Dore Dore, Pantherella, Bresciani Lisle Cotton socks

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Leon

Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:43 pm

I have been disappointed by Richard James's socks made by Pantherella. The heels have worn out before you can say ' windowpane check'.

I have just got hold of some over the calf socks from Gamarelli in Rome, in clerical black, episcopal purple, and cardinal red, in both cotton and wool. Not expensive. Let's see how they wear...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/f ... 582288.stm

Leon
Sebastian Tombs

Sat May 19, 2007 9:00 pm

I have a reasonable stock of Pantherella cashmere and sea island cotton socks, and I am very delighted about them. I have 14 pairs for each fabric, so as to rotate them fairly often and avoid excessive wear. So far, I am pleased.
MTM

Sun May 20, 2007 3:17 am

I like Rohner socks, some of which I bought from Sierra Trading post, and some from Germany (I think they're Swiss).

I know this is not primarily about sock care, but since it's been brought up so much I thought I'd add my way, though it's probably fairly common: hand washing them in shampoo, rinsing, "washing" them in conditioner, and again rinsing. Then wringing them out in a towel and setting them on a rack.

It's time-consuming, but not that much time, and I have socks that have lasted for 12+ yrs. I find it a relaxing break from writing my dissertation.
alden

Sun May 20, 2007 3:29 pm

hand washing them in shampoo, rinsing, "washing" them in conditioner, and again rinsing. Then wringing them out in a towel and setting them on a rack.
You might think to add a dash of Floris talc to the socks before you fold them.

"Maintenance is the sine qua non of Elegance."

Balzac
MTM

Sun May 20, 2007 5:12 pm

Mr. Alden,

Thank you for the hint. How is the talc applied? To the inside of the socks?
I like how you said "folded." As a kid I tried to get my mom to stop slipping one sock inside the band of the other and then rolling them down, which stretched out the outer sock. In the end I just folded them in half myself and then laid them in a drawer w/ the folds of each pair alternating in directions.
Is there a generally approved way of storage?

I'm fairly materialistic in the sense that things become like old friends, even socks.

m
James Lee

Sat May 26, 2007 3:39 am

I have to agree that Dore Dore socks seem better than Pantherella. I can also highly recommend Marcoliani.
kolecho

Mon May 28, 2007 3:37 am

Does anyone have the address of Gallo socks in Milan?

Mon May 28, 2007 12:13 pm

What would be really nice is to measure longevity of the various brands under harsh conditions. I can provide Pantherella numbers because I purchased 20 pairs Pantherella cotton l'isle socks 1 year ago from the AK. I subject them to the washer/dryer hell. I think I have had attrition of two pairs so far and I notice wear at the heals of some other pairs (but no holes). I will give more precise numbers as time goes on.
pemazel

Thu May 31, 2007 8:37 pm

Will wrote:Unfortunately, I never see patterns made by either Dore Dore of Falk, so I'm left to choose between Pantherella or solid colored hose. I try to avoid solids but for the occasional bottle green or maroon.
see: www.falke.com Look for the luxury line; the 'socks with numbers" .

Paul
Dibbs

Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:47 pm

I have found http://www.socksfox.com excellent in fulfilling my desires for socks. A very helpful lady at SocksFox has placed special orders for colours that have not been shown on their site. As well as Falke (my day to day favourite) they also supply Dore Dore, Marcoliani, Rohner and Burlington. I have fallen in love with the Marcoliani but yet to try Dore Dore. Rohner I have found make really great Trekking socks but I have yet to try much else as yet by Rohner. They are Swiss as was mentioned earlier in the thread, very advanced in their design and construction. Pantherella, Gallo and Bresciani I am yet to sample!
Simon A

Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:05 am

Thanks Dibbs. I had been trying to find silk hose for wear with dinner suit for a while, but my searches online kept turning up options that were either very expensive (up to $100/pair once postage is included) or "specialty" hose for drag queens....

The site you mention has Falke silk hose for a reasonable price.
Dibbs

Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:40 pm

My pleasure Simon. I have found it interesting to read other peoples views on this forum since I came across it only recently. LOL re the hose for drag queens!
$100 for a pair is indeed a lot to pay for silk socks, the Falke silk socks do seem very good value in comparison. The Falke No 4 Pure Silk socks are a very luxurious dress sock, hard to beat for my mind. I have some myself and can highly recommend them.
ay329

Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:15 am

Simon A wrote:Thanks Dibbs. I had been trying to find silk hose for wear with dinner suit for a while, but my searches online kept turning up options that were either very expensive.
For my evening dress tails I opted for the below: Yes I could've opted for solid black hose...but why?
http://www.customshirt1.com/cgi-bin/com ... y=L62J927L
Dibbs

Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:02 am

Looks like you've made a nice choice. As you say something a little different is good at times. I'd be interested to hear your impression of your new Bresciani socks. Hope they are really lovely!

Dibbs
BirdofSydney

Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:05 am

I have numerous pairs of Pantharella, Gallo, and Marcoliani. I am yet to try Dore Dore, but it's next on my hit list.

I've experienced no real problems with any of them, to be honest. My Marcoliani solids haven't held up quite as nicely as I'd like, but my Pantharellas have all been fine. Some of my Gallo OTCs are just a bit heavier than I like, and accordingly I don't wear them much.

Can anyone tell me, are Dore Dore generally reasonably light/fine?
  • Information