Two questions.

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
Somerset

Wed May 11, 2011 11:10 pm

Firstly, does anyone know if you can buy replacement buckles (it's a not a buckle really, but I mean the bit that slides up and down the strap) for Thurston braces? The leather has gone underneath the buckle and there is no longer anything to hold the other bit of leather with the button holes in.

Secondly, does anyone have a recommendation or recommendations for good alterations tailors in London?

Many thanks.

Somerset.
Jordan Marc

Thu May 12, 2011 12:48 am

Somerset:

The most sensible suggestion would be to contact Thurston Braces and ask if the hardware on your braces can be replaced. It may entail returning the braces to the maker and a modest cost for the
repair as well as a shipping charge to return the braces to you, but the fix will be done properly.
While you're at it, closely examine the elastic back strap and leather tabs for brace buttons, just
to see if any of them need repair. A final thought. Some men hang their braces on hooks in their
wardrobe, which is not a good idea. The elastic droops eventually. Store them in a compartmented
wooden or bamboo tray or two in a chest of drawers. Like suits, ties and shoes, never wear the same pair of braces more than once a week. They'll last longer.

JMB
tobyjag

Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:06 pm

Somerset,

I recently bought 2 pairs of Thurston boxcloth braces from their online website - perfect, classic (but not red!): I had buttons affixed to my various pairs of casual trousers, and entered the world where everything around my (rather too large) waist stays where it is supposed to be in perfect harmony. Until last week, when I caught one side under the arm of a chair and tore the buttonhole .......disaster! I e-mailed Thurston the next day and virtually by return of post I received the whole leather end (including the brass buckle) free of charge. Ten seconds to replace and harmony restored.

Hats off to Thurston - quality product, and quality service not often found in this modern world.
Many thanks!!
Costi

Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:06 pm

tobyjag wrote:I had buttons affixed to my various pairs of casual trousers, and entered the world where everything around my (rather too large) waist stays where it is supposed to be in perfect harmony.
:D Indeed!
  • Information