Suit Lining Color

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!

Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:35 pm

This forum is a font of wisdom, balance and taste. Thank you, Sartorious, for your thoughts on having fun with dark linings. Dark linings also make sense, as a suit will last much longer if it isn't cleaned too often, right?

I forgot to sign earlier...

Tourbillon

Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:41 pm

Anonymous wrote:Although I can't afford bespoke, I'm purchasing my first MTM suit. It will be dark charcoal gray, 3 buttons, two side vents, high armholes, no pleats...and in a slim and fitted cut.

A black lining for the jacket is the norm, but I have the option of getting something more colorful...such as a striped lining.

What do people on LL think of colorful jacket linings???

I recommend against it if you are in a serious business. This appears to be a serious business suit. A striped lining will detract attention at an important meeting or presentation.

The lining can be seen when you reach for your wallet or at the cuff. Sometimes the lining can be seen at the vents or at the side of the pocket flaps.

Pick a charcoal or dark grey or black or a dark slate blue.

When you increase your wardrobe you can experiment with different linings.

Good luck.

Mark Seitelman

Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:51 pm

With sportcoats, I often get linings that contrast with the main color in the cloth or that match one of the accent colors.

With suits, I usually get waistcoats. Since the waistcoat back will show when I don't wear my suitcoat and I don't want to add a different color to the mix when having to choose a shirt, I choose a lining as close to the suit's main color as possible. If I don't get a waistcoat, as with summer DBs, I do the same as with a sportcoat - nice contrast or accent color.

I lost interest in fancy linings for their own sake a long time ago.

dopey

Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:12 pm

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Although I can't afford bespoke, I'm purchasing my first MTM suit. It will be dark charcoal gray, 3 buttons, two side vents, high armholes, no pleats...and in a slim and fitted cut.

A black lining for the jacket is the norm, but I have the option of getting something more colorful...such as a striped lining.

I recommend against it if you are in a serious business. This appears to be a serious business suit. A striped lining will detract attention at an important meeting or presentation.

The lining can be seen when you reach for your wallet or at the cuff. Sometimes the lining can be seen at the vents or at the side of the pocket flaps.

Good luck.

Mark Seitelman

Can you please describe for me a situation where the color of one's suit lining has actually detracted from business dealings?

I'm not talking pictures of Mickey Mouse, mind you, but, as you suggest, simple stripes?

What business setting was so easily distractible that something other than a dull colored lining actually ruined a meeting?

I just can't fathom it. I'm in America mind, perhaps we lost that in the wild and woolly days of the old west? ;-)

Have we become so startlingly conservative that a little color in a suit lining will fracture inconsolably one's attention span when one used to be able to dress like this?

I argue that there is significant allowance for, and difference in, tasteful use of colors and patterns in business attire, and that those uses do not all equate to "casual, too loud or even tacky".

Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:14 pm

Anonymous wrote:Let's face it, choice of colour is largely subjective provided you get the tones right. You should go with whatever you like.

I have a charcoal grey business suit which is lined in a deepish purple, and I personally think the combination works very well - distinctive and interesting without being ostentatious. I have the arms in all my suits lined in the same lining as the body. I would never line a suit in the same (or even similar) colour to the cloth because that just seems intrinsically dull. At the same time, I've never been one for fancy linings. I looked at some when I had my DJ made but ended up going with a silver lining (I wanted white, but my tailor advised against on the ground that it would get dirty too easily).

I disagree with FiS's comment that no-one sees the lining - almost everyone removes their jacket these days (air con and central heating are wonderful things) and so you do see it regularly. Another good reason for selecting something distinctive in my view.

