My Optimo Hat Arrived

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

RWS

Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:32 pm

Thanks, Collarmelton. It's an appealling 'site, even to one who seldom wears hats.
Matt Deckard

Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:23 pm

Glad you're pleased with the Art's hat. He's good at making that 30's high crown and he's gotten more into the shorter brims.

I just hope the low sloaping crowns stay at bay for a few decades. Anone else have hats to share?
storeynicholas

Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:26 pm

The two hatters mentioned above make seemingly splendid bespoke felt hats and one of them also supplies panamas. But they are both in the USA. There is, for the UK and European market, Patey's in Dulwich, South London www.pateyhats.com who specialize in bespoke hard hats - hunt caps and hunting weight cokes (bowlers or derbies). But they can make any bespoke hat, including full dress naval and military hats and are famous for supplying theatrical productions and films. They even have a special site for rare vintage silk toppers, at reasonable prices. As far as I know they are the only bespoke hatters left in the UK - anyone know of any others in Europe, please? I believe that Borsalino is now readymade only and their old factory is now the University campus in Alexandria, Italy - which goes to show the decline in hats.
edhayes

Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:57 am

Orlando at Worth & Worth in NYC will make hats to order where the buyer selects the felt type and color, the band, the lining and the style. I think he is very good, he has made me some very unusual hats. He just made me a purple fedora with a brown band that is lovely. And it is not in the slightest flashy.
He is at 45W57 st.
There is also a lady named Kelli Christy who makes a good hat to order in NYC, she has made me several and I like them very much.
  • Information