On online reviews of artisans

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

degsy

Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:17 pm

I enjoy Simon's blog. It helped me get away from what I was frustrated with (rtw) to where I wanted to go but lacked the knowledge, or time to research. Tailoring styles, fabrics, tailors in London, all helped. Actually, funnily enough, that all led me to where I might find other expert guidance and help on fabulous fabric. London Lounge. Hope I haven't put my foot in it.

Cheers
D
alden

Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:06 am

Degsy

Great to have you on board Degs, and that you made it here safe and sound!

Cheers

Michael
alden

Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:08 am

OK he has gone and done it...take a look

www.frankshattuck.com
old henry

Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:28 pm

tomorrow I will be making a very old world hunting coat on my blog.
Please ask questions.
hectorm

Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:03 pm

old henry wrote: Please ask questions.
Mitchell System, vary curves rule, round back length, old barn beams that after 35 hours of work become ducks, jab-cross- uppercut combos?
Frank, you´re way out of my league for my asking the right questions.
I rather sit back and watch. :)
alden

Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:09 pm

Mitchell System, vary curves rule, round back length, old barn beams that after 35 hours of work become ducks, jab-cross- uppercut combos?
Frank, you´re way out of my league for my asking the right questions.
I rather sit back and watch. :)
...and you should have seen him play Cassius! Never been another like him, scared the toga off Brutus! :D

Cheers
old henry

Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:01 pm

You Guys are great. Thank you so much.
I had no idea anybody was following.
trulhaug

Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:54 am

My Compliments, please keep up the good work ! The website is very informative and interesting :D
old henry

Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:05 pm

Thank you my friend. That is very nice of you. . I will soon post a video. Perhaps today I will have one.
alden

Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:44 pm

My Compliments, please keep up the good work ! The website is very informative and interesting :D
I agree entirely. And this is the kind of website and blog that can be truly useful to newcomers to bespoke tailoring.

So I would encourage all of you to get the word out on the dressing/tailoring web about Shattuck's new tailoring website. If people think they need to be spoon fed, at least they can get fed caviar instead of dog food.

Cheers
smudger

Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:43 pm

Another pseudo style guru. They are plenty. I am told that Mr Crompton is quite disliked among the people he so perpetually plagues for free suits on Savile Row.....

bond_and_beyond wrote:Interesting from Simon Crompton:

https://www.permanentstyle.com/2016/08/ ... icism.html

BB
pur_sang

Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:24 pm

smudger wrote:Another pseudo style guru. They are plenty. I am told that Mr Crompton is quite disliked among the people he so perpetually plagues for free suits on Savile Row.....
Yet he is repeatedly adamant that he does not get things for free, only discounted, I guess it can be 100% discount, who knows...

It is amazing how 'big' he's got with limited qualities, I saw his blog when he first started out, I was not expert then (and no expert now), and I still didn't feel that he had much to offer. Yet, as many have said here, the need to be shown the light is so great in this world fuels his popularity, rather than having some individual thinking, common sense, an eye and a resistance to all that is smoke and mirrors.
hectorm

Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:26 pm

pur_sang wrote:It is amazing how 'big' he's got with limited qualities...
I was somewhat surprised when I recently found that even a traditional house like Budd now has Mr. Crompton as a model and designer on its website (khaki linen safari shirt). That alone does not tell me much about the current quality of Budd´s shirts, but tells me a lot about their new strategy for target marketing and survival.
alden

Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:24 pm

I just can’t imagine the kind of child it was that sitting under his Christmas tree dreamed “someday, Mom, I wanna be a style blogger!” But there you have it. I mean you have them, him, bereft of even a milligram of style, being not only a style blogger but a style oracle! I have come to the conclusion no one else wanted to do it.

Be that as it may, a lot of us were (naive) hopeful when blogs first appeared that they would be a wonderful way to circumvent the raunchy world of paid adverts in magazines: the GQ, write a story, get a fat fee world. I mean it could have been that people who were really experts in subjects could share their knowledge in some other way than the merely commercial. It only rarely happened that way. Editorial blogging, its paid adverts crudely disguised as articles, or insiders reports have flourished. The bloggers merely duplicated the business strategies of odious fashion magazines. Free clothes, goods or services is just the tip of the berg. Advertising revenue is dough. So tinker, tailor, and candlestickmaker, if you want an article, cash gets the keyboard whirring. :D
couch

Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:00 pm

alden wrote:Advertising revenue is dough. So tinker, tailor, and candlestickmaker, if you want an article, cash gets the keyboard whirring. :D
Indeed. Sometimes with a cynicism so deeply internalized that it's not even conscious. One of the dark sides of technology's impact on cognition and ethics. This, for example, from another domain.
  • Information