Number of Fittings

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Cravate Noire

Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:43 pm

Costi wrote:
mmkn2 wrote:If the stylist/fitter, tailor, and client is [relatively] constant, then the number of fittings is really a function of the cloth.

- M
Yes, that is also true, I believe. Some cloths are a dream to work and wear, while others are a nightmare (5+ fittings & going strong...)

A friend who is a nightmare to fit (and he used loads of tailors from names like Caraceni to lots of mbts and most started with "no problem" and then started to sculpture and chisel), ( he's extremely tall, extremely sloping shoulders (with each being quite different), extremely rounded back, strange proportions for chest/shoulders/hips with hips being about as wide as his shoulders etc.) will need one fitting for the very first unlined coat in a modern, pretty lightweight and fluffy cashmere/silk fabric from Ariston.
Cloth shouldn't be a factor when it comes to basics of fit IMHO.
The drafting technique used is about the same what Despos described, at least as far as I understand and can compare it.
old henry

Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:57 pm

No old tailor I ever learned with was concerned with the number of fittings... tag-em and bag-em.
Last edited by old henry on Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Costi

Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:05 pm

I take the use of the future tense as an indication of optimism ;)
In my limited experience (because I gave up buying cloth on aesthetic grounds only), cloth reacts differently not to cutting (if the shears are well-sharpened and oiled, they'll cut through anything), but to actual tailoring: hot iron, steam, shrinking, stretching, sewing etc. Some cloths respond well to these traditional techniques, others respond better to factory glueing and are an ordeal for a tailor. Moreover, different cloths hang differently, requiring slight adjustments from one piece to another, even if the pattern is "perfect" and long refined. A particular cloth, cut on the same old pattern, will make a stubborn wrinkle below the collar that no other suit (cut and sewn by the same hands, on the same pattern) makes. It's the weave, the way the cloth "sews". Sculpting granite is different from working with marble, even if the tools are the same.
old henry

Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:22 pm

Costi, Any wrinkle below the neck is the pattern.Not the cloth. Most likely the back needs to be squared a bit. It is probably touching on the shoulder a bit too. If the pattern is true it will work with any cloth. However, different cloths will need to be worked differently in the hand. Lighter cloths keep the tailor honest. Heavier cloths will hide minor foibles such as your wrinkle. Also..Luxury MTM cloths are not any harder to work with for a tailor than a light weight English 2x2 cloth if the tailor knows how to use the fuesable but in my case I know that they will wear and pill within the year so I see no reason to put all of my hand work into them. Hand work to last 20yrs with a cloth to last one or two ? ps.. I enjoy reading your poetic, pragmatic posts. FS
castiglione

Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:58 pm

From life long experience. If you are new to the house first day measures and choice of fabric. If you are a veteran skip step one unless you gained weight. (It happens) Second day first fitting. Third day second fitting and perhaps a last touch. I agree with the rest of the members. If something is really wrong better begin all over again. Try not to to be either too long or too short in the intervals between the fittings. To delay or to shorten them is nefarious to the process. There is a precise timing, the one requested by your taylor´s craft. IMHO traveling taylors are not an option. Safe journey, good cut!
DFR

Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:41 pm

Given that we have now seen the results of the creation of Demspey's suit, I think we can assume that two fittings was optimistic. Indeed one has to wonder about this House (Huntsman since being identified) and whether it has a selective view upon the new clients it will adopt. From the two other threads created, Dempsey certainly seems to have had a bad experience from beginning to allegedly finished product.
Last edited by DFR on Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dempsy444

Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:55 pm

DFR wrote:Given that we have now seen the results of the creation Demspey's suit, I think we can assume that two fittings was optimistic. Indeed one has to wonder about this House (Huntsman since being identified) and whether it has a selective view upon the new clients it will adopt. From the two other threads created, Dempsey certainly seems to have had a bad experience from beginning to allegedly finished product.
Yes, I've ultimately answered my own question unfortunately;)
Giuseppe Mancuso

Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:30 am

Un buon vestito su misura , ha bisogno di tre prove , dopo il terzo vestito ,si puo' eliminare la seconda prova ,ma mai la prima .
E' molto importante l'osservazione del cliente senza la giacca addoso : Erect , Stoop , Low shoulder, Shoulder forward ,or peach back , One blades bigger, One hip bigger , e molti altri dettagli ai fini di fare il modello per il cliente.

