Huntsman changes hands

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

hectorm

Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:48 pm

Well, I´m in a very good mood today. So after reading this article -instead of reaching for my cyanide pill- I would just say that at least there is total transparency regarding what the new astray owners of Hunstman are after.
culverwood

Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:51 am

I suppose if you only have £350M there will always be someone with a bigger yacht in the harbour but there will nobody with a tailor in their pocket with a more prestigious name than Huntsman. And it will cost less to run than a mega-yacht.
uppercase

Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:58 pm

All of you traditionalist retrogrades, get with the program!
Melcombe

Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:01 am

They have been sold a pup.

Huntsman isn't a brand. It was however an institution.

It was a collection of craftsmen under the leadership of an owner, with a clientèle who cared nothing for the views of people they had not been formally introduced to. That is no longer the case : it's now just a clothes shop with a better than average alterations service.

I do think that the article is brilliantly measured. The subliminal disdain for the new owners' enthusiasm is truly delicious.
hectorm

Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:03 am

Melcombe wrote: I do think that the article is brilliantly measured. The subliminal disdain for the new owners' enthusiasm is truly delicious.
I agree Ms. Edwardes has been very kind with her words and has written a very honest article. That's why I don't believe there's any subliminal disdain, but just an open and perplexed recognition of her incapacity to understand other people's dreams.
What Huntsman new owners are doing with the firm -and their whole lifestyle- is so outrageous that simply telling the facts sounds like mockery.
Russell

Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:19 am

hectorm wrote:
Melcombe wrote: I do think that the article is brilliantly measured. The subliminal disdain for the new owners' enthusiasm is truly delicious.
I agree Ms. Edwardes has been very kind with her words and has written a very honest article. That's why I don't believe there's any subliminal disdain, but just an open and perplexed recognition of her incapacity to understand other people's dreams.
What Huntsman new owners are doing with the firm -and their whole lifestyle- is so outrageous that simply telling the facts sounds like mockery.
Hectorm's last paragraph (above) hits the exact spot.

I would consider there to be healthy dose of subliminal distain in the article though. :wink:

Regards
Russell
uppercase

Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:15 pm

Anyone here have a suit made at Huntsman post ownership change ?
uppercase

Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:52 pm

I guess not …
alphabet

Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:49 pm

I will soon be making my first trip to London since discovering my sartorial inclinations and am saddened to read this news. It will be my first visit to Savile Row as an adult and to not have seen Huntsman as it was once was is a disappointment. If only I had known what I might be missing out on the last time I was there...

Regards,
A
hectorm

Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:43 pm

alphabet wrote: It will be my first visit to Savile Row as an adult and to not have seen Huntsman as it was once was is a disappointment. If only I had known what I might be missing out on the last time I was there...
In this case I would strongly advise you read: Bespoke: Savile Row Ripped and Smoothed by Richard Anderson. I was a Huntsman patron during the nineties and I can say that the book will give you a very accurate idea. Fun reading too.
  • Information