Off Saville Road Bespoke

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

storeynicholas

Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:49 pm

Pickandpick wrote:Dear Haider

Mr Antoniou 020 78375168 makes a good approximation of a SR suit. Good finishing as a rule.

C&L - Mr Craig is ex Huntsman - a very individual cutter with great flair. I used him in the 1990s. Probably too expensive now - he was charging me about £2k for a 3 piece and extra trsrs back in 1999.

"George" - good point! The "George" I was referring to is in Cleveland St.
Connock & Lockie - My distinct impression in the mid to late 1990s was that they plucked a figure out of the air and, in my case, I was very pleasantly surprised. He made me a blue serge reefer jacket for about £750. However, I actually tried them out because a friend had had something made there and C&L also knew where I generally went (and what they charged) so it is not a straight-forward equation. But you will get SR quality for less than the big firms there charge.
NJS
Bishop of Briggs

Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:49 am

Pickandpick wrote:Dear Haider

Mr Antoniou 020 78375168 makes a good approximation of a SR suit. Good finishing as a rule.

C&L - Mr Craig is ex Huntsman - a very individual cutter with great flair. I used him in the 1990s. Probably too expensive now - he was charging me about £2k for a 3 piece and extra trsrs back in 1999.

"George" - good point! The "George" I was referring to is in Cleveland St.
Mr Craig Jnr, ex Huntsman, tragically died a couple of years ago. His father had retired by is back running the business with an assistant.
storeynicholas

Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:07 am

He is an excellent tailor (and his own master) and you could hardly do better, in any sense. I am quite, quite sure that he does not go so far as Rosa Lewis, of the old Cavendish Hotel, and pass on the bills of people she liked to the rich and famous but, as his own master, he might well charge you just as he pleases. Some places still operate like that. Don't think of it as; I can't afford a Rolls Royce, so I'll settle for less - just concentrate on getting the very best that you can for your money - and, remember, far better to have one and then, two top rate suits, than to have four second rate ones. Maybe start with a navy blue DB in a hardwearing serge; afterwards, maybe a grey worsted or flannel, or a Glen Urquart check and then move on to pinstripes and chalk stripes and tweeds and just take it as it comes - a carefully tended wardrobe soon grows; just bear in mind JFK's great exhortation, which I paraphrase: failure is not to aim too high and miss the mark - but to aim too low and hit it!.
NJS
Haider

Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:38 pm

Hi,

I elected to go with George's Tailors in Haringey on the evidence of a recommendation. George is very welcoming tailor and shares the benefit of his experience i.e. English Pleats Vs Italian pleats Vs flat front and how they can be used to for different silhouettes and their drawbacks. I have been for the two fittings as well as the initial measurements. I went for a Holland and Sherry (Legend swatch book) 140S wool in a shade of blue. As it's said the proof of the pudding's in the eating as I shall post photos of the suit in due course.

Thanks
Haider

PS
You don't get the luxurios shopping experience, that's not what I'm after, it's a small workshop with a changing room.
  • Information