Your Top 5 Colognes

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
bluscuro

Sat May 05, 2007 12:20 pm

Creed's Vetiver

Penhaligan's English Fern

Annick Goutal's le Nuit d'Hadrien

Penhaligans Blenheim Bouquet - a classic from 1911 still produced unaltered

Guerlain Habit Rouge

Christian Dior Eau Sauvage

And , for those that wish to surprise the lady in their life , purchase a flacon of Profumo cologne by Acqua de Parma next time you're in Via de gesu.
Marabunta

Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:22 am

Recently I took a trek to L'Artisan Parfums, Chicago. Although I'm not a niche fragrance lover, I encourage you to try Voleur de Roses. It is not feminine. Smells of earth, twigs, leaves, and destroyed roses. Mysterious, old world, elegant. Well made fragrance. Another one that deserves a sniff or two: 'Fou D'Absinthe.' Crazy for Absinthe. Dark, entangled, beguiling and persistent.
Trey

Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:39 am

uppercase -

Presumably, three year's later, you need not my input. Nevertheless, I just found your query and will weigh in.

I wear Creed's Green Irish Tweed and occassionally Acqua di Parma. I consider both to be warm weather fragrances. I once wore Armani's Acqua di Gio in warm weather. Being forty, I now find it less appealing. I add Trumper's Extract of Limes for summer wear.

When I venture from GIT or Acqua di Parmer in colder weather, I fall back on classics such as Halston Z-14, which, surprisingly to me, still seems to turn heads. Perhaps this once overused cologne is now so rarely used that it intrigues. Perhaps in another ten years Ralph Lauren's original Polo's smell will acquire that status for colder weather. It remains, in my opinion, overused. My wife likes Ralph Lauren's black, which I wear, to her pleasure and not necessarily mine, in colder climes. Perhaps my favorite cold weather scent remains Grey Flannel.

A favorite "anytime" scent - in addition to GIT and Acqua di Parma - Dior's Eau Savage.

I find that it is best to do, to slightly stray from a recent Alden post and, "smelled, but not smelled," regardless of the cologne.

Thanks for considering my opinions.

Trey
uppercase

Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:00 pm

Perfumes are one of life’s great sensual pleasures and central to invoking a feeling of well being and fulfillment. For me, their use has become a daily ritual and a balm.

I’ve tried quite a few scents since this post began though I haven’t been able to get hold of some of the older, niche scents; so there are lots more out there I look forward to discovering.

I’ve abandoned most of the scents I’ve tried so far.

For example, the Creed and Serge Lutens lines I just can’t abide any longer. Most of the old traditional English scents hold no interest any longer. The fashion house perfumes were never contenders.

These are the perfumes I am now using this Winter; they’re mostly heavy orientals. These are the perfumes I now enjoy most and I find myself returning to them.

If you have any recommendations for great Summer colognes you enjoy, let me know.

1. Une Rose, Edouard Flechier
2. Equipage, Hermes
3. Terre d’Hermes
4. Heritage de Guerlain
5. Black Aoud, Montale
6. Arpege Pour Homme, Lanvin
7. Ambre Precieux, Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
andrei67

Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:36 am

Yesterday at the Guerlain corner of Moscow TsUM (local equivalent of Barneys :wink: ) I was told by the shop assistant that Guerlain are planning to discontinue Heritage.
Is anybody here in the know whether that's true?
culverwood

Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:34 am

Ormonde Jayne - Isfarkand and Champaca ( the second in very small doses)
Czech and Speake - Neroli
Pryor

Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:31 am

Green Irish Tweed (Creed) for day or evening wear
Vetiver (Guerlain) for day wear
L'Eau du Navigateur (L'Artisan Parfumeur) for evening wear

I wish that Bois du Portugal (Creed) worked on me, as I love its approach, but find that it turns to something akin to baby powder after I've worn it for two hours or so. A shame. Does anyone know of a similar scent they would recommend I try?

Cheers,

Pryor
alexeberlin

Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:19 pm

I am partial to Blenheim Bouquet, Imperiale, Aqua Di Parma and ,on more casual occasions, Musk by Jovan.
For special occasions I use Penhaligon's Lords.
However the fragrance for which I have received the most compliments from women is Curzon by Trumper's.
Back in the 90's I loved Guerlain's Derby but although it has been relaunched it is only available at the Guerlain flagship store and I have had no oppurtunity to purchase any.
  • Information