How warm is flannel?

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
rodes

Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:25 pm

T.K. Not to worry. This weight is quite serviceable and I'm sure that you have made a good choice that you will enjoy for many years. If you are anything like the others on this forum, and of course you are, then you will be ready for another flannel suit in due course. You may even decide to stay with this weight. In any event you will look great and feel warm and comfortable in the mean time.
Merc

Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:48 pm

rodes wrote:For me tweed does not wear warm. Perhaps this why it is and should be heavy. It is best when worn over a warm sweater or shirt. Of course, there are other very good reasons to wear tweed, namely its unique character and unrivaled depth of color. I enjoy wearing it and do so whenever the occasion calls.
But flannel is the cloth for cool weather business and most indoor social events. Nothing beats it in a drafty office. .
a drafty office? in the U.S.? you must own your own office building and be stingy on the thermostat!
in all the years that i worked in offices in NY, ive never been anywhere where it was less than 75 F all winter long in the office and ive worked in one place
where the ambient temp was about 73 on one side, but on the sw side in the windowed offices, it rose to 77 or so in the afternoon, with the saving grace that the window was operable.

that is my central problem with heavy fabrics. everywhere ive ever worked is either warmer inside in winter than in summer or at least roughly the same temp.
T.K.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:51 pm

Rodes, you are right. Maybe my next one will even be a worsted :wink:.
Gruto

Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:55 pm

Merc wrote:that is my central problem with heavy fabrics. everywhere ive ever worked is either warmer inside in winter than in summer or at least roughly the same temp.
Good point, Merc. I experience the same: it is often warmer inside during winter, which means that DBs, flannel jackets or (city) tweed jackets will often be too warm. A worsted jacket is usually more comfortable, unless, of course, you don't wear a jacket at the office :)
Merc

Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:30 pm

Gruto wrote: Good point, Merc. I experience the same: it is often warmer inside during winter, which means that DBs, flannel jackets or (city) tweed jackets will often be too warm. A worsted jacket is usually more comfortable, unless, of course, you don't wear a jacket at the office :)
which is why i tried a 3-piece last year out of one of the LL fabrics i think it was the original agnelli tweed which must be 14-15 oz or so

i figured its warm enough to wear outside as a 3-piece with a scarf down to about 35F, and then as soon as i get inside take off the jacket and still haev the vest to keep me looking neat.
conceptually it works, but unfortunately its a bit warm still!!
rodes

Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:01 am

Merc, You are quite correct in claiming that most offices in the US tend to be overheated. Mine is an exception. It has six windows that catch west wind and is often drafty. I wish that I owned the building because it has tons of character not uncommon for a structure 110 years old, but I spent all my money on flannel suits. It is a decision that I have never regretted mainly because of my last reason to wear flannel.
Rowly

Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:00 am

What would you say is the nicest mid grey plain flannel, regardless of warmth...in a warm toned grey, not a cool toned bluish grey? For a citified look ?
rogiercreemers

Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:27 am

Would you have a picture of that?
bond_and_beyond

Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:48 pm

Does any of you gentlemen have any experience with the J&J Minnis "Luxury English Flannel" in 12-13 oz weight? I am considering a dark grey Prince of Wales check for a 3-piece suit I contemplating commissioning.

See the link below for the cloth I am considering (pattern no 0339):

http://www.hfwltd.com/bobb.php?b=jjm&c=7&p=4

How can one tell if this is woolen flannel or worsted flannel? And is the weight to light for flannel to be durable?

Thanks,
S
rogiercreemers

Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:54 am

It's a lovely fabric. I have a suit in the 0341 (brown PoW). It wears quite warm, and it drapes wonderfully. As I've only had it since end of last year, I couldn't comment on durability, but it does look quite substantial.
bond_and_beyond

Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:05 pm

Thanks for the feedback and PMs!

Will this cloth be appropriate for a 3 piece worn as business wear (law firm)?

Also, what do you gentlemen think of doing the waistcoat as in the pic in the link below:

http://screenmusings.org/Thunderball/pa ... ll_013.htm

Thanks,
S
beggarman

Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:08 pm

I had a single breasted 3-roll-2 suit made up from the minnis blue PoW flannel (0341), and it's too soon to comment on longevity or wear, given I have only worn it a handful of times.

For what it's worth the I don't think the minnis photos capture the colour of the cloth in real light, particularly with the flannels.
emc894

Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:06 pm

Am I correct in thinking that a woolen flannel should be fully lined because it is a somewhat "fragile" fabric? My thinking its that full interior lining can help keep its shape and prolong life, and it isn't particularly breathable anyway so I won't sacrifice much comfort.
davidhuh

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:37 pm

emc894 wrote:Am I correct in thinking that a woolen flannel should be fully lined because it is a somewhat "fragile" fabric? My thinking its that full interior lining can help keep its shape and prolong life, and it isn't particularly breathable anyway so I won't sacrifice much comfort.
Dear emc894,

a flannel suit should be fully lined, correct. But not for the reason you are quoting. It is an autumn/winter cloth, therefore fully lined. Life prolongation by lining? :roll: - sounds rather adventurous.

cheers, david
old henry

Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:14 am

Fully lined pants lessen the wear { friction } of the skin on the cloth. The cloth slides over the lining. Especially a softer cloth. Especially at the knee but seat and crotch too. Lined below the knee, both front and back.
  • Information