Beautiful Pens

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
Dr T

Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:38 pm

Rob O wrote:
Dr T wrote:How do you up load photos onto this subject -so far failed miserably :x
Create a free account at photobucket / imageshack / flickr etc., upload your pictures then get a link which you cut and paste between the image placeholders (click on the "Img" button when you compose your note).
Still having difficulty - what am i missing?
C.Lee

Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:49 pm

"A" for effort Dr. T.

Use the code below, where x is your link http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah2 ... hoyb08.jpg:

How are you enjoying your stay in Paris?

Regards.
Dr T

Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:37 pm

C.Lee wrote:"A" for effort Dr. T.

Use the code below, where x is your link http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah2 ... hoyb08.jpg:

How are you enjoying your stay in Paris?

Regards.
Paris was great - thanks for the help with the phots. The pen shops I visited were all small - with main stream brands. I enjoyed Plume and Bille. The owner gave me a beautiful book on current pens. The French were delightful and very polite and helpful.
Dr T

Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:45 pm

The big problem with LL is that I always end up spending a lot. Rob & Aristide; I have just received two pen nib customs from Niche pens -delighted with the results.
Just purchased another Montegrapper and had a nib job done by Nibbs.com in the USA -first class service and delighted with the results. So many thanks. :D
Dr T

Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:10 pm

Oh dear - I've just purchased a Nakaya fountain pen, I'm trying to improve my writing so its back to copperplate. Any views on where to get really nice stationery?
uppercase

Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:43 pm

http://www.smythson.com/us/

They have nice paper.
couch

Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:09 am

If you're going all the way back to copperplate you might also like Falkiners Fine Papers, now incorporated into Sheperds. You can pick up reed pens, quills, and Japanese sumi-e brushes too.
Dr T

Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:21 am

Many thanks couch and uppercase. :D
Dr T

Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:46 pm

I have moved entirely to Nakaya pens -beautifully made. All of the nibs however have had to be customised - what a price to pay for being left - handed. They are all beautiful to write with.
Tutumulut

Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:36 am

Dr T wrote:I have moved entirely to Nakaya pens -beautifully made. All of the nibs however have had to be customised - what a price to pay for being left - handed. They are all beautiful to write with.
I second that! A Nakaya Long Writer is my only fountain pen at the moment. I love the feel, how understated it is and how it writes. It was adjusted for being a leftie as well. That was done by nibs.com, who impressed me with their service and knowledge. Highly recommended for those living in the USA or having access to it. (and no, I have no relations to the company).

T
Rob O

Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:44 am

Tutumulut wrote:
Dr T wrote:I second that! A Nakaya Long Writer is my only fountain pen at the moment. I love the feel, how understated it is and how it writes. It was adjusted for being a leftie as well. That was done by nibs.com, who impressed me with their service and knowledge. Highly recommended for those living in the USA or having access to it. (and no, I have no relations to the company).
T
I have never tried these pens and would love to try a Long Fountain Pen Kuro-tamenuri (Black-Red). Other than the obvious visual and sensual pleasures of the pen, what are the writing benefits over and above, say, a Pelikan? Are the nibs more flexible? Is it easier to tune the nib for italic work? Are they smoother to use?
Russell

Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:55 pm

Rob O wrote:
Tutumulut wrote:
Dr T wrote:I second that! A Nakaya Long Writer is my only fountain pen at the moment. I love the feel, how understated it is and how it writes. It was adjusted for being a leftie as well. That was done by nibs.com, who impressed me with their service and knowledge. Highly recommended for those living in the USA or having access to it. (and no, I have no relations to the company).
T
I have never tried these pens and would love to try a Long Fountain Pen Kuro-tamenuri (Black-Red). Other than the obvious visual and sensual pleasures of the pen, what are the writing benefits over and above, say, a Pelikan? Are the nibs more flexible? Is it easier to tune the nib for italic work? Are they smoother to use?
I use a Nakaya pen supplied (to me in the UK) by 'NIbs.com' as mentioned above.

I'd have to say that in a practical sense the nib 'fettling' by 'Nibs' is what really makes the pen a superb writer. I'm also left handed & they altered the nib for precisely my style of writing as well as made sure the tines were set correctly etc.

Have a look at the relevant video clip on their website to see the difference their 'pre-sales' checking & adjustment does.

Nakaya pens are lovely to handle & made in a manner we can all appreciate here at the LL, I recommend them - however as far as actual writing 'quality' is concerned I'd be happy to buy any pen 'Nibs' sell purely based on the customised 'nib' service they offer on all their pens.

Regards
Russell
Rob O

Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:55 pm

Thanks Russell,

I have used nibs.com in the past and have been very happy. As a left handed writer myself I needed some work doing to the nib to accommodate my writing style. I have read that the Nakaya pen nibs have more flex to them than the average Pelikan, aiding line variation for copperplate.
sartorczar

Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:08 am

I'm surprised there's no mention of Waterman fountain pens, which I find to be top of the line. They have considerable weight in the hand, write smoothly, and never leak. The model "exception" is truly a work of art. I agree that Montblanc is overrated, and also agree that Peilkan is an excellent instrument. It's time to bring back the fountain pen, not to mention the art of traditional letter writing!
  • Information