Off Row shirts

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
snapper

Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:22 pm

Other than Stephan shirts in Fulham which off Row companies would members go to for a single MTM shirt on the right side of (say) £200 ?

Regards,
Snapper
Luca

Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:00 pm

If you want inexpensive MtM, you might want to invest in some on-line makers.
snapper

Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:08 am

Luca many thanks for your reply.
I did try an on line company but was disappointed. I had also used a local gents outfitters shop, and although the general cut and quality was ok, they had a very limited variety of cloth

Thanks again, regards Snapper
belimad

Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:09 am

I know I will be criticised for this comment, but I've used Charles Tyrwhitt in the past with moderate success. The shirts fit decently well for what they are, they have 3 different cuts I believe, there's some customisation you can do (collar size and sleeve length), they are cheap and fast. The shirts are by any means not designed to last long, and the cloth is what it is, but I've found them to be a suitable option while waiting for my Madrid-based bespoke shirt maker.
old henry

Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:15 pm

your shirts all look great.
Man at C&A

Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:39 pm

Having trodden the same path I've concluded that Stephan is the last man standing. It's a shame their stock cloth offerings are poor but after 3 orders we've dialed in the fit and style to a sufficient degree that I'm prepared to give them decent stuff for a CMT commission.

On the MTO/MTM front the best I found was Grosvenor Shirts at the tacky end of Jermyn Street; their stock cloths are limited and they won't handle customers own cloth. Plus the salesman was an oily little barrowboy who spun me a tail about Prince Charles being a regular customer :lol:

I too have had poor experiences of online. I'm wearing a Luxire shirt as I write but recent orders have been bugged by excessive delays in delivery and appalling communications. After a debacle last year when I supplied a Budd for copy only for the cuffs to arrive 3 inches too small I decided to give them a second chance but 5 weeks in and not a peep from means I'm filing them on the shits lists and they won't be used again.
snapper

Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:36 pm

Belimad thank you for your reply.
I guess others here on site have Charles Tyrwhitt shirts too. I know I do, and at circa 20 pound a go once you accept they are what they are then they are acceptable.

Regards,
Snapper
snapper

Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:58 pm

Man at C&A thank you for your detailed reply.

When I first used Stephan shirts some years ago Erland served me and he was an experienced tailor. Consequently the shirts were a good fit. After he left I was served by the gentleman who now runs the shop and whom I assume you know. A subsequent order for four shirts was a nightmare - odd length sleeves even on the same shirt, misplaced buttons etc etc. As I'm sure you know the shirts are made in Cypres and all I got were excuses that 'they were to blame', 'they did not do what he told them' and so on. I was promised his seamstress would meet me at the shop to put things right - she did not turn up (so he refunded my train fare).
On the next visit she did appear and made the best effort at correcting some of the faults. In the end I settled for ' near enough had to be good enough'

Maybe I was just unlucky, maybe things have improved. I sincerely hope so and wish them well. I don't like to make adverse comments about any company but we were on the subject of troubled shirt making experiences

Best regards,
Snapper
Concordia

Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:18 pm

This would require a little upfront R&D ("Just hop a plane to HK"), but Ascot Chang will do CMT for 150 GBP. Add Acorn cloth, and you're still more or less on the right side of 200.

The catch is you do need to get your pattern squared away. But if you find yourself in the East for a week anyway, this is a useful thing to add to your agenda. Very reliable service and good craftsmanship. And if you stay away from their own cloths (which get to London and Paris prices as you move up the scale), good value.
belimad

Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:51 pm

For 150GBP you can get the best (or second best, depending on who you ask) shirtmaker in Madrid to make you a bespoke shirt. Much closer (and cheaper) flight than HK
alden

Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:47 am

For 150GBP you can get the best (or second best, depending on who you ask) shirtmaker in Madrid to make you a bespoke shirt. Much closer (and cheaper) flight than HK
And you get to enjoy Madrid and some of the best restaurants in Europe. :P
couch

Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:30 am

Sí claro, señor.
aston

Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:01 am

For those of you brave enough to try, have a look at Luxire.

They will make a shirt to your exact specification, even Michael how wide you want your tie space, using your precise measure, or copying the fit of your favourite shirt. Their range of cloth is vast.
snapper

Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:25 pm

Thank you Concordia for your reply.

A few years ago whilst in Hong Kong I had some shirts made locally by a tailor previously recommended by a friend. I gave them a sample shirt to copy (ironically one from Stephan Shirts) and thiers was far better for quality, finish and cut and was certainly no dearer. Of course as you say the problem now would be to keep nipping over there.

Aston thank you for your recommendation.
I will look into it but the previous post by Man at C+A is a little concerning.

Regards,
Snapper
  • Information