Sartorius
Completely agree! And to follow some points made in other posts here, I assume those that can't stomach a tasteful colorful lining will also only where plain and dull neckwear too? ;)

Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:30 pm

Anonymous wrote:
Mark Seitelman wrote:
Anonymous wrote:. . . . What do people on LL think of colorful jacket linings???
I recommend against it if you are in a serious business. . . . A striped lining will detract attention at an important meeting or presentation.
The lining can be seen . . . .
When you increase your wardrobe you can experiment with different linings. . . .
Can you please describe for me a situation where the color of one's suit lining has actually detracted from business dealings?
I'm not talking pictures of Mickey Mouse, mind you, but, as you suggest, simple stripes?
What business setting was so easily distractible that something other than a dull colored lining actually ruined a meeting?
I just can't fathom it. I'm in America mind, perhaps we lost that in the wild and woolly days of the old west? ;-)
Have we become so startlingly conservative that a little color in a suit lining will fracture inconsolably one's attention span . . . ?
. . . . I argue that there is significant allowance for, and difference in, tasteful use of colors and patterns in business attire, and that those uses do not all equate to "casual, too loud or even tacky".
Making an exception to my practice not to reply to posters who've ignored Michael Alden's request to sign all postings after the initial one in an "Anonymous" thread, I write from the northeastern United States to confirm what Mark Seitelman has written: clients (I work as a lawyer, but physicians and engineers, among others, have made similar observations) here tend to think a man who sports "flashy" linings is himself "all flash": not what a competent professional would wish.

Of course, both the OP and the second "Anonymous" above could have anything they wish line their coats, if their tailors will allow that. But they shouldn't expect that most first impressions of the wearers will correspond with their own self-impressions. We may lament what that shows of human nature, but do let us not be so silly as to ignore reality.

RWS

Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:57 pm

Others will see the lining: if you have double vents, the skirt will occasionally flap in the breeze, and there will be a flash of color. You'll look like some rare tropical bird on the make.

That's a good thing!

Carl

Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:26 pm

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

Good luck.

Mark Seitelman

Have we become so startlingly conservative that a little color in a suit lining will fracture inconsolably one's attention span when one used to be able to dress like this?

I argue that there is significant allowance for, and difference in, tasteful use of colors and patterns in business attire, and that those uses do not all equate to "casual, too loud or even tacky".

I make this recommendation for a younger man who needs to make a more conservative business impression. An older, more established man, such as a self-employed businessman or professional, can have a bit more dash.

I have noticed that people notice one's clothing. I have found that those who claim no interest in clothes notice clothes. This is so even for minor details. E.g., a friend, who wears mainly sweatshirts and track pants, has commented when I have worn the following: crescent pockets on a blazer, the James Bond shirt cuff, and the three button cuff.

I recall on one of the fora a gentleman who had a cutaway coat made for his wedding. He had a red lining which you could see poking betweein this legs and at the sides. He would have been better served with a matching lining.

I think that it is best to keep a classic business suit classic in its details.

Mark Seitelman

Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:16 pm

I have never seen a jacket and thought: "That would be perfect in every way, if only the lining were not so dull."

Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:36 am

Some designers go to great lengths as far as fancy lining is concerned. Here Paul Smith donning a coat of his making with patterned (paisley) lining.

I would personally avoid anything like this. I have the impression that sooner or later one will have too much of such a colorful lining in a way one will not ever have too much of a more neutral color. Moreover, I think one’s coat will always be recognized as the one with that lining.

Marcelo

Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:57 pm

A sample of crimson lining on a breezy day...

Marcelo

Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:37 pm

I recently broke my streak of boring linings (unbroken since I drifted away from Chipp in the late 80s) by getting a red lining for my Solaro suit. Blood red with self-colored images of soap bubbles. Not the most serious getup, but I wouldn't wear that suit if testifying on my own behalf anyway.

Concordia

Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:44 am

Anonymous wrote:Not the most serious getup, but I wouldn't wear that suit if testifying on my own behalf anyway.

Concordia
Well put, Concordia!

Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:28 am

Is it more typical of English conservative SR style for lining in the sleeves to be the same in colour as the lining in the body?

Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:31 pm

Anonymous wrote:Is it more typical of English conservative SR style for lining in the sleeves to be the same in colour as the lining in the body?
I think SR suit sleeves are usually lined in some sort of stripey material on a cream background, but you can get whatever you ask for.

Frog in Suit
  • Information