Luggage.

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Incroyable

Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:14 pm

What manner of luggage do the forum members use?

I personally find trolley cases ubiquitous and banal, not to mention rather unsightly.
bry2000

Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:22 pm

They may be ubiquitous, but they are very practical. That is what I use.
MildlyConsumptiv

Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:03 pm

I have a brown duffle bag from Pickett. It goes well with my shoes.
JMurphy

Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:35 am

Ghurka for car trips; Tumi rollaway for planes. Yup, the rollaways are ugly, but so very practical. We all suffer for beauty, but modern air travel is so horribly depressing I refuse to suffer. If I could drink a magic elixer to guarantee deep sleep I'd gladly ride in the baggage compartment. Ambien's about as good as it gets--and it's very good indeed.
Étienne

Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:54 am

I use my trusty Lancel rollaway for planes and trains.
tteplitzmd

Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:03 am

Globetrotter, hand luggage, and trolley

www.globe-trotterltd.com
I get them thru Molton Brown, London, ask for Trevor
tteplitzmd

Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:09 am

Trevor is in the Molton Street store, you can get info on the Globe-Trotter line, with dimensions, etc., from Molton Brown's website, which is:

www.brownsfashion.com

Don't patronize the Burlington Arcade showroom. Teplitz's law is: never buy luxury goods from someone who knows less about the product than you do.
rjman

Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:37 am

Dr Teplitz:

I believe Molton Brown and Browns are two different companies, no?

RJ got his start at Browns, FYI.
Incroyable

Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:59 am

Molton Brown is a skincare goods company.

Browns is a retailer that is usually lumped together with Colette, Berlin's Apartment, 10 Corso Como, and such eclectic retailers.
Metcalfe

Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:56 am

I admit to using the Tumi roll-away on planes because it protects my stuff from the cads who force too many bags into overhead compartments. When I travel by train, I bring my soft-sided tweed bag.

I read--maybe in the Financial Times-- that the secret to securing upgrades on international flights was to carry Globe-Trotter. Does anyone have experience with that strategy? If Globe-Trotter increased my odds by 20% I'd toss my Tumi tomorrow.
TVD

Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:40 pm

I do not use luggage with wheels as it looks unelegant, and I cannot use luggage with wooden frames when flying. That reduces my choices to cabin size leather luggage.

I have a chestnut bridle hide bag, and a few hand stitched framed cases to go with it when I go by car from time to time. The bag has survived ten years of air travel, and looks the part.

I am considering to ask Picket to make a leather suit bag for me, but it will have to be custom made to avoid the cluttered look popularized by Tumi etc.
tteplitzmd

Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:52 pm

Brown's on Molton, can't recall if it is the same as Molton Brown, the former is nominally mens and womens clothing, with a confusiing number of small shops on Molton Street.
I have never been upgraded with Globe-Trotter. The luggage is deceptively heavy, but they make very good sizes for carry on. I have with and without wheels, the latter can be used in the conventional carryon manner with out mandatory wheel use. I have been broken down by the airline industry and have begun using, on occasion, the trolley Globe Trotter.
If possible I use a very liight Sport Sac designed for carry on use, no longer made. It weighs nothing, but I don't travel with suits or heavy objects. We have classic leather one and two suiters of English belting hide, whatever that is,, which are beautiful, but aging nicely in the closet, since their weight when filled is prohibitive for practical use.
Mark Seitelman

Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:21 pm

Tumi in black nylon for large suitcase (which collaspes), suit bag, and smaller pieces which are either checked or carried-on. They can withstand the manhandling at the airport.

Tumi is an USA company and made its goods here. I was saddened to see that my most recent piece from this summer was made in China although the Bloomingdale's salesman told me that it was USA made.

I tie a length of pink string on the handles so that I can pick-out my luggage from a distance from all of the other black bags.

It is interesting that when vintage Vuitton luggage goes on sale/auction, many people use it for either storage or furniture. It's too fragile for air travel.

A friend gave me the new Louis Vuitton history. It's a beautiful coffee table book. I'll look at it and dream.
whyescalar

Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:12 pm

Dr. Teplitz:

Which Trolley case do you own? Is it the 21 in? I have considered purchasing one of these for my wife.

I use a Rimowa cabin roller. Lightweight. Travels well.
tteplitzmd

Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:26 pm

Interesting that you ask: I first bought the 18 inch in the green with tan, it is a bit small. I then bought the 21 inch, which is possibly a bit big for cranky cabin attendants, but is a nice size again in the green/tan.

I plan to get a 21 inch for my wife in orange/tan. The pricing and color options is very compicated with Globe-Trotter and the peson who knows the details is Trevor. Basically certain color combinations are cheaper, and price is higher with leather trim, vs. plastic trim. These things get battered with use.

One interesting design issue: the trolleys do NOT have the leather straps that the conventional Globe Trotters have. This is a potential problem if you have to check the trolley, which can happen: it will open up unless it is locked or you buy an external strap to keep it closed---if you lock the trolley you of course run the risk of have it broken by airport security (or blown up). Globe Trotter is a company that operates with the anonymity of the CIA. No address, no phone, won't deal with the public, and only a few dealers in London. I tried to have them fit the Trolley (ordered as "one off" per their label) with the integral leather straps and they declined on some illogical design basis. Rather like your tailor declining to make slacks with one pleat, insisting on double pleats.
  • Information