'Off-Row' Bespoke Tailors

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

The_Sartorialist

Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:04 pm

I am aware that there have been threads in the past concerning bespoke tailors like Sims & Macdonald (Sims) and Connock & Lockie (C&L), and wondered whether anyone out there had any recent experiences with them or other similar 'off-Row' tailors? My understanding is that the Cypriot community is also fairly active in the tailoring trade as well, and 2 further names spring to mind:

1) George Pourguri of George Bespoke tailors (http://www.georgebespoketailors.com/); and
2) Chris Flourentzou of Tailoring 2000 (Berwick Street).

The reason for my query above is due to my interest in commissioning an 'unlined' summer suit (see http://www.thelondonlounge.net/forum/vi ... f=4&t=9363). Personally, I am quite satisfied with my first bespoke suit from Sims, as they managed to capture every single minute detail I had requested for in my suit, save for a couple of minor glitches (which could be attributable to me being an overly fussy bespoke virgin). However, Sims has also advised that they are unable to produce the 'unlined' suit that I am after, and thus I am looking for alternative tailors to experiment with, and would be grateful for any worthy recommendations.

Perhaps, it might also be worth sharing what I had learnt about Sims whilst visiting their neighbour, C&L, who incidentally does 'unlined' suits, and I was even shown one that was currently a work-in-progress. What surprised me was C&L's response when I had asked what was the difference between them and Sims, and according to them, they drafted their patterns from scratch, whilst Sims drafted their patterns from block patterns.

Given that Sims hold themselves out to be bespoke tailors, my interpretation of what the C&L staff probably meant was that their own method was based on either a 'Rock of Eye' or pattern formula method (see http://www.englishcut.com/archives/000030.html for more details), whilst Sims relied on the pattern manipulation method. The difference is evident in their prices as well, though I'm not sure if this means C&L's products are necessarily superior to Sims'.

I understand I am venturing into highly debatable areas of what counts as 'bespoke' or 'superior' for that matter (and much ink has certainly been spilt), but thought I'd share my above experience in any event, hopefully without detracting from the main purpose of identifying decent 'Off-Row' bespoke tailors who may be capable of producing decent 'unlined' suits at a good value.

Given that there has been quite a great deal of change at C&L, I would most certainly be interested to hear from those who have had work recently commissioned by them as well (be it directly through the board, or through private messages if you'd rather be discreet).
Bishop of Briggs

Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:29 pm

You will find several "off Row" tailors in the LL Certified Artisan programme. The prices, now around £2000 plus, reflect the quality of the product, e.g. the skill of the cutter and the amount of handwork. Not everyone wants to pay such prices and will accept a product with less handwork.
aldo

Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:04 pm

I dont think George Bespoke exists anymore, or not in same location anyway, popped past about 4months ago and shop was boarded up.
  • Information