Pairing trousers with a hopsack blazer

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
Slh

Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:56 pm

I own a navy hopsack blazer, what type of fabric would you recommend for trousers?
I was thinking about fresco, tropical wool and linen. I'm thinking to opt for linen trousers because they are cheaper, easier to find on local shops and I don't mind the wrinkles. I realize fresco and tropical wool would be more formal, but I'm not looking for a formal look afterall.
What do you think?
Thank you for your help.
Concordia

Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:53 pm

That's one of the most flexible fabrics to pair. Dress it up or down; almost anything of any color has a chance of working. There's a reason that it was once referred to as the "preppy exo-skeleton."
Last edited by Concordia on Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luca

Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:48 pm

Slh wrote:I own a navy hopsack blazer, what type of fabric would you recommend for trousers?
I was thinking about fresco, tropical wool and linen. I'm thinking to opt for linen trousers because they are cheaper, easier to find on local shops and I don't mind the wrinkles. I realize fresco and tropical wool would be more formal, but I'm not looking for a formal look afterall.
What do you think?
Thank you for your help.
Forget about the 'formality', if you're not interested in that aspect.

I think a good, light (I know, apostasy...) fresco wears cooler and neater than most linens.
I'm not a fan of tailored linen trousers, personally,
davidhuh

Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:41 pm

Dear Slh,

don't forget considering grey flannel.

Cheers, David
Concordia

Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:02 pm

Or chinos, or Bedford cord, or cavalry twill, or corduroy, or even Donegal tweed...
rodes

Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:22 pm

Just about anything except jeans, especially blue jeans. I see this trend more and more and it hurts my eyes. The blues cannot possibly match and who, in his right mind, would wear non matching, blue dress trousers with a navy blazer? Moreover the outdoor working nature of the denim conflicts with the refined, casual nature of the blazer. This mode of dress is only for sports casters and political pundits who sit behind desks and even they should avoid it.
Slh

Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:00 pm

rodes wrote:Just about anything except jeans, especially blue jeans. I see this trend more and more and it hurts my eyes. The blues cannot possibly match and who, in his right mind, would wear non matching, blue dress trousers with a navy blazer? Moreover the outdoor working nature of the denim conflicts with the refined, casual nature of the blazer. This mode of dress is only for sports casters and political pundits who sit behind desks and even they should avoid it.
Concordia wrote:Or chinos, or Bedford cord, or cavalry twill, or corduroy, or even Donegal tweed...
I agree, no jeans. I don't like the look. At the moment I wear the jacket with chinos in different colours ( khaki, olive green) but as I said I wanted a pair of trousers more formal than chinos, but at the same time I don't want very formal trousers. I also noticed fresco trousers are very hard to find in beige/tan/ cream colour, only in grey. Navy and grey even tho is a very correct pairing, looks to me like is too formal, so I thought about linen trousers in beige, but many have adviced against them.
davidhuh wrote:Dear Slh,

don't forget considering grey flannel.

Cheers, David
well, the jacket is a summery hopsack, only 10oz and I wear it only in summer, so I don't think flannel would be a nice candidate. I noticed people wear hopsack even in winter tho.
Luca wrote:
Forget about the 'formality', if you're not interested in that aspect.

I think a good, light (I know, apostasy...) fresco wears cooler and neater than most linens.
I'm not a fan of tailored linen trousers, personally,
I'm not that interested in formality because the jacket is a navy hopsack with natural shoulders, patch pockets and brown horn buttons ( it's an informal jacket) and I like to wear jackets during my leisure time or during family gathering ( or similar circumstances). Navy jacket+grey trousers looks like I'm headed for the office, something I would look not if I'm wearing a navy jacket with cream linen trousers. I realize I could do an informal job interview with the navy jacket and grey fresco trousers, something I could not if I'm wearing wrinkled linen trousers.
Rob O

Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:54 pm

A nice pair of tailored flannel trousers from Anderson and Sheppard could be all you ever need. I'm planning to ask Steven Hitchcock to make me up a couple of pairs.
rodes

Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:51 pm

More to the point, one of my favorite choices is the checked trouser with the navy blazer. Tutee once called this "a lost art". Say a POW grey with slightly larger scale than normal business suiting and no colored over-check. Or, a traditional tartan if the occasion permits. One nice thing, you can easily go with a heavier weight than 10 ounces for the trousers. You will likely not notice the moderate warmth, as you might for a coat, and look better in the process.
aston

Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:52 pm

It is all down to personal taste but, given that I am now on the wrong side of 60 but my measures are pretty much exactly the same as they were when I was 30, I really enjoy wearing a beautifully made blazer or tweed coat with a pair of jeans and suede loafers because, when I do, most folk who don't know me think I am in my early 50's. Believe me, that is a nice feeling!!
Rob O

Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:06 pm

aston wrote:I really enjoy wearing a beautifully made blazer or tweed coat with a pair of jeans and suede loafers because, when I do, most folk who don't know me think I am in my early 50's. Believe me, that is a nice feeling!!
Did they think that way when you were 30 also? :D
aston

Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:18 am

Rob O

Sadly it was such a long time ago that I can't remember............
gegarrenton

Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:31 pm

aston wrote:It is all down to personal taste but, given that I am now on the wrong side of 60 but my measures are pretty much exactly the same as they were when I was 30, I really enjoy wearing a beautifully made blazer or tweed coat with a pair of jeans and suede loafers because, when I do, most folk who don't know me think I am in my early 50's. Believe me, that is a nice feeling!!
Well I'm still in my 30's (barely) and I'm right there with you!
hectorm

Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:22 pm

aston wrote: I really enjoy wearing a beautifully made blazer with a pair of jeans and suede loafers because, when I do, most folk who don't know me think I am in my early 50's. Believe me, that is a nice feeling!!
Dear Aston:
I´m glad you enjoy that feeling and I hope you keep enjoying it for the next 30 years.
Although, I believe that your looking younger has very little to do with the blazer/jeans combo. That is a combination that just by itself can go terribly wrong, that in no way ensures a youthful look in an older person and that can even make a young person look bad.
I suspect that your looking younger might be more related to your silhouette and the trim cut of your well tailored clothes than anything else (and also to your youthful attitude while wearing an informal outfit that is viewed as a younger chap´s territory).
  • Information