La prima prova sara' solo imbastita, con rimessi alle spalle , fianchi , in modo da poter apportare qualuncque modifica, Durante tale prova si determinera' quali sono i gusti del cliente esempio: larghezza petti. posizione primo bottone, apertura front, linea della giacca e lunghezze giacca e maniche , Roop shoulders or not , queste ed altri accorgimenti qualuncque sarto fa. La seconda prova avra' tutto cio che il cliente aveva richiesto il sarto prentera' nota della larghezze e se il cliente e' contento ho la vuole piu' stretta o larga .
La terza prova la giacca ha il sottocollo e maniche impastite e' spesso non ha bisogno di aggiustamenti .
Oggi per dare servizio al cliente che ha poco tempo si fa il modello ,si apporta le modifiche fatte durante le prove. a giacca finita si rifa il modello aggiugendo le misure dirette che sono quelli della giacca finita in lunghezze, half waist .Nel futuro si puo' fare la giacca con una prova. Il primo vestito al cliente che non ha tempo dico: Vada a trovarsi il sarto.
DFR

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:10 am

Giuseppe Mancuso wrote:Un buon vestito su misura , ha bisogno di tre prove , dopo il terzo vestito ,si puo' eliminare la seconda prova ,ma mai la prima .
E' molto importante l'osservazione del cliente senza la giacca addoso : Erect , Stoop , Low shoulder, Shoulder forward ,or peach back , One blades bigger, One hip bigger , e molti altri dettagli ai fini di fare il modello per il cliente.

La prima prova sara' solo imbastita, con rimessi alle spalle , fianchi , in modo da poter apportare qualuncque modifica, Durante tale prova si determinera' quali sono i gusti del cliente esempio: larghezza petti. posizione primo bottone, apertura front, linea della giacca e lunghezze giacca e maniche , Roop shoulders or not , queste ed altri accorgimenti qualuncque sarto fa. La seconda prova avra' tutto cio che il cliente aveva richiesto il sarto prentera' nota della larghezze e se il cliente e' contento ho la vuole piu' stretta o larga .
La terza prova la giacca ha il sottocollo e maniche impastite e' spesso non ha bisogno di aggiustamenti .
Oggi per dare servizio al cliente che ha poco tempo si fa il modello ,si apporta le modifiche fatte durante le prove. a giacca finita si rifa il modello aggiugendo le misure dirette che sono quelli della giacca finita in lunghezze, half waist .Nel futuro si puo' fare la giacca con una prova. Il primo vestito al cliente che non ha tempo dico: Vada a trovarsi il sarto.

Doubtless this is interesting but it would be so much more so in a language that we all speak - English.
Giuseppe Mancuso

Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:59 pm

My picture0022.JPG
If I wrote in Italiano is not I not want wrote English.
Emigrato in Canada 1968. Fino al 1988 a Hamilton Ont. ( Big Italian comunity)
Grante sbaglio che ho fatto non andare a scuola di Inglese , ho aperto sartoria nel 1969, e feci subito molti clienti, non solo da Hamilton. Nel !969 la mia giacca era quella che e' in stile oggi.
Ma il mio lavoro non mi dava tempo per imparare un'altra lingua, e non solo vivendo nella comunita' Italiana proveniente da tutte le regioni D'Italia , non solo non imparai L'Inglese , ma altro disimparai L'Italiano che avevo imprato a Milano, parlando in Siciliano e altri dialetti Italiani. Fra i miei clienti c"erano pure Inglish speaking , ma cio non impediva a fatto il mio lavoro, il mio lavoro parlava per se.
Oggi tutte le volte che conosco un giovane emigrante le raccomando di antare la sera a scuola e imparare L'Inglese , e aggiungo raccontanto loro episodi negativi nella mia vita per non aver imparato L'inglese.

Mille grazie al Sig. Costi per gentilmente tradurre cio che io scrivo ,cosa non facile , non essendo il mio un perfetto Italiano.
Chiedo scusa ai lettori
Cordiali saluti a tutti voi
Pino un Sarto
Giuseppe Mancuso

Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:39 pm

Egregio sig. Costi mi piacerebbe tanto raccontare che significa essere un sarto , e cosa fare per poter chiamarsi sarto.
Una delle importante cose da notare e' che non fa un buon sarto ne il taglio ( anche se senza dubbio e' molto importante ) '
Ne cio che e' in stile .

Una gicca che segue cio che e' in style al 100x100. puo' essere una giacca di $ 300.00 or una di $ 10.000.00.
Chi fa la differenza e' sopratutto il modo di come costruita , seguita da stoffa e supply.

