Excellent ebook (free) from Gentleman's Gazette

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

jscherrer

Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:40 pm

The "Gentlemen of Style" ebook by Sven Raphael Schneider of Gentleman's Gazette (www.gentlemansgazette.com) is a nifty little treatise that engagingly documents the so-called "Golden Age" of men's style from the mid-1930's.

Chock full of great text and illustrations from the 1933 and 1934 editions of Apparel Arts, the ebook is a very fine effort and well worth the "price" of subscribing to his email newsletter.

Highly recommended...

Joe
le.gentleman

Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:11 pm

Joe, I am glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for sharing. The feedback so far has been overwhelmingly positive and we hit the first 1000 downloads very quickly.
To get directly to the signup page, click here.
mack11211

Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:58 pm

I, too, downloaded it recently and have been perusing it carefully.

My only complaint is that it has far fewer pages than the virtual image above. I did get my money's worth, but still....MOAR!

I hope the great work will continue.
couch

Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:02 am

For those who may be newer members, and/or intrigued by the ebook presented here (very nice to have--thanks l.e. gent!), I'll note that our distinguished member etutee some years back (between 2005-2008) posted a voluminous and acute series of analyses--with extensive quoted text and illustrations--from his original copies of AA / Esky from the 1930s. These posts were organized in four volumes (Vol I Nos. I-VIII, Vol. II Nos. I-V, Vol. III Nos. I-II, and Vol IV No. I--with perhaps one number missing from this list).

You can access them by using the advanced search feature of the forum. Search on "etutee" in the author field and the characters "vol" in the keyword field and you should pull them all up. At one time one of our members offered a link to PDFs he had made of all these posts, but I believe that is no longer active. In any case, if you don't know these posts, they are a formidable education in themselves, and include dozens of illustrations from the magazines. Enjoy!

And thanks again to etutee, wherever he may be.
hectorm

Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:50 pm

Nice token (I hope I don´t sound patronizing) for GG subscribers. It makes very enjoyable light reading.
Thank you for making it available also here on the LL.
And thanks to couch for bringing up the old posts by Etutee, whose systematic approach to the topic, in my case, would have gone unnoticed if it weren´t for his reminder.

PS: I take serious issue with Mr. Schneider´s statement that "a Beret is certainly not a masculine accent" (in the Winter 1933 page of his eBook). Discounting it as a totally unsubstantiated (not to mention offensive) opinion, unfortunately -despite enjoying the read- it also makes me wonder about his authority on these subjects.
hectorm

Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:52 pm

hectorm wrote: PS: I take serious issue with Mr. Schneider´s statement that "a Beret is certainly not a masculine accent" (in the Winter 1933 page of his eBook).
Although not my favorite source of knowledge, here´s a link to a general overview regarding berets (as a very masculine accent indeed).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beret
DonB

Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:20 pm

couch wrote: (...)

You can access them by using the advanced search feature of the forum. Search on "etutee" in the author field and the characters "vol" in the keyword field and you should pull them all up. At one time one of our members offered a link to PDFs he had made of all these posts, but I believe that is no longer active. In any case, if you don't know these posts, they are a formidable education in themselves, and include dozens of illustrations from the magazines. Enjoy!

I have uploaded the zip-file I made available earlier again.
http://we.tl/Xa6kL4ZPLM

PS. I used a free hosting service, hence it will be deleted on June 4. I anyone feels like hosting it, feel free to do so.

Edit: I uploaded the file again because of a request made in a private message.
Last edited by DonB on Tue May 21, 2013 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
couch

Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:49 am

hectorm wrote:I take serious issue with Mr. Schneider´s statement that "a Beret is certainly not a masculine accent" (in the Winter 1933 page of his eBook)
couch

Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:51 am

DonB wrote:I have uploaded the zip-file I made available earlier again.
Thanks, DonB!
Gido

Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:42 am

DonB wrote:I have uploaded the zip-file I made available earlier again.
Thank you! I had found the original posts, but many images have gone. Now I can see what he's writing about. :)
Simon A

Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:15 am

couch wrote:
hectorm wrote:I take serious issue with Mr. Schneider´s statement that "a Beret is certainly not a masculine accent" (in the Winter 1933 page of his eBook)
Try telling these Gauchos they look girly in a beret....

hectorm

Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:35 pm

DonB wrote: I have uploaded the zip-file I made available earlier again.
Utterly amazing!
Many thanks to DonB for putting together in friendly -and safe- format all these wonderful Etutee´s essays. They are a treasure.
I´m proud of the LL.
Russell

Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:13 am

I'd like to add my thanks to Don for making the articles easily available again and of course to Etutee for the magnificent work done in the first place. Happily I saved the articles the first time around & not only are they immensely informative but they also make very pleasurable reading.

Regards
Russell

PS I forgot to add - my great uncle Jack used to very proudly wear his 'effeminate' beret once a year - on Remembrance Sunday - it was his Commando headgear, he'd been on the St Nazaire raid in 1942
le.gentleman

Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:49 am

mack11211 wrote:I, too, downloaded it recently and have been perusing it carefully.

My only complaint is that it has far fewer pages than the virtual image above. I did get my money's worth, but still....MOAR!

I hope the great work will continue.
Good point, I shall take that into consideration next time.
le.gentleman

Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:52 am

Yes, they are good indeed, if you enjoyed the book, read them.
Fortunately, I do have all issue of AA from the 1930's, so this was just a sample ;). Often, the original commentary of the pictures is short and sometimes very extensive. I tried to use primarily pictures that had not been appeared online before.
couch wrote:For those who may be newer members, and/or intrigued by the ebook presented here (very nice to have--thanks l.e. gent!), I'll note that our distinguished member etutee some years back (between 2005-2008) posted a voluminous and acute series of analyses--with extensive quoted text and illustrations--from his original copies of AA / Esky from the 1930s. These posts were organized in four volumes (Vol I Nos. I-VIII, Vol. II Nos. I-V, Vol. III Nos. I-II, and Vol IV No. I--with perhaps one number missing from this list).

• Information