Ascots

"He had that supreme elegance of being, quite simply, what he was."

-C. Albaret describing Marcel Proust

Style, chic, presence, sex appeal: whatever you call it, you can discuss it here.
alden

Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:09 pm

No. I never had hives. I've been wearing ascots for centuries now.
Not only will you not have hives, but if you wear a cache cou ("neckcover" ie Ascot) you will very likely avoid the common cold. I know many of you would miss the varied delights of those two weeks of sniffles, coughs, sneezes, drips and sleepless nights. So leave your pasty white neck exposed. You will earn the love of your fellow man, the disgust of his woman, and feel yourself a staunch democrat. Oh and do buy a years supply of Nyquil! :wink: :!:

Cheers
Rob O

Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:00 pm

uppercase wrote:No. I never had hives. I've been wearing ascots for centuries now.
Does an ascot help to hide the bite marks?

theoldesouth

Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:37 am

Uppercase: Still no irritation here, either. :D

Rob O: :lol:

Michael A: My mother tells me that the French have long espoused that 'theory'. Despite that and the continued common use of neckcovers, I've heard lots of sniffling and sneezing 'round Paris... :roll: Certainly keeps one warm and chic, though! :wink:

Best to you, all,

John
theoldesouth

Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:56 am

To help avoid heat rash, if a concern, lift up your shirt collar and wrap your ascot around it, as you would a necktie, rather than directly against your skin, folding the center section of the ascot, if necessary, so that it's covered by the shirt collar when lowered.

Alain Figaret and Charvet both have a nice selection of ascots. The ones that I inspected at the latter were French made and those at the former, Italian made. Both in a lighter silk than on offer at Mme. Jacquard's. And Charvet's were more expensive.

Cheers

John
theoldesouth

Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:44 am

By the way, to clarify regarding whether feeling comfortable wearing ascots and the like, or not, it's not so much caring what others may think of it as it is being in an environment that inspires self-expression, in dress and otherwise, including the simple act of wearing an ascot.

Many of you know just what I mean. :wink:
uppercase

Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:04 pm

That's true, south. Ascots just don't work in the boonies, not even ties.
And wearing them anywhere requires a certain je ne sais quoi.
I haven't seen many, if any, photos of gents wearing their ascots…most anything else, yes, but not ascots. Nor hats for that matter.
It's the times.. And a certain conformity and self consciousness.
theoldesouth

Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:04 pm

Boonies. That's it. :roll:

Meanwhile, in Paris tonight, as far from Boonieville as one could possibly get, I was walking along an avenue and crossed paths with another ascot wearer, admittedly a rare sight even here. Neither of us looking the least bit pretentious, rather just pleasantly warm, we acknowledged one another's good taste with a nod and a smile and carried on. :)
theoldesouth

Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:11 pm

Micheal,

Just perfect. :wink:
couch

Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:49 pm

Michael's picture is a study in insouciant layering: ascot/cravat, candy-stripe shirt, what appears to be a butter-yellow cardigan peeking out, silk scarf, and splendid tweed jacket. Perfect for changeable weather.
theoldesouth

Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:46 am

Very true, Couch.

Practical and handsomely assembled and worn.

And admired.

Regards,
'South'
Costi

Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:40 pm

Whenever I'm not wearing a tie, I'm wearing an ascot. It's a practical thing, not a foppish adornment.
Isn't it intellectualizing in an overly self-conscious manner to worry about social exclusion on account of a square inch of coloured silk peeping from behind one's collar?! I see people more easily offended by attitude, whether expressed or implied, than by any element of dress: it depends on what level you usually engage others. I think we tend to interpret dress too much as a social statement - it can come across as that, if it is accompanied by an attitude of separation that supports it; otherwise, people are more busy with you than with your dress. And they just take your dress for what it is. Lose your self-consciousness, if any, and people around you will act accordingly. Whenever they get to notice your ascot during conversation, it will only broaden the smile they already have on their lips.
Costi

Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:41 pm

Rob O wrote:
uppercase wrote:No. I never had hives. I've been wearing ascots for centuries now.
Does an ascot help to hide the bite marks?

In some countries, yes! :twisted:
alden

Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:45 pm

:D :D :D :D Oh goodness she forgot to wear her Ascot!

alden

Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:00 pm

Probably are a lot worse acting jobs than going around biting the necks of pretty girls. I may have to suggest some blood curdling scene work in class.

Bela, when he wasn't sampling hemoglobin, was a dandy of a Dracula.

• Information