Monk Strap Shoes

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

pgolden

Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:45 am

When are they appropriate if black?
JMurphy

Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:49 am

I hope you are referring to the shoes! (Sorry, couldn't help myself.) I own and wear monks frequently. They are considered 'casual' and I dress 'casually' often--that is, trousers, odd jacket and open collar. Monks seem to be the perfect shoe for this 'look.'

Although I prefer my brown leather and suede monks I wear a pair of black with black trousers (the horror!) on occasion. If there are ANY rules they haven't made it to Seattle, so I often end up the most highly dressed man in the room. If anyone in this town looks down at me because I'm wearing inappropriate footwear---well, I can't imagine that happening.

Sorry for the mild rant.
manton

Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:41 pm

To me, the monk is a less formal shoe (about in the middle of the scale) and would not be so useful in black. If I have to wear black shoes, then usually I am wearing clothes that demand cap-toed oxfords. On all other occasions, I wear brown.

One thing black monks would be great for, however: a DB blazer, gray trousers, and a smart shirt. That's about the dressiest you can be without wearing a suit.
DD MacDonald

Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:54 pm

I'm a big fan of black monks. I find them to be an "in between" shoe, less formal than a winged or capped shoe because they are less conformal. I enjoy them because they are just that bit different from the standard. Black monks and a blue suit are an easy "go to" look for me.

I have some cousins in Bermuda who are attorneys who wear monks as their formal business shoes and I am happy to carry on the tradition state-side.

DDM
maxnharry

Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:01 pm

I think the black ones are a little Plymouth Rock for me and prefer brown monks.
edhayes

Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:31 am

I wear black monk straps made of pigskin with a suit when I want to dress it down a bit or with a blue suit in the summer-if I am wearing a bright shirt and tie with a blue suit, I might wear black monks
On the other hand, I might wear them with a grey striped suit if I wanted to dress it up a bit and was wearing say a small checked ties
Ed Driscoll

Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:38 am

I agree with the others--it's a somewhat casual shoe, best for sportsjackets, blazers, or dressing down a suit, say for dinner.

While I have a pair black Brooks Brothers monk straps, and get a fair amount of use out of them, I really like them in suede, and have a pair from Alden.

I know Church's made a pair of suede monk straps for many years, but I'm not sure if they still do. Does any manufacturer available in the States make a RTW pair of suede monkstraps besides Alden?
SouthPender

Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:20 pm

If we were to approach this topic with the goal of creating a formality continuum involving black shoes, might the following locate the monk shoe correctly?--

BLACK (most formal to less formal): Plain-toe oxford > plain cap-toe oxford > perfed cap-toe oxford > semi-brogue oxford > plain-toe monk > cap-toe monk > full-brogue oxford > all other monks and all derbies (bluchers).

BROWN and OXBLOOD: the most formal--say a plain-toe oxford--might kick in at about the level of the black plain-toe monk.

Manton, does this look right? Perhaps a single-dimensional continuum doesn't capture things ideally.
manton

Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:31 pm

edhayes wrote:I wear black monk straps made of pigskin
Those are spectacular shoes.
manton

Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:34 pm

SouthPender wrote:Perhaps a single-dimensional continuum doesn't capture things ideally.
I basically agree with the order you laid out, though I also agree that it is hard to formulate these things in a way that captures all the nuances.

Also, I am not a fan of cap-toed monks. The only ones that look OK to me are double monks with a plain cap. (In fact, I think double monks need that cap). But single monks I think look better plain toed. And I don't like brogued monks at all.
TVD

Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:37 pm

I like the JL Paris Jermyn II and have found it very versatile. Mine are black. I also have two Berluti RTW monk style shoes, one brogued/medallioned one from the club range, and a very plain one they no longer do. All in black. While I am not too great a friend of the Berluti RTW quality (these were bought before I took the bespoke leap...), I do like the somewhat rakish aspect of the monk. After all, buckles are a very ancient concept in terms of shoes.

But then I love to wear bespoke black Cleverley Chelsea boots with leather strips covering the elastic bits with my business suits. So my shoe tastes may be somewhat suspect.

If you chose a plain Oxford, the shape has to be perfect. RTW is completely out of the question, because the shoe is only redeemed by the perfect poise of heel, bevelled waist, toe cap. Mirror shine. Especially in black, an RTW Oxford is a surefire way to make one's feet look agricultural. Unfortunatley we all (or at least I do) have to compromise for financial reasons.
JMurphy

Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:28 am

Ed Driscoll wrote: Does any manufacturer available in the States make a RTW pair of suede monkstraps besides Alden?
Ferragamo.
Prince Barry

Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:13 am

TM Lewins, although not a shoe maker as such, make really nice Monk Shoes.
jcusey

Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:32 pm

JMurphy wrote:
Ed Driscoll wrote: Does any manufacturer available in the States make a RTW pair of suede monkstraps besides Alden?
Ferragamo.
And Moreschi and Gravati and John Lobb Paris and Crockett & Jones and Edward Green and just about every other manufacturer that sells in the United States. You might have to do a little work to find them, but they are available.
BirdofSydney

Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:59 am

I'm curious as to the notion that both full-brogue oxfords and monkstraps are dressier than plain-toe derbies?
  • Information