Day time Black Tie

"He had that supreme elegance of being, quite simply, what he was."

-C. Albaret describing Marcel Proust

Style, chic, presence, sex appeal: whatever you call it, you can discuss it here.
arch

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:21 pm

Probably true, although morning dress is often seen at weddings
hectorm

Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:07 pm

arch wrote: Apart from Mr Benn and the masons, it is almost extinct, a caricature of a professional gent.
I'm sure David meant morning dress when he mentioned formal day wear. What you might have in mind, when you pictured Mr Benn, is a stroller. As Rodes implied above- that would be the daytime equivalent of black tie, the semi-formal evening wear.
davidhuh

Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:09 pm

Noble Savage wrote:If you consider that in former times, and sometimes today, white tie is worn as ceremonial dress during the day...
Dear Noble Savage,

Swedes do it, orchestra musicians do it, conductors do it, some innocent people do it...
I'm neither of those and will abstain 8)
hectorm wrote:
arch wrote: Apart from Mr Benn and the masons, it is almost extinct, a caricature of a professional gent.
I'm sure David meant morning dress when he mentioned formal day wear. What you might have in mind, when you pictured Mr Benn, is a stroller. As Rodes implied above- that would be the daytime equivalent of black tie, the semi-formal evening wear.
Dear Hector,

I meant morning dress indeed. But a stroller would do the job, I agree.

Cheers, David
arch

Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:12 am

As Rodes implied above- that would be the daytime equivalent of black tie, the semi-formal evening wear

Yes, that is what I assumed. In the UK is is generally called 'Pinstripes', not to be confused with a pinstriped suit. It is pretty much all constume these days though. Especially, when MPs no longer have to wear ties to the Commons.
Concordia

Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:09 am

davidhuh wrote:
Noble Savage wrote:If you consider that in former times, and sometimes today, white tie is worn as ceremonial dress during the day...
Dear Noble Savage,

Swedes do it, orchestra musicians do it, conductors do it, some innocent people do it...
I'm neither of those and will abstain...

Cheers, David
I don't know what practice is in Europe, but American orchestras typically don't wear white tie during the day.

The other exception, which is really not the same, is the sub fusc worn at Oxbridge. That is with black suits, though, and not tails.
emde

Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:46 am

Concordia wrote:I don't know what practice is in Europe, but American orchestras typically don't wear white tie during the day.
Depending on the orchestra, but most of them do not wear white tie during the day. I have nevertheless seen conductors (not too many, but...) wearing white tie in morning performances while the orchestra musicians were wearing stroller suits.
Concordia

Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:58 pm

Orchestras staffed by freelancers will often go to black tie, just because everyone will be expected to have that at hand.
Salaried orchestras will generally, for matinees, switch to black/dark suits. Unless they go to the all-black formula, which I am rather coming to like.
hectorm

Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:43 am

Concordia wrote: The other exception, which is really not the same, is the sub fusc worn at Oxbridge. That is with black suits, though, and not tails.
Good point.
Wearing a white tie during the day does not make it wearing white tie during the day. Even if it's worn with tails instead of the black suit, it would be morning dress tails worn with a white tie, like some recalcitrants still do for academic ceremonies (and some shops in Oxford still have them for hire).
Noble Savage

Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:12 am

Yes, there is sub fusc, and morning coats worn with white ties. However, proper white tie worn as daytime ceremonial wear is usually identical to white tie worn in the evening, sometimes with a black waistcoat, as seen in the Vatican, or some forms of European diplomatic or academic dress.
  • Information