Wall Street II: Money Never Sleeps

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
Cufflink79

Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:39 pm

I've been doing some hunting online to find any photos of this movie that is currently being filmed to see what the wardrobe will look like. The only photos I've found are of Shia LaBeouf who will play Jacob Moore in a contemporary ensemble that makes Bud Fox's bad wardrobe from the first movie look elegant.

Even though Mr. Gekko was cruel and evil, his clothing by Alan Flusser was the heart and soul of the first movie. I do hope Mr. Flusser will have a hand in Mr. Gekko's reformed club fed released wardrobe for this film as well.

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
JRLT

Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:16 am

I saw a still this morning in a London magazine. Unfortunately (but not unexpectedly) Gekko is wearing a horrible suit with a horrible shirt and tie.

I guess the filmakers decided that he had to move with the times and wear what is currently considered fashionable, i.e. high-end rtw.

I say "not unexpectedly" becuase Gekko is the hero in the new film and therefore couldn't be put in pin stripes, braces and a tie clip because only "evil bankers" wear that sort of thing.
carl browne

Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:35 pm

If Flusser's not dressing Gordon Gekko, I'm not seeing the movie.

I was completely distracted by the breathtakingly fugly suits on Christian Bale in the Batman flick, "The Dark Knight." You'd think Bruce Wayne would be able to keep his suit-collar from riding up.
carl browne

Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:36 pm

BTW

I'm thinking of taking up pin-stripes, braces, and a tie clip. . . .
Cufflink79

Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:39 pm

The movie's website has been updated. Josh Brolin really looks good from some of the photos I've been seeing. He needs a pocket square with his tux and suits but overall, he's well put together. Douglas looks good in the three piece suit with DB vest and watch fob.

But it's no Alan Flusser. :)

http://www.wallstreetmoneyneversleeps.com/

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
gherrmann

Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:52 am

Incidentally, I think Len Logsdail made Shia LaBeouf's suits for this film.
Cufflink79

Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:56 pm

I do know Scabal fabric was used for the film. Saw a brief article in this past summer's "Bespoken" magazine.

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
Jack Albans

Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:58 am

Hmn. ...I have done little things inside movie productions, once upon a time. I think I was (much though I ought not to say so) the best dressed person around the place at the time, all the same, much was being made by the producers (whom I knew very well) of the clothes and the on-staff personal grooming team, and - the cars. Very much the cars took centre stage. I got to drive around in a one of those wedge-shaped Aston Martin Lagonda's with a flat dark glass screen in place of all the knobs and dials known and loved so well... Sigh.

And yes, hand-made tailored clothes - mostly for the producers. Being a relatively young person at that time (and so a touch snobby), I thought it all a bit of a gravy boat instead of serious business, of course. Today, I can go along with anyone's desire to have that level of 'the best.' I'm not really a snob when it boils down. At heart I appreciate more today that there are craftspeople anywhere at all!

A great Australian poet once wrote 'but out of this desert what prophet comes.'

I'm not sure so many people realise what incredible world-leading stuff in popular art and theatre has come from out of Australia where I presently reside - Helmut Newton, Karl Lagerfeld, the movies that put Mel Gibson on the map. And there are names that modern people might not readily recognize but whose faces they certainly will - Sir Robert Helpman, Michael Pate, for example.

"Money Never Sleeps," eh. I wonder.
JCH

Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:34 am

Indeed, Dormeuil is advertising its Tonik 2000 (905 Mohair book) as its cloth of the month special, with thanks to Len Logsdail for his work.
couch

Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:31 pm

Mirojnick: Many have also held onto this adolescent masculinity . . . . It’s especially attractive to men during transition times, going from their late 20s into their 30s, and then again into their early 40s, where they revert to being a teenager. But that look is getting very tired.
Amen.
Cufflink79

Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:25 pm

It's hard to believe it has been a little over a year since putting up this tread, and stating how worried I was about the wardrobe for this movie. What a difference a year makes.

This past Friday I went to see "Wall Street Money Never Sleeps". I made an afternoon of it.

First of all I dressed up for the day, (Navy suit, blue and white striped shirt with contrast white collar and double cuffs, gold snap cuff links, blue tie with yellow and red squares, red pocket square with oriental rug pattern of green, blue, and white in it, braces with pocket watches on them, and my brown suede shoes). Sorry about the clothing details, it's in my nature. :lol: :wink: :roll: :D

I had lunch at Season's, had the special which was the seafood platter of jumbo shrimp, scallops, and cod, with potatoes and vegetables. For dessert, I had the raspberry chile tart.

Then it was off to the movie. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised that there were more conservative suits than I expected. I don't know how many of you have seen the movie yet so I won't give too much away.

There were some very good looks, Mr. Zabel looked very distinguished in his braces, bow ties, cuff links, and dark suits. Mr. James looked very powerful in his double breasted suits with cutaway collars and double cuffs with cuff links. Mr. Moore looked cool but elegant in his single breasted peak lapelled suit, but I'm not a big fan of flat front trousers.

As for Mr. Gekko, he looked tired and weak even in his newly tailored suits when he moved to London. The suits he wore were great, don't get me wrong, I really liked the double breasted vest he had on with peaked lapels.

What I'm getting at is that this movie deals more with his personal life vs. his professional life we saw in the first movie. Overall this was a very good movie.

What really made me think was in a scene early in the movie that takes place at the Federal Reserve Bank in New York. In that scene about 20 or more powerful men are sitting in a stately wood paneled conference room trying to figure out what to do with Mr. Zabel's failing brokerage firm.

Here's what crossed my mind, while they're talking about trying to save the firm and make money they lost, if you put the retail cost of just the suits in that room alone, you're probably looking at a cost of about $100,000.

I've been doing research and have found that Anto of Beverly Hills made the shirts for most of the cast. In the ending credits I also the saw the name Hart Schaffner & Marx along with Hickey Freeman.

I also saw a scene when Gekko is getting tailored with our very own LL member Leonard Logsdail. :D

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
Sir Royston

Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:20 am

Sounds Fantastic.. well done that man!
  • Information