Perfumes

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
uppercase

Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:38 pm

BTW, does anyone know if the Chanel boutiques sell Cuir de Russie as a parfum?

Chanel never answers the phone; what the hell is it with these French?

Anyone know of a good online source to buy perfume?
Gido

Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:59 pm

uppercase wrote:BTW, does anyone know if the Chanel boutiques sell Cuir de Russie as a parfum?

cuir de russie is available as a parfum, i am not certain if every chanel boutique sells it, though.

ebay is a great online source to buy perfume, if you know what to look for. i most of the time prefer the vintage stuff.
many niche brands sell their perfumes directly from their sites. for instance, you can buy the serge lutens exclusive bell jars online on their own site. the designer stuff is even easier to get online.
uppercase

Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:46 am

Gido wrote:
uppercase wrote:BTW, does anyone know if the Chanel boutiques sell Cuir de Russie as a parfum?

cuir de russie is available as a parfum, i am not certain if every chanel boutique sells it, though.

ebay is a great online source to buy perfume, if you know what to look for. i most of the time prefer the vintage stuff.
many niche brands sell their perfumes directly from their sites. for instance, you can buy the serge lutens exclusive bell jars online on their own site. the designer stuff is even easier to get online.
Thanks.

Who do you like buying from on Ebay?

Any experience with diffusers and home perfumes?
alexeberlin

Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:53 am

I have a couple of people on ebay I've brought from and have had quick service,genuine products and fast delivery. I'll look into my ebay purchase history and let you know.
alexeberlin

Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:04 am

I've sent a pm to uppercase about ebay merchants I've had good experiences with. I could post the information here if its not considered inappropriate.
All over the world

Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:02 pm

A man should never speak of perfume but rather of Scent! :)
Costi

Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:47 pm

All over the world wrote:A man should never speak of perfume but rather of Scent! :)
hmmm... I like that! :)
(although I'm not sure we understand it the same way)
NJS

Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:37 pm

Costi wrote:
All over the world wrote:A man should never speak of perfume but rather of Scent! :)
hmmm... I like that! :)
(although I'm not sure we understand it the same way)
One explanation is given in Noblesse Oblige, by Nancy Mitford.
NJS
alden

Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:33 pm

UC

The Chanel shops on Rue Cambon and Avenue Montaigne carry Cuir d Russie. But you are better off with Tabac Blond or Knize in this style scent.

Michael
uppercase

Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:22 pm

alden wrote:UC

The Chanel shops on Rue Cambon and Avenue Montaigne carry Cuir d Russie. But you are better off with Tabac Blond or Knize in this style scent.

Michael
I've tried samples of these 3: Tabac, Knize and Russie, all purchased from
www. theperfumedcourt.com

I enjoyed them all but preferred Russie.

Perfume is wonderful; I really cannot get enough...I don't know how many samples I ordered from that site....

With cold weather upon us, all the best things are now available to us: hearty food, strong wine, peaty scotch, tweeds and thick and heavy parfums. And on....

Dopey long time ago advised to seek out pure parfums rather than the eau de toilette; good advice, that. An altogether different scent proposition.

One current favorite is L'air du desert Marocain by Andy Tauer; smells of car oil, burnt rubber and emptiness, on the opening, just like the actual Moroccan desert roads; got to love that. But there are so many.

So much to enjoy in life, isn't there?
alden

Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:17 pm

I've sent a pm to uppercase about ebay merchants I've had good experiences with. I could post the information here if its not considered inappropriate.
Please do.

Michael
alden

Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:26 pm

Dopey long time ago advised to seek out pure parfums rather than the eau de toilette; good advice, that. An altogether different scent proposition.
Good advice. There is also an intermediate step between the EdT and Parfum. Caron calls it "Eau de Parfum" and it is useful for men.
So much to enjoy in life, isn't there?
Sure is. But this year I have promised myself not to don the seven kilo winter innertube that comes with the hearty food, strong wine and unpeaty scotch.

Cheers

Michael
alden

Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:38 pm

habit rouge is one of the greatest masculines. and talking about orientals, good to see new york mentioned. one of my favorites. smells great, brilliant composition, very distinctive, exceptional quality.
Gido,

Welcome to the LL. Yes HR is an oriental and it is a great classic. It is omnipresent in France. You smell it everywhere. New York will become a classic as well.

The old TB is something else. It is getting almost impossible to find except on Ebay and one wonders if the contents are really the original. I still like the current TB enough. Daltroff knew what he was doing. "Pour Un Homme" de Caron is another superb scent.

Cheers

Michael
Costi

Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:20 am

alden wrote:"Pour Un Homme" de Caron is another superb scent.
It is, but I can't get over the vanilla... it turns my liver inside out :( That's a Charon for me...
But I have to try Caron's Les Plus Belles Lavandes that you once recommended - that one promises to redeem Pour un Homme for me.
Costi

Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:22 am

uppercase wrote:smells of car oil, burnt rubber and emptiness, on the opening, just like the actual Moroccan desert roads; got to love that.
Did you try Santa Maria Novella's "Nostalgia"? It's Lemans in a bottle.
  • Information