Sartorial "quirks"

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

DFR

Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:39 pm

Is this about quirks or a hijeck?
toad wrote:Gentlemen: perhaps you can save me from myself, as I am about to commission a new tweed odd jacket.

Is there an accepted rule of thumb concerning slash pockets? Are they a slim man's game only, or will they help disguise a heavier man's girth?

I ask as a heavier man.

Also, are half belted backs a bit too much? I don't want to end up with a hybrid shooting/hacking jacket, when what I really desire is a classic jacket with a bit of flair.

Thank you all,
Toad
Costi

Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:58 pm

I beg your pardon?
storeynicholas

Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:01 pm

Costi wrote:I beg your pardon?
Costi - I had wondered whether it was just me and so left it until now to say "Eh?"
NJS
DFR

Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:34 pm

Costi wrote:I beg your pardon?
I'll explain:

The title of this thread is "Sartorial Quirks" and FiS' first line reads:

NJS's thread on sleeve cuffs makes me wonder about other things we might elect to get on our bespoke suits, namely ticket pockets, slanted pockets, rear vents, waistcoat lapels, trouser pockets, turn-ups. I cannot think of anything else at the moment.

Anything you always get?

Anything you would never get?

A partial answer, to get the ball rolling: "

Therefore to go off on a tangent and ask if a particular garment should be styled this way or that is off topic - IE te thread has been hijacked for some other purpose/iscussion than that for which it was created.

etc
toad

Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:29 am

As the offender I apologize to all. My purpose was to understand the proper place for our "quirks". Perhaps it was placed in the wrong arena.

Again my apologies to all who were offended.
Costi

Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:51 am

Dear Toad,

No need to apologize, I think DFR will find himself pretty much alone in being offended.

Dear DFR,

I may understand your concern for discipline in the Lounge as many threads seem to derail in undesirable directions (I derailed a couple myself), but please allow me to note that many of these branchings are both natural and extremely interesting. Various aspects of elegance are interconnected and the Lounge only has separate sections for "didactical" reasons, if you wish. Crossreferences are unavoidable and desirable in my view. This way, if you use the "search" function for "action back" for instance, you will find it in various contexts throughout different "sections" of the Lounge, thus offering a more complex view (how it is made, where it is worn, who was seen spotting it etc.) than a disciplined, encyclopedic approach.
As for Toad's enquiry, I think it was perfectly in line with the topic and represented a particular case of a general discussion. Even if this had not been the case, a relatively new member who has not yet posted much needn't be guillotined for asking a sound question in the wrong place (which, again, he didn't).
I sincerely hope you will agree with me and, as I understand you were planning to share your thoughts on sartorial quirks but feared your post might not connect to the immediately previous ones, please use my post as a re-opening of the general quirks discussion: what are yours?
DFR

Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:27 am

Costi

I do disagree with you - few people are so inexperienced on web boards these days as to not know when to start a new thread. Hi jacking destroys the integrity and so few get back to the original topic. My words hardly "guillotined" him - that would have been abundantly clear I had I done so.

If you check you will note that I did respond to the original some days ago - last post , first page.

Costi wrote:Dear Toad,

No need to apologize, I think DFR will find himself pretty much alone in being offended.

Dear DFR,

I may understand your concern for discipline in the Lounge as many threads seem to derail in undesirable directions (I derailed a couple myself), but please allow me to note that many of these branchings are both natural and extremely interesting. Various aspects of elegance are interconnected and the Lounge only has separate sections for "didactical" reasons, if you wish. Crossreferences are unavoidable and desirable in my view. This way, if you use the "search" function for "action back" for instance, you will find it in various contexts throughout different "sections" of the Lounge, thus offering a more complex view (how it is made, where it is worn, who was seen spotting it etc.) than a disciplined, encyclopedic approach.
As for Toad's enquiry, I think it was perfectly in line with the topic and represented a particular case of a general discussion. Even if this had not been the case, a relatively new member who has not yet posted much needn't be guillotined for asking a sound question in the wrong place (which, again, he didn't).
I sincerely hope you will agree with me and, as I understand you were planning to share your thoughts on sartorial quirks but feared your post might not connect to the immediately previous ones, please use my post as a re-opening of the general quirks discussion: what are yours?
culverwood

Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:29 am

Getting back to the original question. My only quirk is a business card pocket at chest level rather than lower as is the norm. I do have slanted pockets on all my jackets but that is a preference rather than a quirk.

I never have ticket pockets.
Sator

Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:46 am

The only pocket I like an extra bit of slant on is the chest pocket. I'm a bit of a purist about hacking pockets belong on hacking jackets, I'm afraid.
Costi

Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:05 pm

DFR wrote:If you check you will note that I did respond to the original some days ago - last post , first page.
Indeed you did, DFR, I shouldn't have missed it - I apologize.
Don't worry too much about integrity, this is not a place of military rigour. I would incline towards being less abrupt and more indulging with new members, even when pointing out rules or customs of the forum we feel they may have broken. Some of us agreed not long ago, in another thread (no wonder I don't remember which one) that these digressions were all natural given the nature of our debates and often added interest to them. I hope you will discover their charm, too :)
As you can see, the topic is back "on track".
  • Information