English people in London?

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
Dr T

Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:07 pm

Can you imagine my embarrassment, I was with a group of Russian speaking clients in London and one asked me -where do you find English people in London. More importantly they wanted to know where they could get traditional English food - my immediate thought was Simpsons in the Strand.
Still reeling from the shock of the first question I observed the entire staff of the hotel we were in were Eastern European, the Hotel I was staying in was staffed by people from South America.
So if you were in a similar situation what would your recommendations be? Am I in mortal danger of becoming extinct?
couch

Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:07 pm

You might try Heywood Hill books on Curzon street for English people.

The London hospitality/food service industry may be the most diverse of any since the early days of Common Market membership, with the possible exception of the building trades.

I can't vouch for the national origins of all the staff, but for updated traditional British food there's a great pie shop in Borough Market; Neal's Yard Dairy for Cheese (or Paxton and Whitfield). Golden Hind for a chippy, also upstairs at the Grapes in Limehouse for fish and mushy peas--I'm sure there are a number of other good pubs for grub (is The Lamb on Lamb's Conduit still up to scratch?) Rule's has kept up a bit better than Simpson's IMO; I think of Irishman Richard Corrigan's splendid eponymous restaurant or his glorious little Bentley's oyster bar; Hix's chop house, Hix at Brown's is a bit more adventurous but excellent. Roast upstairs over Borough Market has good food if variable atmosphere. And lovely traditional baked goods and tea can be had in a delightful setting in nice weather at the Chelsea Physic Garden. No doubt other members will have more current suggestions and ideas about dining at clubs.
Last edited by couch on Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Luca

Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:50 am

If one, in the unthinking tourists's way, wants to be entirely surrounded by British monoculture (forgetting that their very presence negates it), London will be a challenge.

However, many parts of London retain an essentially British character, especially in the more expensive portions of Zone 2. But, as in NYC, one would struggle to find a situation where they are the only foreigner.
For that, the Home Counties are a better bet though of course they would still be 5-10% foreign (rough guess).
aston

Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:13 pm

I would add Wilton's on Jermyn Street, and J. Sheekey to Couch's list.
Concordia

Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:30 pm

It's a little like the Robin Williams film "Moscow on the Hudson." In the process of sketching an authentic picture of New York, it goes pretty far in before actually depicting any native-born New Yorkers.
Dr T

Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:33 pm

Couch - great suggestions -thank
you.
hectorm

Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:49 pm

Dr T wrote: where do you find English people in London? Am I in mortal danger of becoming extinct?
Earlier this year, while spending a few days in London, I took my son to watch an Arsenal´s game at the Emirates Stadium (a beauty, BTW). Surrounded by gooners, it might have been the only moment of our vacation when we were the only foreigners.
Scot

Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:54 pm

Lord's cricket ground during a domestic match would be a fairly safe bet, although you are almost too late. And once they understand cricket they will know a lot more about the English :)
couch

Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:06 pm

aston wrote:I would add Wilton's on Jermyn Street, and J. Sheekey to Couch's list.
+1 on these, for sure.
gegarrenton

Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:49 pm

I'm not sure it's fits the exact criteria you are going for waitstaff wise, but the Woseley has plenty of British food and at least some Brits dining usually.

Mews of Mayfair does a fair Sunday Roast.
Man at C&A

Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:26 pm

You could try a boozer in Leadenhall Market on a Friday evening from 5 o'clock onwards. Being careful of what you wish for springs to mind however.... :?
couch

Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:53 pm

gegarrenton wrote:I'm not sure it's fits the exact criteria you are going for waitstaff wise, but the Woseley has plenty of British food and at least some Brits dining usually.
I love the Wolseley, but I always think of it as faux-Viennese. But you're right, they have plenty of traditional English fare on the menu and do a decent afternoon tea if you don't mind bustle. Their little bar gets high marks from me because they keep their Plymouth in a tiny freezer (at least they did when last I drank there a year or so ago).
Dr T

Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:48 pm

:D As always the London Lounge has come to the rescue
Dr T

Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:18 pm

What are your views on eating at London clubs, I suspect its not easy as admission is normally only with a member. Favourite clubs?
Melcombe

Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:17 pm

Ha, Russians in London : my increasingly naturalised Russian lawyer chum lives in chi-chi Dulwich and has developed a Russo-Cockney accent that Dick Van Dyke would've been proud of. He pointed out that since his son was born in East London, he could be a Proper Pearly King when he grows up. Gertchah!

Despite the peculiar circumstances prevailing in Post-Referendum UK presently... I trust that Brits generally and English in particular are not actually the xenophobes they might be portrayed as.

"There's bloody loads of foreign people in London, y'know..." might have been as apt a comment in 1st Century Londinium as it is now. There was a great archaeology prog a while back called "Meet the Ancestors" - one episode of which (can't find on Y-tube) followed the excavation of a Roman burial in Bishopsgate, the evidence suggested a v well settled immigrant community then, with London then being the epicentre of immigration down the centuries.

There are many more foreign-born people in London now than when I first worked there nearly 30 years ago - and it is undoubtedly a better place to do business as a result IMHO.

The problem with the label "immigrant" here is that almost everyone seems to have some degree of immigrant ancestry to a greater or lesser extent (unlike in some parts of Europe) so perception of 'foreign-ness' is a very stretchy relative term. I signed up for one of those DNA tests (a great lark) only to find that instead of deep Welsh ancestry, my patrilineal heritage is north German / Baltic coast, and probably arrived in the 6th Century. And I'll bet the passport queues at Stanstead were just as bad then as they are now.

If you want to find relatively undiluted Anglo-agglomeration you'll probably be best served by heading to Frinton, Eastbourne or Budleigh Salterton. Each charming in its way.
  • Information