My first commission - well, not really

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

DFR

Tue May 08, 2012 8:25 am

davidhuh wrote:
DFR wrote: It is a good looking suit, congratulations.
Thank you DFR!
DFR wrote: What were your original ideas and in what way did he object to them?
My professional environment is academic and governmental. Also, I travel a lot. I found something on Steed's website which I thought would be very useful for me: the Swiss Army Suit http://steeds-view.blogspot.co.uk/2009/ ... -suit.html
He said we could certainly do one, but he would prefer to establish the pattern before embarking in such a complex undertaking. This made sense to me. So we did this dark blue worsted with two trousers - which is in itself a very versatile suit.
DFR wrote:This rather typifies my experience with him putting forward his preferences rather more strongly than I have found with other equally good tailors.
I have no problem with this, as I am not the expert on everything :D
I am looking for honest feedback from my tailor and told him so.

cheers, David
Thanks for this, I must say that I have a reasonable amount of experience with other cutters and I felt that he was taking me backwards which is of little help to me.
Rowly

Tue May 08, 2012 10:55 am

davidhuh, Great post and excellent pics. You look at one with the suit and that is why it looks so stylish. It is very nicely shaped and yet has a nice flow and looks comfortable, I think.

My first suit was from the same book, and I have been increasing the weight ever since.

I can't wait to see your tweed suit and hear your experiences. I have two worsted alsports, which I really like...but want to move up to a genuine but refined tweed.

Congratulations both on your suits and on the great rapport you have developed with Mr. Mahon, which is evident in the wearing. Thanks.
hectorm

Tue May 08, 2012 3:37 pm

Rowly wrote: You look at one with the suit and that is why it looks so stylish.......great rapport you have developed with Mr. Mahon, which is evident in the wearing.
Rowly said it exactly right: "you look at one with the suit". That was the same I saw in your corduroy thread. Congratulations again!
Mahon's soft touch is serving your body type very well. Have you been working out with weights lately? :)
A question, if I may in my curiosity, regarding the trousers:
the side adjusters are fully on the band, and not midway between the band and the trousers. Was this something of your choice?
davidhuh

Tue May 08, 2012 7:35 pm

Dear Rowly, dear Hectorm,

thank you for your kind words :D . Although I am very happy with the suits, I was still a bit nervous before posting the pictures...

Re. the side adjusters: This is Mr. Mahon style, so to speak. I know other tailors put them midway, and even others below. May be another issue tailors are religious about? :roll: - I discussed it with Mr. Mahon, he says this is the way. As I hardly ever use them because I love the comfort of wearing braces, it doesn't really matter to me.

Weights: I have to put my energy somewhere :)

cheers, david
uppercase

Thu May 10, 2012 6:18 pm

I think Mahon did a very good job for you.
And you wear the clothes well.
Tutumulut

Wed May 16, 2012 8:06 am

David, they say that clothes maketh a man. But after seeing these pictures and the ones of your cord suit, I feel that man also can make the clothes. Wonderful posture and very well accentuating your tailor's style.

Lifting weights seem like a good idea. I do it myself, I carry some with me all the time whilst still having my hands free. :P
davidhuh

Wed May 16, 2012 6:24 pm

Dear Uppercase,
dear Rick,

thank you for your very kind words :D

The LL has brought me back on track in terms of dressing. It is indeed a privilege to be here and to get the expertise from other members and also the tailors - thinking of Frank Shattuck, Leonard Logsdail and Edwin DeBoise

cheers, david
  • Information