A visit to James Smith & Sons a pictorial essay

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Cufflink79

Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:58 pm

Thank you for the neat photos. This is a real treat. Dose the firm produce a catalog or have a web site? I have read about this place in Alan Flusser's book, really good high quality products.

Best Regards,

Frank (cufflink79)
uppercase

Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:58 pm

I have to buy an umbrella now! In Malacca.
And then hope it rains.
Actually, a walking stick as well with a beautiful handle.
rjman

Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:11 pm

Dear Sirs:

On the subject of sword canes I have discovered a firm named Fayet still producing malacca-handled sword umbrellas of good quality (by sight). I have also discovered a French website selling a whangee-handled sword umbrella, also of good appearance, for 331 euro. I believe it is canneshop.com . If anyone wishes to purchase this fan of Steed an inaugural London Lounge gift they are welcome to do so.
E. Tage Larsen

Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:39 pm

Dear Frank:

James Smith's website is not for shopping. You need to contact the store and ask that they send you a catalogue.

Most sincerely,

E. Tage Larsen
alden

Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:00 pm

Dear RJman,

Fayet is located near Thiers a region famous in France for its production of knives and swords.

I recently contacted them about the idea of creating a special edition cane for the LL. I am not sure a sword is a good idea. Did you see the flask cane with the two glasses?
If only they had one big enough for a Magnum!

Cheers
whittaker

Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:59 pm

E. Tage Larsen wrote:Below are 3 images of the two James Smith umbrella's I own. Of the two, the Apple wood stick (top image, bottom umbrella) is my pride and joy. Because the umbrella is one piece of wood it's very heavy and extremely reliable. The middle and bottom image show it open. You can barely see that it fastens twice. It took a little time to get used to the heft but now i feel uncomfortable with anything lighter. Hope this helps. I think they have beautiful silhouettes.
They are superbly constructed and, as you say, possess beautiful silhouettes. I must make a visit to James Smith before the onset of Autumn.

Thank you.
CJC

Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:02 am

This is by far my favorite store anywhere--I have a slim umbrella of theirs with a hazel knob handle and will be ordering a solid stick ash root knob shortly. My job is increasingly taking me into bad neighborhoods and the one I have now isn't really adequate for whacking murderers.
  • Information