Bicycles

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
cathach

Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:43 pm

Gido wrote:

Obviously, these bikes are made for our pancake-shaped country. I wouldn't want to drive a classic Gazelle up in the mountains. If you don't live in a flat country, a custom made frame might be a great option, together with a wide range of gears. But if you do, then here's something that has been engineered to perfection many, many decades ago. There's simply no need for improvement, although I sometimes do wish they still would make them the exact way they used to.

Best,
Gido.
Gido,

I'm Irish and I have a 3-speed Toer Populair! What attracted me to it is that its based on the old Raleigh Roadster design. More importantly this model still has rod-lever brakes, so instead of a brake cable that needs to be replaced every 6-8 months in a maritime climate the rods effectively last forever. Its that kind of touch which made me go for it.

I've cycled in the Netherlands and here a fair bit and I've have to say I don't see why you couldn't use a three-speed on hilly parts. I do so without too much difficulty. Because the hub gears are directly in-line unlike a derailleur there is a bit more power transfer I think. Of course a lot of couriers and other cyclists used a single fixed gear bike for this reason too.

I don't like the plastic handlebar grips so I think I'll change them for something like this http://www.nonusual.com/gropes/ I'm not a fan of Brooks leather accessories because although the saddles are still made in England the rest of their range is not (China).
Gido

Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:59 pm

Bicycles need regular maintenance, and this is in particular true for the Gazelle brake- and gear-systems. They can get troublesome, if not looked after properly. The grips are one of the things that aren't the way they used to be. My current bike came with a pair of ergonomic grips that I didn't like.
Gido

Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:11 am

Amsterdam is getting too small for all it's bicycles,
robert_n

Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:34 am

@ Gido:
How refreshing, not a helmet in sight.
Gido

Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:50 pm

robert_n wrote:@ Gido:
How refreshing, not a helmet in sight.
That's true. I see helmets maybe once a year, invariably worn by tourists who fail to adapt. We have a better solution: dedicated bicycle roads, completely separated from other traffic, with dedicated traffic lights. Only some small roads in the old centre don't have this, there's simply no space. Bicycles paths are separated there with some paint on the road. But since we have probably more bicycles around than cars, motorised drivers are constantly aware of cyclists. Serious accidents with bicycles rarely happen.
Pssst

Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:09 pm

Gido wrote:(...)
But since we have probably more bicycles around than cars, motorised drivers are constantly aware of cyclists. Serious accidents with bicycles rarely happen.
What also adds to the awareness is the fact that every motorist is highly likely to own a bicycle and ride it regularly.
cathach

Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:53 pm

Gido wrote:Bicycles need regular maintenance, and this is in particular true for the Gazelle brake- and gear-systems. They can get troublesome, if not looked after properly.
Well what I'd say from my own experience in an Atlantic climate is that brake cables need to be replaced around every 6-8 months, at E10 each time, as they rust inside the tubing. The huge advantage of the lever system is that bar breaking the links they last for years and years, although cleaning and oiling will certainly extend the lifespan.

For the hub gears as they're enclosed they're a lot less messy than a derailleur.

As yourself I'm not a fan of the plastic grips and I'm having trouble taking them off to put in a new set.
Gido

Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:26 pm

I only now found out that, since my last Gazelle, the company took a nose dive (with electronic bikes) had to take serious austerity measures, lost two ceo's, and was finally taken over. I am unsure what all of this did to the quality of their classic city bikes, but I thought I should mention it here.
alden

Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:37 pm

I just got a Trek DS 8.4...super bike

Cheers
Richard3

Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:33 pm

2 bikes:

MTB: Ghost AMR plus
race: Cannondale
vancehn

Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:11 pm

Gido wrote:Bicycles need regular maintenance, and this is in particular true for the Gazelle brake- and gear-systems. They can get troublesome, if not looked after properly. The grips are one of the things that aren't the way they used to be. My current bike came with a pair of ergonomic grips that I didn't like.
If the bike, like mine, has chromium rods instead of cables, is maintenance a breeze. :D
Gido

Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:22 pm

vancehn wrote:
Gido wrote:Bicycles need regular maintenance, and this is in particular true for the Gazelle brake- and gear-systems. They can get troublesome, if not looked after properly.
If the bike, like mine, has chromium rods instead of cables, is maintenance a breeze. :D
If you have a Gazelle, then that's exactly what I was talking about. Take good care of it, and these brakes will serve you well for a long time (I am speaking from decades of experience.)
lxlloyd

Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:15 pm

I use to have this bike in pistachio until it was unfortunately stolen.
http://www.bicyclestore.fr/fr/velos-de- ... rcord.html#

made by anita, beautifully made. http://www.alpinabike.com/anita/index.html

When it was stolen I traded it for the cherry red women's version. i.e. http://www.alpinabike.com/anita/amarcord_donna_1v.html but of http://www.alpinabike.com/anita/amarcor ... nexus.html (so I have gears)

If I'm honest I prefer the men's model. Though it is easier to wear a skirt on the latter. And more designed for handbag placement.

In terms of commuting problems atlantic sailor brought up ; that really depends on the length of your commute.
-In Paris I think it was impossible for me to go longer than half an hour and still be anywhere I had a particular desire to go. London is a different matter entirely. An hours commute would certainly work up more of a sweat on most and more wear on trousers. fortunately I am young and fit and not male so that was less of an issue.
-As for the neccessity of arriving early? Cycling knocks twenty minutes off my commute in both London and Paris, (and I am not cycling like a lunatic trying to get everyone killed, so this is at a leisurely pace and obeying traffic lights) and so the extra time is there anyway, at least for me, to clean myself up and look presentable.
-My bike sits in the corridor at work but those that work in the ateliers seem to be more bike friendly than most. We actually have a shower at work in London, but i've never needed to use it and I shall be back in the continent in a fortnight.
- I've taken on paris and london. I might be slightly hesitant in Italy, but at least most major US cities are built on grid systems and it's theoretically easier to see what's coming. I stick to routes I know have cycle lanes (which are most, especially if you can go through a park), Give way to cabbies and buses where I can safely, since they have paying customers, (often, they actually return the favour) and don't jump lights (so many people do.... Ridiculous. Bikes need licence plates, it would reduce idiocy tenfold if people were worried about being identifiable). The closest shave I've had is a car that was parking backing into my bike which was parked at a cycle rack.
Atlantic Sailor

Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:27 am

lxlloyd wrote: In terms of commuting problems atlantic sailor brought up ;

Thank you for your feedback. I have been watching this thread for the past few years and would still like to embrace bicycle commuting.
robert_n

Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:45 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-FnGJsMars

Anyone have any experience with Pedersen bicycles?
  • Information