Luggage

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
DonB

Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:58 am

For what it is worth: I am content with the Rimowa Limbo I bought. A friend of mine bought a Limbo too and likes it.
Luca

Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:43 am

uppercase wrote:I've got a globetrotter.
Suckered into buying it because of all of the hype.
It's a POS.
Still, it garners compliments from strangers. I can't understand why. Maybe the retro look. Makes me look more interesting than I am. Just another charade. And maybe the strangers are strange for looking at people's luggage uninvited . Always a possibility. They'll do that with perfume as well. Sniffing.
Otherwise, it doesn't work and couldn't recommend it.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Uppercase, I'm sorry your purchase turned out unsatisfactory but perhaps you can draw some comfort from the knowledge that you made me guffaw.
...and probably saved me some money.

I've been considering some luggage more in keeping with my preferred 'retro' aesthetic and Globetrotter. The prices are sort of breathtaking, though.
culverwood

Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:40 am

It's a POS.
Still, it garners compliments from strangers. I can't understand why. Maybe the retro look. Makes me look more interesting than I am. Just another charade. And maybe the strangers are strange for looking at people's luggage uninvited . Always a possibility. They'll do that with perfume as well. Sniffing.
Otherwise, it doesn't work and couldn't recommend it.
Whats your problem? I have not had any problems with mine and like you said it is always nice to get the compliments they seem to attract.
davidhuh

Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:48 pm

It's a POS.
Dear Uppercase,

not sure what you mean or what you are unhappy about. I live out of my 3 Globetrotters since 6 years now, and I'm in the air on average once per week. They are practical, age well, and the factory does a great job on repairs and customer service. So I can only recommend them.

Cheers, David
hectorm

Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:19 pm

It's a POS.
I will not go as far as calling it a POS, but when I considered buying one carry-on Globetrotter some time ago (mainly for the handsome look and sturdy construction) I quickly discarded the idea since it did not have the couple of easy access exterior compartments that I need.
Scot

Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:43 pm

One of my concerns is the zip fasteners and associated locking devices on so many of the products out there. How sturdy are they? I am much more inclined to trust a traditional latch-type lock.
aston

Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:09 pm

Unless you are looking for a fashion statement, you simply cannot go wrong with Briggs and Riley. It is durable and practical; I have flown at least twice a week for the last 25 years and it is by far the best travel companion I have had.
davidhuh

Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:00 pm

hectorm wrote: I will not go as far as calling it a POS, but when I considered buying one carry-on Globetrotter some time ago (mainly for the handsome look and sturdy construction) I quickly discarded the idea since it did not have the couple of easy access exterior compartments that I need.
Dear Hector,

agree, I'm not using Globetrotter as a carry-on and would not recommend it for precisely the reason you mention.

Cheers, David
uppercase

Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:50 pm

3 problems with globetrotter carry on I have:
1. Handle too short. Keeps bumping into my heels. Makes me walk sideways to avoid that. Bump. Bump.
2. Suitcase wobbles back and forth when being wheeled. Because wheels are too close together. Poor design. Not stable. Wobble. Wobble.
3. Lock latches temperamental. Requires too much attention to get it all done up. Like my ex. Who has time for that anymore?!!. Regardless the looks and compliments.

I have a room full of old, unused luggage. I used to like luggage. But now I just like a leather duffle bag. But I can't and don't want to carry that anymore. So I'll stick with my old globetrotter flaws and all. It's pretty English in that respect, flawed but endearing and even if it doesn't work, we'll make accommodations.
culverwood

Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:14 am

uppercase wrote:3 problems with globetrotter carry on I have:
1. Handle too short. Keeps bumping into my heels. Makes me walk sideways to avoid that. Bump. Bump.
2. Suitcase wobbles back and forth when being wheeled. Because wheels are too close together. Poor design. Not stable. Wobble. Wobble.
3. Lock latches temperamental. Requires too much attention to get it all done up. Like my ex. Who has time for that anymore?!!. Regardless the looks and compliments.
I agree that Globetrotter is not an ideal carry on. One of mine is a an Orient Urushi carry on and points 1 and 2 are well made though I think the newer ones have wider spaced wheels though a touch less internal space. If you are travelling alone the lack of outside pockets is also a negative. The straps also make it a fiddle to open and close at security if necessary.

Nevertheless when my wife and I are travelling together I still use it. It just looks so cool.

The above points do not apply the the suitcases though the lack of 4 wheels could be considered a negative these days.
Simon A

Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:34 am

http://www.thechopperbag.com/
DonB wrote:
Simon A wrote:(...)

You could also look for a genuine Chopper Bag http://www.leathergoods.com.au/chopper.htm, an Australian duffle bag designed to be strapped to the skids of a single-seater helicopter, used by pilots while aerial-mustering cattle in the remote north.
These are very well made, rugged, waterproof (leather base and double-layer canvas construction), neatly finished, come in many colours and are inexpensive.
I suppose Dominant Leather Goods do not manufacture these bags anymore. I would like to know if members have found alternatives.
hectorm

Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:00 pm

culverwood wrote: The above points do not apply the the suitcases though the lack of 4 wheels could be considered a negative these days.
In the 70s, when Macy´s first popularized wheels on suitcases, Peter Sellers used to say that a gentleman carries -not drags- his own hand luggage (and, I guess, a porter carries the rest).
Noble Savage

Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:49 am

hectorm wrote:
culverwood wrote: The above points do not apply the the suitcases though the lack of 4 wheels could be considered a negative these days.
In the 70s, when Macy´s first popularized wheels on suitcases, Peter Sellers used to say that a gentleman carries -not drags- his own hand luggage (and, I guess, a porter carries the rest).
The right idea. Having a suitcase on wheels is halfway to riding a Segway. Not a wheelman myself.

Here's why. When you roll something, you become the beast of burden, the locomotive of something else. You're pulling, pushing, and you're suddenly not as important as what is in your luggage. If you are carrying something, on the other hand, you are in control. Your bag is a mere accessory, just something you picked up.
uppercase

Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:32 pm

^^^

I don't disagree with you about wheels.
I pretty much hate everything about them.

Yet they are practical if repulsive.

In fact I am looking for a better set of wheels,
Ones that push as well as pull.

The Rimowa seems to be the ticket.
Plus their electronic tag system with smartphones check in
is interesting.

Anything to make traveling less of a trauma.

Luggage has to I'm afraid be practical.

But if we want to talk about something beautiful and pleasurable to carry, then we
need to start talking about leather briefcases.
Concordia

Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:42 pm

I have Rimowa bags and a few different types of B&R. If you want bullet-proof reliability and practicality, go for B&R. The Torq line looks almost as cool as Rimowa, anyway.
  • Information