Understanding French Ties

"He had that supreme elegance of being, quite simply, what he was."

-C. Albaret describing Marcel Proust

Style, chic, presence, sex appeal: whatever you call it, you can discuss it here.
Noble Savage

Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:45 am

French and some European politicians often wear dark, single color, ties. Is this a hold over from an earlier age? What is the reason for this development? Are British tie-wearers braver?
Concordia

Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:00 pm

I'm doing more of that these days. Black or midnight blue.

A firmer spine to the image, and allows for much more diversity in the choice of other fabrics.
Milo

Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:12 am

I would agree with Concordia on the diversity in choice of fabrics.

As prominent example, former President Nicolas Sarkozy too used to wear dark, single-colour ties, but they were very often knitted (I think - though here I am less sure - Emmanuel Macron also wears knitted ties quite regularly). The structure of the knit adds visual interest without diminishing the seriousness conveyed by a tie in a single, sombre colour.

Milo
rjman

Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:19 pm

Sarko allegedly wore grenadine silk ties, I believe the erstwhile tailoring company Stark & Sons claimed he wore theirs (which were made by Boivin).
Concordia

Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:23 pm

Milo wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:12 am
I would agree with Concordia on the diversity in choice of fabrics.

As prominent example, former President Nicolas Sarkozy too used to wear dark, single-colour ties, but they were very often knitted (I think - though here I am less sure - Emmanuel Macron also wears knitted ties quite regularly). The structure of the knit adds visual interest without diminishing the seriousness conveyed by a tie in a single, sombre colour.

Milo
I was thinking more about jackets and shirts. A black, slightly textured tie can stand up to a tweed jacket with a Jermyn St striped shirt quite well. No need to fuss about finding exactly the correct shade of whatever.
aston

Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:04 am

Interesting. For many years all I wore were ties from Hermes. Now, long retired, I have chosen to wear small knot grenadines from Budd in dark, muted, colours, and little else.
Concordia

Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:50 pm

Not what I would endorse for everyone, but a small handful of those will cover most of what one needs.
alden

Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:03 pm

French and some European politicians often wear dark, single color, ties. Is this a hold over from an earlier age? What is the reason for this development? Are British tie-wearers braver?
At certain levels of society and in most formal settings, understated dress is a constant across many European cultures and particularly in France and Italy. The contest seems to be who can understate who in gray suits, white shirts and dark gray or black ties. More daring blue suits with white shirts and navy ties can appear racy in this context.

Imagervklg6 by The London Lounge, on Flickr

Image4a786f6ba08a5_zoom by The London Lounge, on Flickr

Just remember that style comes from within so muted dress on an Agnelli or Toto will appear "understated" while it will fade to "dull" on any other mere style mortals.

I have always favored plain or micro patterned navy or dark blue ties in my own dress and those silks get a real workout while other gather dust.

ImageDDD67BB6-572D-4F7E-8B91-8EE909CBA454_1_201_a by The London Lounge, on Flickr

Cheers
Scot

Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:36 pm

muted dress on an Agnelli or Toto will appear "understated" while it will fade to "dull" on any other mere style mortals.
A thought that obviously keeps HM awake at night.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/lo ... it-8124575
Noble Savage

Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:59 pm

If one looks at pictures of European royals in the same countries, however, one doesn't see this sort of thing. The King of Spain does not usually wear that dark single tone tie as Macron does.
Last edited by Noble Savage on Tue May 07, 2024 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nem500

Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:17 am

Politicians used to dress more varied in the XX century. One could find plenty of suits with checks, windowpanes, herringbones, flannels and other interesting fabrics. There was also more variation in the ties. Dressing well and elegantly, like say Eden, was an admired trait.

For better or worse, these days politicians' dress has narrowed to a single-breasted navy or grey worsted suit with a fairly plain tie (or no tie at all). There are few if any politicians that dare step out of this very narrow consensus. The ones that come to mind are Obama when he wore a tan suit (and he never did it again after the press remarked upon it) and Trudeau who has worn three-piece suits in the past. Perhaps some lesser-known politicians are more stylish and wear some nicer fabrics.

Female politicians on the contrary do have a much wider wardrobe.
  • Information