Ivory dress shirt

"He had that supreme elegance of being, quite simply, what he was."

-C. Albaret describing Marcel Proust

Style, chic, presence, sex appeal: whatever you call it, you can discuss it here.
Scot

Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:31 pm

Any views on the ivory dress shirt? It seems a very minor tweak to the black tie get up, but tolerable?
alden

Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:59 pm

The black on white contrast is what gives the DJ its special presence. The black on ivory by diminishing that contrast may well diminish the presence as well.

But the wearer's presence trumps these mundane perambulations, so if you feel like you hold the world in the palm of your hand when you wear it......why not?

Cheers
Noble Savage

Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:05 pm

If the lighting is candlelight, then it looks just fine.
davidhuh

Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:25 pm

Scot wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:31 pm
Any views on the ivory dress shirt? It seems a very minor tweak to the black tie get up, but tolerable?
Dear Scot,

I have both and prefer the ivory because it softens contrast.

Cheers, David
andy57

Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:40 pm

I had Emma Willis make me an ivory dress shirt, but all the marcella pieces were, essentially, white. So it was a fail. But, based on my experience with ivory or any off-white shirt, I would say such shirts tend to just look dingy. My advice is to stick to white. The only exception would be a silk shirt.
Melcombe

Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:45 pm

andy57 wrote:
I had Emma Willis make me an ivory dress shirt, but all the marcella pieces were, essentially, white. So it was a fail. But, based on my experience with ivory or any off-white shirt, I would say such shirts tend to just look dingy. My advice is to stick to white. The only exception would be a silk shirt.
I think a plain ivory silk shirt looks splendid in most settings.

IIRC from their advertising, a while back Emma Willis was marketing them specifically to wear with a dinner jacket. They are on her website under "evening shirts".
Concordia

Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:02 pm

Perhaps with a less formal jacket. I'm about to take delivery on a more or less unconstructed jacket with 50s-style shawl lapels (thin and straight, not bellied or wide). It's already going to be less crisp than the standard SR 3-pc, so that might work.

Of course, it won't really need it, either.
davidhuh

Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:24 pm

andy57 wrote:
Well well, ivory shirt plus white Marcella, that would not be my favoured combination I'm afraid. My ivory dress shirt has a pleated front instead.

Cheers, David
  • Information