Sweater Vest

"He had that supreme elegance of being, quite simply, what he was."

-C. Albaret describing Marcel Proust

Style, chic, presence, sex appeal: whatever you call it, you can discuss it here.
rodes

Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:48 pm

It occurred to me yesterday as I was going out the door to church, that the sweater vest is one of the most useful items a man can have, especially in winter. Colorful, stylish yet conventional at the same time, warm and so versatile. Not many things can be worn equally well with a suit, jeans and all modes between. It rarely needs washed and is even more rarely out of place. The thing simply does not wear out and flatters both bean poles and barrels. If all of this were not enough, it's cheap, perhaps 30$ for lasting richness and enjoyment.
couch

Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:51 am

Indeed, and a lovely Shetland sleeveless jumper was commissioned a few years back by Alden and the LL, with a 1930s-depth V for wearing with a tie and a proper (shorter) length for wearing with trousers that actually come to the waist. I would be very interested if practical followups might be considered. The only change I'd make would be slightly (1") deeper armholes for comfort under jackets. More Shetland, Scottish lambswool, camel hair, solids, patterns, what do you say, Michael?

On a related note, does anyone have experience with this firm? I'm very tempted by this garment, knit to size.
Luca

Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:52 pm

I concur with Rodes. I would add that buttoned knitted vests are now widely available and, in my opinion, are even more elegant (and no less practical) than pull-over ones. They are a somewhat less formal alternative to a 'proper' suiting-material vest.

As a side question, in defiance of what is perhaps the 'best form' does anyone find that, when wearing a vest, it is more natural / acceptable to wear one's jacket open?
hectorm

Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:41 pm

Luca wrote: As a side question, in defiance of what is perhaps the 'best form' does anyone find that, when wearing a vest, it is more natural / acceptable to wear one's jacket open?
Natural: no. Jackets are cut to be worn buttoned up. So I find it's more natural to wear them that way, with or without a vest, at least when standing up.
Acceptable: yes, wait....no, well....perhaps. Since the wearing of a vest prevents from showing a bunching shirt (or our braces clips :lol:), I guess we could say it's more acceptable to wear one's jacket open, let's say for comfort in a relaxed environment. But Astaire even danced with his vested dinner jackets or morning suits fastened. And with a sports jacket...maybe, but I think that a 3 piece suit should be almost always buttoned up.
  • Information