(1) Il sarto sa che quando dico e' vero : 5 giachhe tagliate con lo stesso modello , date a cucire a 5 differenti sarti ,a giacca finita sono 5 differenti giacche.

Una persona intelligente in sei mesi puo' imparare a tagliare qualuncque capo di abigliamento maschile in qualuncque style.
La stessa persona imparare a cucire una buona giacca ha bisogno 5 anni di apprentistato 40 ore per settimana per i 5 anni. dopo seguira' un corso di 6 mesi di taglio , e dopo avra' tutta la vita per imparare dai suoi sbagli confrontandosi con differenti conformazioni apportando al sistema di taglio i suoi proprii gusti e esperienza questo e' il sarto . Io sono orgoglioso di farne parte
Cufflink79

Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:53 pm

Dear Giuseppe Mancuso:

Thank you for sharing the nice photo of your son at your tailor shop.

I wish you many more years of success.

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
Costi

Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:07 pm

Giuseppe Mancuso wrote:Un buon vestito su misura , ha bisogno di tre prove , dopo il terzo vestito ,si puo' eliminare la seconda prova ,ma mai la prima .

A good bespoke suit takes three fittings. After the third garment, the second fitting may be skipped, but never the first.
Observing the client without a jacket on is of utter importance: erect or stooping posture, low shoulder, forward shoulder, (peach back?), one shoulder blade or hip larger than the other and many other details are needed to draw the pattern for the customer.

The first fitting is just basted, with allowances at the shoulders, sides etc. so any alteration can be made. During the first fitting the preferences of the customer will be taken into account, such as the width of the lapels, position of first button, the opening of the quarters, line of the jacket, length of coat and sleeves, roped shoulders or not etc.
These are observations any tailor makes. The second fitting will include all that the client required. The tailor will take note of the fullness and whether the customer is happy or wants the coat fuller or closer to the body.
At the third fitting the coat has the undercollar and sleeves basted and often requires no further adjustments.
In order to catter to customers who have little time for fittings these days, the pattern is adjusted after the fittings. When the coat is ready, a new pattern is drawn, according to the measures of the finished jacket. After that, further jackets can be made with a single fitting. For the first garment of a customer who has no time I say: go find yourself another tailor.
Costi

Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:18 am

Giuseppe Mancuso wrote:If I wrote in Italiano is not I not want wrote English.
Emigrato in Canada 1968. Fino al 1988 a Hamilton Ont. ( Big Italian comunity)
Grante sbaglio che ho fatto non andare a scuola di Inglese , ho aperto sartoria nel 1969, e feci subito molti clienti, non solo da Hamilton. Nel !969 la mia giacca era quella che e' in stile oggi.
Ma il mio lavoro non mi dava tempo per imparare un'altra lingua, e non solo vivendo nella comunita' Italiana proveniente da tutte le regioni D'Italia , non solo non imparai L'Inglese , ma altro disimparai L'Italiano che avevo imprato a Milano, parlando in Siciliano e altri dialetti Italiani. Fra i miei clienti c"erano pure Inglish speaking , ma cio non impediva a fatto il mio lavoro, il mio lavoro parlava per se.
Oggi tutte le volte che conosco un giovane emigrante le raccomando di antare la sera a scuola e imparare L'Inglese , e aggiungo raccontanto loro episodi negativi nella mia vita per non aver imparato L'inglese.

Mille grazie al Sig. Costi per gentilmente tradurre cio che io scrivo ,cosa non facile , non essendo il mio un perfetto Italiano.
Chiedo scusa ai lettori
Cordiali saluti a tutti voi
Pino un Sarto
If I wrote in Italian it was not because I didn't want to write in English.
I emigrated to Canada in 1968. Until 1988 I lived in Hamilton, Ont. (big Italian community). My big mistake was not going to English language school. I opened up a tailoring shop in 1969 and quickly got a lot of customers, not only from Hamilton. My jacket in 1969 was the one that is in style today.
My work however left me no time to learn another language. Besides, living in the Italian community with people coming from all over Italy, not only did I not learn English, but I spoiled the Italian I had learned in Milano by speaking Sicilian and other dialects. I had English speakers among my customers, but this was not an obstacle to my work, as my work spoke for itself.
Today, every time I meet young immigrants I tell them to take evening classes and learn English and I tell them stories of unpleasant episodes in my life that were due to the fact that I had not learned English.
I apologize to the readers for writing in Italian.
My best regards to you all.
Pino, a tailor.
  • Information