Turn of century flapped breast pocket

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

alden

Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:38 pm

I just received a photo from Frank Shattuck showing a turn of the century breast pocket he is working on. The cloth is a lovely windowpane flannel from (who else) H Lesser.

And here is the same finished flap pocket on an Alsport coat.

We'll let Frank do the commentary...

Michael
old henry

Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:53 pm

Michael, I see that I missed the plaid a bit on the windowpaine but there it is and there it stays. This flap is a nice touch on a country cloth. Lesser flannels , JJMinnis flannels or Harrissons. Any tweed. Johnstons Thornproof. That type. But you can put it where ever you like. Nice on top coats .. Caretakers vests,, Summer Winter Spring Fall.. I like it for the country. It would go well with the new handmade shoes on the other post. ps.. that is old Alsport FS
Rowly

Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:08 pm

Frank, the pockets are a nice shape and the hand stitching looks great.
old henry

Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:30 pm

Thank you Rowly.. The lapels are 100% hand done as are the shoulders and the sleeves will be. Top stitching on the flaps also serves to curl it round. It must be held properly when stitching ..Frank,
NJS

Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:14 pm

Lovely looking gear. I recall that my father had flaps on some sports' coats in the 1960s but it's not a dated look.
NJS
alden

Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:19 pm

I recall that my father had flaps on some sports' coats in the 1960s but it's not a dated look.
When they are made like Frank is showing and used on country coats they won;t look dated because they are very practical. When you are working or sporting in the country the flap helps hold things in that pocket that might be useful. It is not a decoration in other words. It's functional.

Michael
NJS

Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:47 pm

This is true although I don't remember him using that pocket for much. However, he still wears this coat sometimes; it is made out of an incredibly heavy (and bright) tweed. It is broken in and certainly not worn out and the only thing that really suggests its age (around half a century) are the slim lapels.
NJS
old henry

Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:39 pm

I would like to see a photo, NJS. Sounds great.
SMCK

Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:47 pm

I like both photographs; But I find the pattern matching, even in the presence of a dart directly underneath,together with the subtly rounded corners on the Alsport flap very beautiful; which is not something that I might say about anything very often. I find myself going back again and again to have another look and marvel. I don't think that I am being overly effusive.Well done Frank.
Rowly

Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:16 pm

I find the pattern matching, even in the presence of a dart directly underneath,together with the subtly rounded corners on the Alsport flap very beautiful; which is not something that I might say about anything very often. I find myself going back again and again to have another look and marvel.
There is a quirkiness to the way the angles splay away from each other on the vertical edges, while still following the vertical lines in the pattern. It gives character and personality and almost looks like a wink :wink: ..I suggest it embodies some of the personality of its creator, and is pleasing to look at. Also, without being over effusive...I have sneaked a few extra looks :!: By the way, I'm not suggesting that its creator is pleasing to look at :wink:
old henry

Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:39 pm

Thank you both from the bottom of my heart. A craftsman loves to have his work appreciated by others. It means a lot.
Jordan Marc

Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:35 pm

Frank:

You may think of yourself as a craftsman, but the attention paid to the flapped breast pocket on the Alsport coat is the epitome of artistry. It's a truly stunning piece of work made by a master. Bravo!

JMB
NJS

Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:50 pm

old henry wrote:I would like to see a photo, NJS. Sounds great.
I don't have one to hand and he probably wouldn't want to take one if I asked him! Sorry about that.
NJS
Cooked

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:04 pm

I'm curious - what are the other pockets on that coat like?
old henry

Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:28 am

I will try to post photos. Also. Just to mention, Both breast pockets are cut through the canvas.
  • Information