Douglas Hayward - moved? closed down?

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

TLRJ

Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:09 pm

I passed the Mount Street shop the other day and it was empty? Does anyone know if they've moved? Or closed down?
hectorm

Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:11 pm

I´ve never been a big fan of Douglas Hayward tailoring. When Mr. Hayward was alive, the house output followed fashion trends too closely for my taste (all those thin lapels first, then the bell bottoms, etc.)
When he passed away, Ritchie Charlton and Campbell Carey carried the torch for a while but they both left last year for greener pastures.
I will miss the handsome store on Mount St., though.
Concordia

Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:48 am

Rather a shame-- I liked the look of the jackets they had in the window. A soft shoulder with a crisp body.
andreyb

Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:56 am

My tailors told me that Hayward is gone for good. Owners are trying to find a buyer, but this is really only a name and an address now -- not that much to get for one's money.

Andrey
hectorm

Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:18 pm

Concordia wrote:Rather a shame--
Unfortunately it continues a regrettable trend on Mount St. which has always been one of my favorite London promenades (particularly the eastern blocks).
There are still a few gems along its sidewalks, but much of the traditional British essence -that I enjoyed so much- has been lost giving way to something more aseptic, more international.
gegarrenton

Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:09 pm

andreyb wrote:My tailors told me that Hayward is gone for good. Owners are trying to find a buyer, but this is really only a name and an address now -- not that much to get for one's money.

Andrey
Sorry to hear. The shop has been empty for at least six months now, if not longer.
alexeberlin

Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:14 pm

sorry to hear that. I had hoped one day to be a client of theirs.
fineanddandy

Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:28 pm

hectorm wrote:I´ve never been a big fan of Douglas Hayward tailoring. When Mr. Hayward was alive, the house output followed fashion trends too closely for my taste (all those thin lapels first, then the bell bottoms, etc.)
When he passed away, Ritchie Charlton and Campbell Carey carried the torch for a while but they both left last year for greener pastures.
I will miss the handsome store on Mount St., though.
Do you know which greener pastures
hectorm

Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:28 pm

fineanddandy wrote: Do you know which greener pastures
Charlton is currently the head of men´s tailoring for the Alexander McQueen label. Carey is the Head Cutter at Huntsman.
  • Information