working with a proper tailor :)
Edward Bainbridge

Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:47 pm

I was afraid so, but all the more thanks for your reply. I think I'll simply ask at the tailor's - wouldn't be nice to have a different waistline from fitting to fitting, whistle, look to the ceiling and lay the blame on them.
Alistair72

Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:38 pm

If you need (or are planning for) alterations, simple lines are the key. My chap advises against ticket pockets as these can limit alteration possibilities.

The key is talk to you your tailor, he wont want your suit to not fit after a few months either...
Merc

Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:59 am

on a related note,
i generally dont bounce by more than 10 lbs. and even then in kind of a 'long wave' but i try to have some pants an inch bigger in the waist and a hair fuller in the legs than others
with my shirts, the fabrics seem to take care of it--some fabrics shrink more, others less, some re-stretch more, etc. as a result some are alwyas losoer even when cut on the identical pattern
Edward Bainbridge

Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:34 am

Shirts and trouser thighs wouldn't be a problem, but a waisted jacket and the trousers' waistband. I gained weight, or more relevantly, inches, at the belly and I take it that's where it'll go away again, I'm afraid (and hope a bit).
  • Information